Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What about snacking?

What about snacking, is it still an option? I heard popcorn is a no no with the band so this is a good thing because my dh brings home big bags of "Smart Food" popcorn and since we've gotten DVR I've probably put on at least 10 lbs .

I guess snacking is out then but I think I would really go through snacking withdrawal when I get banded. Anyone have trouble breaking the snacking habit? Are there healthy snack alternatives?

My understanding is that for the band to work efficiently snacking is strongly discouraged. You are supposed to eat your 3 meals a day and the band is supposed to help you feel full until your next meal.

I am not yet banded but that is the information I have received through my research.

some drs say No - some say Yes. all relative.

my snacking depends on my day. if i have an active busy day with a training session - yeah i'm likely to eat more than say a day i am average in my movement & just take a yoga class.

i avg 3 meals a day plus one or 2 Snacks. my surgeon recommends snacking for those that are active & need more calories than someone stationary.

calories in = calories out.....you can't be in training mode & anticpate that only 3 meals will sustain you; you might have to do a bit of trial & error that works for you while in weightloss mode....,

Like LuLu said - Every Doctor is different

My doc - 3 meals 2 healthy Snacks

I eat sf puddings - sf fudgecicles - dannon light and fit yogurts - 100 calorie snack pack smart pop popcorn (daily)- lf string cheese - fruit

This is not a diet - but a lifestyle change

For me the junk is gone from my eating - and even now if I want a candy I will eat 1 candy bar - I don't buy the bag of candies and eat the whole thing - I eat just one.

IMHO it's up to you and what works for you

I have to admit that sitting down to an actual meal feels more like a chore to me these days, so I guess my diet is more like one meal, and the rest Snacks. I eat Cookies once in a while, but definitely like popcorn and have it frequently. I also eat nuts, rice pudding and -- yes -- even ice cream. However, ice cream is something I only care for once in a while in the hotter months, and never otherwise.

As of yesterday, five months after my surgery, I'm down 48 lbs. (and showed two more down on the scale this morning). I may not be doing great in terms of nutrition, but I'm definitely losing. I guess it all comes down to total calories consumed/expended.

I guess snacking is out then but I think I would really go through snacking withdrawal when I get banded. Anyone have trouble breaking the snacking habit? Are there healthy snack alternatives?

This is a great example of what is called "head hunger". If you are working your band correctly, you shouldn't be hungry for Snacks. It's not about whether the Snacks are "healthy" or not, it's more a behavioral issue that you will need to address.

This is a great example of what is called "head hunger". If you are working your band correctly, you shouldn't be hungry for Snacks. It's not about whether the Snacks are "healthy" or not, it's more a behavioral issue that you will need to address.

that's not necessarily true. multiple meals (3 plus 1 or 2 healthy snacks) are recommended by some physicians because they feel you have to shock your metabolism or properly fuel it.

you can work your band correctly & not require "a healthy" snack for weight loss to work for you - or you may need additional meals to fuel you properly, your surgeon should help you there.

it's not a cookie cutter description that it's all or nothing - because what works for one ; does not for another.

dealing with head hunger & emotional eating is one thing ; it doesn't have to relate to healthy snacking along the way.

Disagree... I am working my band correctly - and I am hungry between meals.. I can have steak & eggs for Breakfast and by 10:30 a.m. be hungry - real hunger not head hunger - a piece of low fat string cheese will tide me over til I can have lunch.

Or I can be out busy doing something and can't stop to eat a meal - I will eat a piece of fruit to get me give me the engery I need to keep my motabolizm going...

It boils down to what your doc suggest and each doctor here is different and then you have to take all this knowledge and make it work for you..