Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with the Pre-OP.....

Hi All, I was also on a two week liquid diet. My doctor requires the Optifast diet ~ I was on 4 'juice boxes' and 2 bars a day for 2 weeks. Now, 2 days before surgery I'm on a Clear Liquids only diet. Now this is REALLY tough! I am starving and I have one more day to go! Thank God for SF Jello!

I have a question...my Dr. didn't give me a pre-op diet. Is it because I have a low BMI? (I forgot to ask him). Regardless, I'm being banded 10/1 and want to go on one just to shrink my stomach so I won't have to deal with out of control hunger after I'm banded (my willpower isn't exactly legendary). It seems the suggestions are 3 EAS or Atkins shakes and 300-400 calories lean Protein. That sound right? Thanks in advance for your help!

Salome...yes that's a good diet to shrink the liver but if you have a low BMI you really don't need to worry. AND...you will be on a liquid diet post op for 2 weeks or so, then move on to foods you can chew. Honestly the idea that we can shrink our stomachs is a fallacy. They DO stretch but it takes a long long time to shrink them.

You of course may diet if you want, but you'd probably do just as well practicing things like chewing each bite 20-30 times, not drinking during meals, etc. And of course you know yourself! If you think you need a preop diet then to do it for a little while probably won't hurt you any.

Good advice! Thank you! It sounded like a good idea...maybe I'll just do it 2-3 days before. I do plan a 'purge' before surgery so I'll just combine it.

By the way, your ticker is too cute! :rolleyes2:

You're too sweet! I have to tell you, I'm sitting here at work with Wheat Thins. After reading your post, I thought I'd see about chewing the 20-30 times before swallowing. I swear I was chewing saliva after the fifth chew or so.

My major concern is my meds. I take 800 mg ibuprofen and vicodin (also a huge pill). I take a med called tramadol, which is a small round pill but I'm wondering how to get them down. Cutting them once isn't going to work...they're not time release so I guess I could crush them. Ever had this problem????

Those are some heavy duty pain meds you are on! My doc says no ibuprofen AT ALL ... any way you can switch to tylenol? I know it comes in a liquid. Vicodin comes in a liquid, and the tramadol if it's small enough, you should be able to take. Hopefully you can get off those meds if you lose weight?

I have Fibromyalgia, herniated discs (I actually put back surgery on hold for this!!!) and any other condition created to make you miserable without killing you :rolleyes2: My Vicodin RX is too high to go liquid and I will have to switch to Tylenol for awhile but the idea is that getting the weight off my back and legs will lower my need for meds.

I've been on these stupid pills for 8 years...can I just tell you how much I'm hoping I can throw them away for good????

Since I'm looking ahead, I'll continue to share. Once I drop my weight, I'm getting a Tummy Tuck, boob job and light chemical peel, along with botox and restalin. I'm determined, at 40, to become the MILF I've always dreamed of being.

Then, once my husband pays for it, I'm dumping him to become someone's trophy wife.

Okay...so maybe that last part is stretching it.

I'm too old to be a trophy wife. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey you could be a trophy wife for a 80 year old rich guy! LOL

It's after 3 here and I have got to go to bed so good luck to you! Sorry about your fibro and the back issues but hopefully losing weight will help a lot w/at least part of it! Surely they can come up with something to do for you so you can take your pills. Can vicodin be crushed? AND be careful taking it AND tylenol...I think vicodin has tylenol in it. (not sure, it's late) if so you don't want to OD on acetaminophen. your prescribing doc should be able to come up with something for you!

Good luck and chew those wheat thins LOL

Trust me, Cellis82, it REALLY does get better after the first couple of days. I honestly thought that was bulls#!t but it's true. I started my 2 weeks pre-op on a Tuesday and by Friday I wasn't hungry. In fact, I was supposed to drink 4 Optifast boxes a day and I ususlly only got in three. I was amazed! Just hang in there!