Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you fear the most?

Hi Everyone!

I'm a new member and wanted to take a moment to ask some questions to those who have been banded. I am currently going through the process of being banded. I only have a few more things to finish and then I can get my surgery date. As I read through the different posts and get more information as to what to expect from this surgery, I still have questions about the biggest fears that those of who had surgery faced. I have some, and I am sure alot of you can relate. So maybe you can shed some light? One of my biggest fears concerning this surgery is, will I really feel THAT full that I won't try and eat? One of the biggest things I do is eat when I'm not hungry. I eat when I'm bored, upset, excited...its all about the emotions for me! I've read that for some, the band did help with emotional eaters, but I'm not sure how exactly. Is it because you really just CAN'T eat? I hear people say, "I'm just not hungry". And I'm thinking, well, I'm not always hungry either, but I still eat...if anyone else shares this problem, how did you deal with that? Now, I'm not saying that I never get hungry, because I certainly do...but more often than not I'm eating just to eat. Then, when I am hungry I eat very LARGE portions, which I know the band will obviously help. But what I am not understanding fully is how it will help my brain to realize that I really don't want anymore? Does this make sense? This is a huge concern to me because this is something that I struggle with alot and I cannot process how I will change that. I guess what I'm asking is, how did your band help you with your emotional eating? Is this a matter of will power and common sense? I hope this makes some sense and would love any input...I would be so greatly appreciative! Good luck to you all! :sad:

I went through 10 months of behavioral therapy on my own to learn why I overeat and how to stop it. I wouldn't think the band actually can control emotional overeating or "head hunger" as they call it. I've been told the band will handle "physiologic" hunger but head hunger is your thing to handle..

For me, part of the reason I ate when I wasn't physically hungry was that I felt because I'm already overweight, I might as well eat when the urge hit me. I'm only three weeks into to this (two weeks pre-op diet and one week post-op), but not only have I not eaten outside of the required diet, I've not wanted to. I finally feel like I can lose this extra weight once and for all, and, more importantly, keep it off. That's always been my biggest dilemma; keeping the lost weight off.

So, while I don't know for sure what my future holds, this ability to feel full on very little food and then to stay full, plus the confidence that I can keep these lost pounds off, is keeping me honest.

cappy welcome to lapband talk, why do you have my avatar, ha, ha just kidding. welcome aboard.

Then, when I am hungry I eat very LARGE portions, which I know the band will obviously help. But what I am not understanding fully is how it will help my brain to realize that I really don't want anymore? Does this make sense? This is a huge concern to me because this is something that I struggle with alot and I cannot process how I will change that.

i'm not really a LARGE portion eater but i am a binge eater. once the thought of a food is in my head i obsess over it until i eat it...all. dealing with this has been the most difficult part of my journey so far.

i feel like my brain and stomach are constantly struggling against each other... every day. i try my hardest to listen to my stomach but then i'm left depressed for not fulfilling my "need". if i give in and listen to my brain, i end up PB'ing for hours.

i'm not going to lie. this is the hardest thing i've ever had to do but i'm working really hard to overcome listening to my brain and be happy with the food i CAN eat.

it's been 4.5 months since my surgery and i've lost half of the weight i would like. i'm happy with the results. i love all the compliments. i love knowing i've gone from a size 16 to a size 12 (almost a 10!). i love feeling healthy. i love not getting tired just walking to my car. i love not being embarassed about my body.

there is just SO much more to love about this journey than there is to hate and i'm still glad i had the surgery even if i'm still learning how to live with the band!

Hi Sil...thanks for letting me share your avatar! LOL:tongue: And thanks for welcoming me!

RestlessMonkey, behavioral therapy sounds like a great idea. I'm going to look into that. Thanks for your reply.

Kiz, you said something that hit home for me...you said you "ate when I wasn't hungry because I was already overweight, I may as well eat when the urge hit me". Well this is something I also struggle with. I'm already fat, what the heck. When you don't have a good self image, its easy to feed the pain. I go as far as zoning out when I eat something. I have the urge for something, it stays with me until I eat it, and then as I'm eating it its like nothing else exists. That little voice inside me that's telling me not to eat it is just being tuned out. Its pretty scary.

Kalipso2, I relate to your post so much! I too struggle with the brain vs. the stomache....this is on a daily basis, pretty much. But what you said about feeling happy, the compliments, and especially the part about not being embarrassed about your body, that really made an impact. I have been obese for about 6 years and although I do love myself, I don't love the way I look and feel . You've given me hope that once I start this journey and start losing the weight, those negative feelings will start to turn positive. I am so looking forward to that! Thanks for opening up my eyes!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your thoughts! Best of luck to all!