Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded Wednesday afternoon, and I'm working my way through the week one full liquid diet.

I am a little concerned about calorie count though. I haven't seen much about calories in the info packet i received from the doctor, so I'm not sure how much difference it really makes.

I stayed overnight in the hospital, and was on Clear liquids all yesterday. Today, I've had:

4x4oz servings of Ensure

1x4oz serving of strained Cream of Mushroom Soup

1x2oz serving of apple juice (to mix in crushed meds)

By my count, this is about 557 calories.

In a previous failed dieting attempt, I suffered through the Optifast program - which I believe provided about 1000 calories per day.

Question is, am I getting enough calories? I am somewhat light headed and have a splitting headache.

Thanks.

Hi:

You probably aren't getting enough calories. Make sure that you do because this is a time for healing, not a time for losing. It's a bonus for those who do lose before they get restriction. I actually retained Fluid and gained 9 pounds in 3 days after surgery even though I was sticking to the liquid diet.

I don't remember the specifics for when I was first banded, but I remember that they were pushing the Protein.

Please take your liquid multi-Vitamins too.

BEst wishes to you.

Take care.

Sue

My doctor told me not to worry about calories in the beginning. Just make sure you get your 60-80g of Protein a day and stay well hydrated. But everyone's diet plan is different. Good luck in your journey!

Thanks for the quick responses.

I think I'll have a little thinned milkshake before bed to pump up calories AND Protein.

I agree the 1st weeks postop are for healing. You have enough fat stores so that only getting 557 calories won't hurt you. You shouldn't get dizzy unless you have blood sugar issues....if you do, tell your doc. And make sure you're drinking Protein that is doc approved. Mine wanted us on nothing but Water, broth, and Jello for the 1st week.

RestlessMonkey - the clear liquid diet for a week is insane.

How did you do it?

Actually, it's not insane. Your stomach churns with everything you eat....and a churning stomach is a big NO NO post op because the doc sutures your band in place. It can tear loose and lead to slippage and erosion. I didn't go through all this just to eat the first 2 weeks and mess it up! The 2nd week we got to add Protein Shakes. Now I'm on mushies and through that worst part and it's all good. If you can't do a few weeks of liquid only, you need to talk to your surgeon. It's not a punishment nor to see if you can "diet" but to heal the stoma. Preop I followed one almost as severe to shrink my liver. It's just a little bit of time ... it's not the most fun I ever had but I lost 41 pounds and that helped make it all worth it!

I also had a low calorie intake for the last few weeks (always less than 600) and now I am eating food and also taking in about the same amount! I am trying to figure out what to do as well.

I think if you are hydrated, feel good and are healing well it should be ok... just get the Protein in, that's the important part!

My husband just went through his pre op diet and the nutritionist told him to alternate 5oz Protein Drink 1 hour and Water the next hour. It will feel like you are drinking all day because it should still take you 30 minutes to drink your Protein drink, but they want us to make sure to have 5oz of a protein drink every other hour that we are awake during the day time. I hope this helps. let me know if you have any questions. We are both having the surgery he is just a week ahead of me, but I was at his pre op appointment so i have a little head start on the info :)

I had a diet similar to Restless Monkey, I'm on mushies also. But I don't think I had anything but Water the first 2 days, third and fourth day I had Clear Liquids and was a bit light headed, but you also need to take your Vitamins. You aren't eating right, so you need to take your vitamins and drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. Every time I got light headed I would remember my Vitamin and it would go away. Not getting enough Iron can make you light headed also. I was told not to worry about calories at this point and be more concerned with healing and this post-op diet in stages is a way of helping you adapt to the band without causing any problems.

Edited by themis

I was banded Wednesday afternoon,

Did you know there is a group of us called the September Samaurai, feel free to look for us and join in. We are friendly and supportive people.

I will look for the samurai.

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm going to try a whey bullet today - 3 oz, 42 grams of whey Protein. Read on another post it qualified as a clear liquid.

I saw my doctor at 1 week pre-op and he said it was fine that I was taking in about 500 calories or less as long as I was getting enough Protein. Also, he did not want all my Protein to be from liquid (Isopure, bullets) because the powders have a little carbs in them where the pre-made do not.

I hated the yogurty after taste of Isopure, and the thickness of the bullet. Thanks to my LBT friends, if you put a crystal light (lemonade worked for all flavors for me) in the Ispopure and mix the bullet with Water and cyrstal light, it was yummy. Or at least tolerable. Good luck to you.

Isopure is so gross ha ha J&K... I bought one and tried it and 3 of us tried it and we all were disgusted by it .. at first it seems alright and then you have that awful after taste that NEVER wants to go away ha ha..