Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one with Cigna with a low bmi

Hello I have a bmi of 36.2 and i have gerd and my triglierides are very high about 600:confused_smile: for my 2 co-morbid conditions do you think I would be approved I have cigna.I have 2 months left of dr visits to finish my 6 month temps to weight loss all my other test r done.

Oh boy Hallen are you ready to get tough. I should say though that there are different types of policies that Cigna offers. I have PPO I went into this with the same BMI as you as well as the same co mobidities. That was about eight months ago and CIGNA has turned me down 3 times. I am using Obesitylaw.com to help me with appeals. Their reason is that LB is still in an experimental stage! Before that it was not having a 40 BMI but they don't want you to gain wieght and resumit .actually they just don't want to pay up or are delaying it. Cigna can drive you crazy. There is a site dedicated to us called Cignasqueakywheel.com. My PCP who's studying to be a Fill Doctor said that many of her patients will pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed by Cigna but ofcouse this isn't a guarantee. Good luck with them..please keep us posted. dont' give up...I haven't!

Thanks so much for your reply!I have Cigna OAP I was wonder if they we and different than your plan?

You can go on the web site not MyCigna just Cigna.com and look for Bariatric Surgery and they do state (at least in mine) what they require. When I last look they changed the requirement to proof of 2 years with a 40 BMI - I believe it used to be 1. Aren't they nice ...they are punishing us for not letting ourselves really go...I've exercised and worked not to get to a 40 BMI for all my life...darn them...all I need now is another 20 lbs and I'm a 40.,,,oh keep researching. I will eventually get a loan from Allergen makers of Lap band they have a 80 month payment plan if I don't get covered....keep me posted!

Well I have Cigna OAP and i know they pay 100% but like you said with a bmi of 36.8 and with my 2 co-morbid conditions that i already told you my doctor added edema,artheritis,and back pain but i dont think any of those would matter much.Well i'm not going to give up i'll fight to the end lol.Hows everthing going with you are you having any luck with getting a loan?

Hi Hallen: I've decided not to go for a loan after all and cash out a CD I had to take out anyway because the bank was going under! I'm looking out of state. For me I can have the surgery for half the price as here in NY if I find a experienced surgeon. The big deciding factor tho Hallen is in is finding a follow up/fill doctor that is convenient to your home. My regular PCP is training to be a fill doc with FillUSA so there is a light at the end of this tunnel!

Sooverit, any luck finding an out of state doctor for a fraction of the cost? My insurance is Aetna and my BMI is 35, but I do not have any of the co-morbidities that they require, although I think I may have metobolic syndrome, I have yet to find out if they accept that. Please let me know if you find someone. I am desperate and am willing to pay out of pocket too, as it seems that this is the only route.

As for fill, if I am not mistake, Dr. Dominick Artuso has an office in Dobbs Ferry and I think he would do the fills even if he didnt administer the surgery, give him a try.

I have Cigna and my BMI is 33. I was told that unless your BMI is over 35 for 3 years, + co-morbidities, they won't pay. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, reflux, joint pain, etc. When they did my endoscopy, they found a hiatal hernia. So, I am having surgeon repair that with insurance paying and I am paying $5K for the band. Worth it to me! Good Luck!

Hi Personona ....I found a doctor who has an office about 20 mins from my house in Levittown NY also main office is in Bronxville NY on Westchester boarder. I highly recommend them and was part of a low BMI study. The "base" cost was 12,000 I highly recommend it and it was worth every cent! I haven't been this weight in years and I feel great!! Look at my signature it has the info you need. If you have any other questions please e-mail any time!

Forgot to mention Lawrence Hospital is a member of Columbia Presbyterian Hospital and only does specialized surgeries like LB. Only negative was that it is done on an out patient basis ...they let you stay as long as you like but you must leave by the end of the day if there are no complications. I guess you could pay for another day. I would have liked one more day but everyone is different. Dory Ferrara is a NP who runs the Obesity Center in Levittown.

Let me just say "I'm sorry that you have CIGNA"!

They really really suck when it comes to bariatric surgery, It took me a very long time to get approval..they did everything they could to try and stop me. All I can say is document everything you have in relation to your weight and keep on pushing..good luck..Kerrie