Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Suggestions ASAP!

I am having trouble with my stomach but I am not sure if it from my lapband.

1st of all, I take an eighth of caynne pepper daily in 2 oz of OJ. It is a natural pain reliever and anti-inflamitory. I am about 3 months post op. I just started this regine again about 3 weeks ago.

I am thinking that Sour Cream is something that I cannot handle any longer. I had a baked potato and put a little sour cream on it. This has happened to me twice. I ate it about 1.5 to two hours before going to bed.

Well in the middle of the night I am waking up to my stomach ON FIRE!!! As if someone has dropped a match in my stomach and I cannot put it out.

I have taken Pepto Bismol, Maalox, Cold Water, and Ice Compressions on my stomach. The first time this happened, I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital becase non of the above worked and it had been 2 hours. I finally vomited and all of that up and at the very end, there was a sour taste (sorry don't mean to be gross)

Then this happend again last night not as bad as the first time but I had had sour cream again about a few hours before going to bed.

My only concern is that the sour stomach burns like the dickens. I am not sure if this is band related, Cayenne related or that is how it is when I have a sour stomach. I could not vomit it up last night. I actually tried to throw it up, but I could not. Today, I have had my stomach grumbling and diareah all day.

All I had was Water today. I just recently had about 1/4 cup of 15 bean Soup but I started to feel as if I was going to vomit. I kept it down, but I think I will stick to water. The time before today, I did not not eat for two days, I did water only. I will not sour cream again but just curios if anyone else has experienced this burning sensation with a sour stomach.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

I am not sure exactly what the problem is but I do not think it is the sour cream. I think it is the orange juice and cayenne pepper. This is my theory and mind you it is just a theory based on what you wrote: I think the acid and cayenne hang out in your pouch because things are restricted now where they just used to go straight to the stomach and intestinal system. The burning is from the acid and pepper mix. I think you may have to find something else for the anti-inflam and pain. Again I could be wrong but you might want to experiement. Try your best to NOT vomit you do not want any kind of slippage this is very bad and I would hate for anything to happen to you. Also try not to eat anything right before bed (maybe a sugar free popsicle but only something like that, nothing heavy enough to require sour cream)even if it is a few hours, the food hangs in the pouch for a lot longer now and when you lay down with all that just sitting there the possibility for adverse affects are inevitable. I hope this helps a little let me know how it goes and good luck.

Heather

Thank you for replying. I was thinking that I might not be able to do the cayenne anymore. This does not happen often but I dont want it to happen again. This is very painful. I could not help vomiting the first time but the second time i did induce it because I was in so much pain and wanted to feel better.

Thanks for the advice.

You are having either heartburn, acid reflux and could possibly be setting yourself up for an ulcer. You need to start taking a Proton Pump Inhibitor. You can buy Prevacid or its generic Omeprozole over the counter. There are also several prescription PPI's that you can take--Prevacid, Protonix, Aciphex ect. I'd get on one of these medications ASAP and hold off on the OJ and any other offending food until you have one or two weeks of these medications on board.

There is no need to suffer, these drugs work well!

It sounds just like heartburn or reflux in which case, orange juice and pepper are probably two of the most irritating foods you could eat right now. The sour cream would likely be more of a soother than anything.

Heartburn is miserable, I'm lucky only to have suffered when pregnant. I feel for bandsters who battle with this. I found over the counter meds useless, when I was getting through a 500ml bottle of double strength gaviscon every single day I knew it was time to head to the doc for some prescription meds.

Hi, I was just banded on Aug. 27th. My doctor told me not to drink OJ at all and I got the impression it wasn't cool to drink very often. The acid sitting there isn't good for you.

I really hope you feel better. I'd go to the doctor if you don't get better. Try some Protein Drinks.< /p>

Ks

I was going to say too it probably is the OJ and cayenne pepper...even though it is liquid I would certainly ask your doctor if it would be ok to be drinking that, but it sounds like your body is telling you to stop anyway.

Just an FYI, OJ isnt good for us, it increases the blood sugars. Several doctors I know have said if you want fruit eat it, dont drink it. :unsure:

Hope you have no more bad tummy problems!

You may need to have your doctor send you for an ultrasound to see if your gall bladder has stones. Everything you describe is typical of gall stones. The sour cream has fat (even the fat free) and triggers the attack - anything with fat will if you have stones. That sour taste is very typical of gall stones, as is the late night pain, etc. Almost 80% of people who have the band or bypass have gall bladder issues. For bypass patients, their rate of gall stones is SO high that many surgeons actually take out the gall bladder at the same time of the bypass to prevent future problems. You have also lost a lot of weight in a short time, which is also another major cause of gall stones. Check with your doctor to have an x-ray or ultrasound - even the tiniest stone can cause horrible pain. My mom went thru this about a year ago. Her symptoms were identical to yours. As a nursing student, I forced her to give up the Maalox and see her doctor. Two stones the size of a pencil lead, but that was all it took!

oh yeah that is another issue I forgot about - gallbladder! Definitely could be. i have had that issue in the past, not related to the band, but it was yucky. I would definitely talk to your doc about it. :embaressed_smile:

Thanks for everyone's advice. I really dont think that it is my gallstones, I am pretty sure it was the acid from the OJ and the cayenne. I have not had a problem since my original post. I guess that I will not be able to use this natural remedy any longer. I realy appreciate everyone.

Good luck!

Orange juice definitely gives me heartburn, can I get heartburn easy since banding where I never really did before. Sour cream is definitely soothing as is plain yogurt for me. I haven't tried the cayenne on its own but I do eat in Soups witout issue.