Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Living with Roomies?

Hey everyone! First, let me start out by saying I hope that you are all doing well with your post-surgical lives, I myself am having surgery in a little over three weeks! So excited!

But having a few issues wrapping my brains around this one... Have any of you found it hard to live with roommates after the surgery? I have read about three books thus far, and have really overwhelmed myself with information, and within this information I am finding that many people suggest taking all the junk food out of the house. Even though we really won't be able to heff it down like we used to - the temptation for a bit is still there.

I know with families it maybe a little easier, and all of the books have been providing some great recipe alternatives for the whole family to enjoy... but my two roommates eat junk food like crazy. They are both bean poles so it isn't effecting them (yet) but do any of you have suggestions for me on this subject? Do you think that it would be wise for me to distinguish a shelf in the pantry and the fridge for me so I can focus just on one shelf and not the entire unit?:lol::confused::wink2:

If that will help you, then yes, that's a good idea.

Overall though, sooner or later you just need to learn to live with those foods around you and not be affected by them, it IS possible. The kids had a packed of Doritos yesterday afternoon, MAN I wanted them! I was quite hungry and hadnt had anything really yummy all day. But you know, I realised that once we left the house (for basketball) I would forget about them and I did. I didnt die by not having them although the craving was very intense for a few minutes.

You can do this. Let others kill themselves with rubbish food. You are treating yourself better than that.

Hi Cassie,

I am wondering what books you have read? I'd like to start reading more about the surgery...not that these boards don't help, I'd just like more information. Load it on!

I know it is not always easy living where there is food that you did not hand pick. My mom still bought ice cream after my surgery :/ Your roommates obviously know that you will be having the surgery, ask them if they could keep their junk food in their rooms. I am the kind of person that if its there, I think about it. If I don't know its there, I don't think about it. I mean the fridge is something you can't help unless you get your own mini firdge or they get their own. Its not a good idea at all for you to have that kind of food in you reach; ESPECIALLY in the beginning. It doesn't matter how much will power you have, there is always temptation and you can't guarantee that you won't cave. Its like trying to get sober. You don't go hang out at the bar right?

First off, I think you won't WANT junk food for awhile... second, it's scary to think about what could happen if you cheat.

I had a WHOLE tub of Cookies on my counter since my pre-op diet and amazingly STILL have not had one, and I can eat food now.

Stock up on the things you need to eat and focus on your healing. It has been harder for me since starting food, as we often have goodies at work, but even then, I have not cheated and tried any big no-no's. You are going to want to do what's good for your body! :)

Hi Cassie,

I am wondering what books you have read? I'd like to start reading more about the surgery...not that these boards don't help, I'd just like more information. Load it on!

Gabi - I have read three but really enjoyed two of them. The first is Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band, b y Dr. Robert Sewel the other is Before and After by Susan MAria Leach. Before and After is geared more towards those with Gastric, but she did touch base on the AGB. Also, it was nice to read something from a patients mouth rather than the doctors.

Girl you are from So Cal! You will be fine :] lol If I can do it here with temptation, You can do it too. After a while, you won't even think about food anymore. You'll just eat healthy because you like it. And you will love the energy you have and the way you feel about yourself. Its amazing. Just have faith!