Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Thursday, Work on Monday??

I was banded on a Thursday and went back to work Monday, but only because I had to, I felt like poo :lol:

After the 5th day, things started to improve :wink2:

i am a nurse and had my surgery on aug 27th and i took 6 weeks off i work 12 plus hours a day and do heavy lifting ect so i wanted more time off to make sure i was ok plus i had the time and qualified for short term disability but im doing great and feel find except for getting a lill extra tired every now or than.

I had my surgery today and plan on returning to work on Tuesday. I feel really good this evening except for discomfort in my shoulders from the gas. Also I'm embarassed to ask but can anyone tell me how to start a new message? I have only responded to other people's messages. Thanks

To start a message...go to "home".

Down the left hand side will be categories like "Frequently asked questions" and "General Lap band Surgery discussion"

Pick a category pertaining to your thread

once you click on the category, "start a new thread" (or something to that effect) will appear. Click on that and post your thread!

Had my surgery on a Friday and had off the whole next week. And I am glad I did it like that , I had no idea that I would have such horrible gas pains for most of that week.

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and was scheduled to go back to work the following Tuesday, but ended up staying home an extra 4 days from work. It just depends on the person. I have a desk job, but could not have sat up in that position all day. You are younger than me, but if you can take at least a few more days off, I would.

I had my surgery on Thursday and returned on Monday. No problem. I do have a desk job. I monitored my intake and was happy that I had been able to accomplish this without having to tell everyone! Good Luck to you. I am sure you will be okay. Just remember to listen to your doctor when he/she tells you what and when to eat. K

Yes - everyone is different. There have been a few threads posing this question (do a quick search to locate them), and the general consensus seems to be that 1 week out of work is average. It all depends on your job though.

I have a desk job so it was easier for me to return on Monday (after a previous Thursday surgery). The difficulty was that my job requires me to *think* -- novel concept, I know! It was difficult to concentrate on tasks while taking pain meds. In my case, I was on Percocet, and thus difficult to actually work! I left each day around 4:30 (I usually work 9 - 6), and went home and took a nap. I made sure we didn't have any social event or after-work stuff to attend to -- I think that helped as well.

As soon as I shifted off of Percocet and on to Extra Strength liquid Tylenol, that made all the difference! I was alert and able to focus at work. Bottom line... if you're still on heavy pain meds, stay home.