Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 31 yo married mother of 3. I am in the process of getting insurance approval for lap band surgery. I met with my physician this week and he is really trying to push me towards the gastric bypass. After careful consideration and discussing the surgery with my family, we all feel the lap band is safer and a healthier way to go. I am joining the support group because i want to be as informed as possible prior to my surgery. I don't want to gain any unrealistic expectations and I feel this is the best way to go about getting the knowledge I need. I am very excited to have the surgery. Although I am 95% happy with myself right now at 278, I know that being slimmer means being healthier. Currently I don't have any health disparities, but for my children's sake I would like to keep it that way.:)

my doctor tried to talk me into the bypass also, I don't know why they do this except that there is a quicker initial weight loss. But by doing alot of research, it seems like the band is better in the long run. I don't want to sound too negative, but the health problems will be just around the corner when you are overweight. I am a prime example. For years I said I am happy and healthy, then my BP went way up and my knees started really hurting.

The Lapband is the tool I need to help me get healthy again

Hey Debbs,

How cool we were banded the same day!! I too agree that the weight loss is slower for sure in the beginning but good things come to those who wait. My MD never tried to talk to me about the bypass, but I also told him that I wasn't finished having children, and he recommended that the Lapband would be the best for me. I am about 3 week post op and have lost about 20 lbs, I have kind of hit a stall, and have been trying to beef up my exercise program with hopes that the scale will start moving. We'll see, I now I have to be patient, and I am

Veronica

If you have a surgeon who is trying to push you, get another surgeon. He is trying to have you follow his agenda, not what is best for you. GBS has more health issues and also has a failure rate (think of people who gain back afterward)....stick by your guns. Look at my stats...I started very obese. My surgeon presented, in his seminar, both GBS and LB fairly and unbiased. He lets the patient choose what is right for him or her, figuring we know ourselves WAY better than he does. I've lost 40 and don't see any reason why, 3 years out, I'll be at goal and be healthier and happier than any GBS patient.

Every doctor has their preference. You need to make the decision that is best for you. Your weight does not seem exceptionally high althought I don't know your height. Lapband works well for those that are willing to work it. The best part of it for me is that it is adjustable so I cann keep it at just the right level to keep losing weight.

If you read the bandster rules and find that these are something that you can be committed to following, you can find success. It also hopes if you do not tend to graze all day and are more of an overeater.

Another important thing to consider is whether you will have significant problems with slider foods/sweets. You have to avoid them after banding, can you do this and are they a big issue for you now? The band will not prevent you from eating these things while R&Y can give you dumping syndrome.

I think both options will help you lose weight, which is the best is such a personal decision. Banding was my personal choice and I feel that I made the right one . . . had my issues been different I might have gone the R&Y route.

I haven't had the band put in yet, but my surgeon also presented both the band and GB at the seminar. He also said that they do whatever the patient chooses, so they don't put a person who wants the band to do GB or vice-versa. I think it should be your decision and not that of the surgeons. JMO!