Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with the Pre-OP.....

Hey there... I have TWELVE DAYS of the liquid diet and then the two days before surgery I'm on Clear Liquids ONLY. Apparently this is standard with my group but it seems a lot more strict than others! I know it's going to be worth it so I'm hanging in there. The post-op should be a breeze! LOLOLOL0 :wink_smile:

Hey there... I have TWELVE DAYS of the liquid diet and then the two days before surgery I'm on clear liquids ONLY. Apparently this is standard with my group but it seems a lot more strict than others! I know it's going to be worth it so I'm hanging in there. The post-op should be a breeze! LOLOLOL0 :wink_smile:

I completely understand. I have to do 13 days of glucerna shakes and then clear liquids the day before surgery. It seems pretty standard with my doctor also. I can only hope that post-op is a breeze.

Hi...yes I too had a VERY hard time with the shakes. I tried my best not to eat but when I was desperate, I had an egg. I figured I'd replace the Protein Shake with protien...it worked for me and got me thru. From my first visit to my 2 week preop visit I gained 17 pounds so from my 2 week visit to my operation date I lost 26 pounds while on the shake.< /p>

What I did is blended the shake with ice and about 2 tsps of a sugar free, caffeine free coffee drink powder...I only had 6 days of pre-op diet and I lost 7 pounds....my surgery went fine....ask you dr.

I am on day 12 of the liquid only pre-op diet - 4 carnation instant breakfasts and sugar free Jello, bouillon, and sugar free popsicles. I have not cheated but I am sooo hungry. My surgery is on Monday, Sept. 22nd. I am actually looking forward to the anaesthesia to put me out of my misery - I am so hungry - Ha Ha! But getting nervous, too. Hang in there. Mayber after the surgery you won't feel as hungry.

I to am on day 3 of Meal Replacement drinks. My head hurts, I am shaky and hateful. Please say tomorrow when I wake up it will all be over and downhill. My surgery date is the 25th 12 more days.:embaressed_smile::mellow:

Hey, my surgery date was moved up. We have the same surgery day! I have been doing the liquid diet since this past Monday morning. Wow, I really understand how you feel now. I felt pretty good on day 3, but on day 4, I was so hungry!:cursing:

I am on day 12 of the liquid only pre-op diet - 4 carnation instant breakfasts and sugar free Jello, bouillon, and sugar free popsicles. I have not cheated but I am sooo hungry. My surgery is on Monday, Sept. 22nd. I am actually looking forward to the anaesthesia to put me out of my misery - I am so hungry - Ha Ha! But getting nervous, too. Hang in there. Mayber after the surgery you won't feel as hungry.

I hope you are right!

Hi I have the same surgery date as you do and am also struggling with the liquid diet

Thanks for everyone getting back to me! Looks like we're all getting banded on the 22nd or 23rd so we should check back on Wednesday or so and see how everyone is doing. I stocked up on the clear liquid Protein Drinks and all the Vitamins. Just need to get the Gas-X strips that everyone recommends. Is there anything else I should pick up before the surgery?

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone getting back to me! Looks like we're all getting banded on the 22nd or 23rd so we should check back on Wednesday or so and see how everyone is doing. I stocked up on the clear liquid Protein drinks and all the Vitamins. Just need to get the Gas-X strips that everyone recommends. Is there anything else I should pick up before the surgery?

Thanks!

I have heard to have a heating pad on hand to help with the gas pain.

WARNING ABOUT HEATING PADS!

Check with your surgeon. There are types of internal stitches some surgeons use that dissolve with body heat. You heat things up with a heating pad and MAY actually dissolve your stitches before it's time.

So check first!

As to things to have....lip balm. Even if you NEVER have chapped lips, your lips will be dry after the surgery!

Another thing to have...Adult Liquid Tylenol. You most likely won't want or need heavy duty pain killers all the time (and remember codeine can constipate you! So watch that!)

Hey Kiz - Did you have to do the liquid diet? I haven't been told to do it and I am scheduled for surgery on Wed. Sept. 24th?

Hey Kiz - Did you have to do the liquid diet? I haven't been told to do it and I am scheduled for surgery on Wed. Sept. 24th?

I know I'm not Kiz, but I couldn't help but answer. Ususally, if your doctor hasn't said anything about a pre-op diet, you aren't supposed to do one. Some doctors make every patient have one, and some don't. The point of it is to shrink the fat around the liver before surgery. I know that my doctor's office actually gave me a form with my diet information on it. If you are really concerned, call your doctor tomorrow to see if you were to be on one.

Good luck on Wednesday!

Edited by *slim*
correct post

Jordan, mine was a modified liquid diet. Two shakes/day (three if I wanted to skip my evening sandwich, needless to say, I never did :girl_hug:). I agree with slim, I think you would know if were supposed to be on a special diet. Did you have a required nutritional class? Ours was led by a nurse, and our diet plans were well laid out, and we were given a booklet with additional information regarding the pre-op and post-op diets. I've seen plenty of people on LBT who haven't been required to follow a pre-op diet, so I wouldn't be too concerned, but I do think slim is right, and it would be a good idea to call the office tomorrow for confirmation.

Because of my size and my blood work etc they knew I'd need a preop diet and had me on it for THREE weeks. My surgeon if he requires one, runs anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks....I'm one of the few bandsters who needed 3. And actually mine stretched to 5 1/2. BUT they told me in plenty of time I needed to do the diet. Not everyone has to! Lucky dogs! :girl_hug: