Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am currently seeking information regarding the Lap band procedure. I am curious about how people decided to to do the Lap ban versus the gastric sleeve. I have read some of the information offered on the web but most of it is sponsored by the surgeon.

I am 57, male 5'9", 260 Lbs. with a BMI of 38. Over the years I have developed High BP, sleep apnea, shortness of breath and increasing pain in my feet and knees. I do not have diabetes but that may be looming in my future. I have tried all of the major diets including Atkins, Weight watchers, Nutrisystems and they all worked but after loosing about 20 - 25 pounds I would level off and within a short amount of time be back to where I was or worse.

This my introduction. Any insites would be welcome.

For me it was a no brainer. There is no way I want my innards cut up and reconfigured. uh uh. No. AND the lap band can be tightened 5 years down the road. The sleeve (and the pouch created by the by pass) are pretty much set. If you stretch it (and it is STRETCHY, it's stomach) you are out of luck.

FINALLY...if I have a disease or issue that dictates I need it, my band can be unfilled (literally no restriction) or even removed if necessary.

i probably would have gotten the sleeve if i had to do it over again.

i'm in no way upset with the results, no complications to date, however being realistic - i'm not sure this band will last me a lifetime. just a gut instinct & that's a concern - as is the weight gain. i "think" i've learned what it takes to be successful, should i happen to lose my band - but ultimately would be devistated if the weight came back.

i've read a lot about the sleeve "after the fact", and that and the lapband would be the only WLS i would consider.

good luck to you.!.

I chose it as it is less invasive, the slower is slower over time, The adjustments on how much you can eat are up to your and your doctor. I like that I can have the restriction changed at anytime if I were to need it for any medical reason.

I have a very tainted point of view... I have taken care of gastric bypass patients that have had serious complications post op. As a critical care nurse who had to support families in crisis due to an elective operation, I could never take a chance of putting my family thru that for my benefit. Now having said that... there were many successful ones, but that is not who I cared for, they only came to my unit when in critically ill!!!! Also, I've seen gastric bypass patients down the road gain a lot back over time, or become seriously ill and it just complicates things by them having altered nutritional status. When you need the gut to work better, there is no way to change it back!! These are some of the things that were in my mind when I decided the band was what I would consider. Everyone is different, and its a tool not a quick fix, done right it is a lot of work to eat right and exercise etc.. there is no way around any of that no matter what!!

Good luck to you with your decision!!!

Well said Tess! And I would add one more thing. It did occur to me that my band would not last for my lifetime too. However, I expect that there will be discoveries and improvements in the future (near future) on WL. I think WLS is just the beginning of some real breakthroughs. If I had gotten the bypass -- I'd have to live with the consequences of it when I got older.

With the band I will still have the option of fully accessing them if the band becomes ineffective for me.

I also like the fact that the band does not forgive "bad behavior." If you want it to work--you must "mend" your ways. I do believe that --in time--people will gain weight on EITHER of the methods IF they don't eat differently. The body will learn to adapt to a bypass. It will learn how to handle food differently and start to absorb all those calories if people still eat them. On the other hand--the band doesn't allow us to swill it down anymore. We have no choice but to learn to eat differently. I think we are more incline to chance our eating habits than bypass people.