Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 2 years ago..no weight loss

I was banded in September 2006, had a baby in November 2007, and here I am, weighing the same.

I never got enough restriction before I became pg. The good thing is I only gained 15 pounds during my pregnancy, and it all came off within a few week post partum.

But here I am, back at the same weight. I went to my dr's for a fill, and have the next fill in one month. But I'm feeling skeptical, b/c the band never seemed to work for me.

I would feel restriction, but hunger. Wanted to eat again about an hour later. This is not how it is supposed to be, is it?

Why are dr's so conservative with the fills? Is it possible I just never got enough restriction?

I think that's very possible that you never got enough restriction. For me getting the right fill really helped with the feeling of hunger. Although getting full feels different with the band than without. It's higher up in the body and you have to learn how to recognize it.

I always read people's comments about how whenever you're ready to work the band, it's still there, waiting for you. I hope that rings true for you.

By the way not all docs are that conservative with fills, but it's not always a good thing because they end up overfilling patients. Keep at it and you'll get there. You have the tool, you might as well get it to the point where it actually is helping you.

Get focused and I am sure that you don't have the right fill. I asked my dr. yesterday why it takes so many fills to get where you need to be. He replied that the stomach can't handle 1 big fill. It would rebel and cause some issues. He said they do it in increments so that the side effects are minimal. Start your fills again and you will get there. The band works only if your fills are where they need to be. Don't be discouraged...it's a great time to start again (after a baby). Get pumped to start this process again. You can do it.

First, congrats on the baby!!!

Second, your band was never "turned on" so you never reached restriction. Sounds like you've started with a fill schedule and thats the advice I would give. It may take a few fills to achieve lasting restriction, but once there you will KNOW its working. Try to go back to the band basics and focus on protien and stay away from slider foods, such as Soups and chips.

Good luck!

Hi there

I was banded 10 days earlier than you in 2006 and I can honestly say that the band did not have enough time to work for you before you got pregnant, and it sounds like you are just getting back on the "band-wagon" since having your baby.

I think what some people do not realize is that the band is a tool, and only a tool. It is not a quick fix, nor can it work alone. After my surgery, I quickly initially lost 15 or so lbs from following the post-op diet, but then it took at least 4 or 5 months to see much better results, even any results. It was slow, but steady.

Another huge thing is exercise. There are probably a few out there that do not have to exercise, but it is the best thing you can do to help in your journey. This is coming from someone who hated running, but i was so determined to finally lose the weight that I started walking 25 steps, then running 25 steps and so on and so on. Today I run anywhere from 3-5 miles about five times per week.

If you want "this", you need to be your own advocate. You need to following the guidelines for eating, you need to make good food choices (i dont mean YOU in particular, just in a general sense). And exercise. And did I mention exercise??? :thumbup:

I wish you all the luck in the world. It is a hard journey to begin, but once you see the results from your hard work it is just wonderful to want to continue on it.

SHerry

Hi jgandg. A couple of comments;

I've had several patients not lose weight for a while then "get it" and somehow they begin to understand how to use the band to lose weight and their weight comes off.

It's very important to follow the eating principles that make the band work best. If you do this, then you will notice the decrease in hunger.

Unfortunately, gastric banding doesn't work the same for everyone. All bariatric surgeons know this and we can't explain why (even though we have a lot of theories). But one thing is for sure, following the general guidelines, often provided by your surgeon, is absolutely necessary for long-term success.

i have to agree with sherryA the way you eat and EXERCISE is so important that the band will not help unless you do both. i been banded since july 08 and i lost about 43 lbs so far but this last two months i have been having a hard time losing anything so i started up at the gym this last two weeks and its been good but still hard to lose i didnt understand it but now i get it its not only about doing hard workouts but its more about staying active as much as you can. now i can eat whatever i want seems like and as much as i want i have had only one fill in august but i been feeling those hungry pains and what i have been doing is eating a bit more but burning the calories i ate just by walking around and doing extra chores and so forth around the house instead of just sitting on the couch and watching tv or playing on the computer.i hope everything works out for you and put some faith in yourself that you can do this and use the band as a tool not as something bad

karen