Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get in enough calories?

Today was my first day of food. I tabulated my calories and was at 599 calories. My target should be 800-1000 according to my doctor and nutritionist.

I want to stick to a healthy diet, but wonder, should I use real mayo instead of ff? Should I not worry about sugar free drinks? (The drinks would still be healthy of course.)

I just don't know!

Today I had:

3 oz of tuna w/ mustard and ff mayo

2 Morning Star Chik Nuggets w/ mustard

Steamed veggies (like 2 pieces of carrot and 2 pieces of zucchini)

1 Turkey Meatball

3 mini whole wheat crackers w/ egg salad

and no... I didn't stick to the "try one food a day" thing.... :)

Um, how do YOU get in 1000 calories??

We are all so different! I have no problem chowing through up to 1800 calories a day.

Today for example, I know is 1200 because we'e doing a home delivered diet here at the moment (me to support DH).

Breakfast was muesli, and a piece of wholegrain toast with vegemite

snack was an apple

lunch was lettuce san choy bow (a minced meat dish served in lettuce cups) and fruit salad

Afternoon snack was a small date and banana muffin

dinner is a vegetable/tortilla stack thing

1200 calories coz its all measured, weighed and low calorie food. I can eat that much food and have it add up to 1800 other days.

Truthfully, I cant even IMAGINE being so tight that I could only get 500 calories in - unless you're talking immediately post op. Long term I would find that miserable and not at all healthy. If you're post op, then its normal and will wear off over the coming weeks.

And whilst I do use full fat mayo (when I eat it like once a year) and full fat yogurt and stuff, its not the answer to upping calories. To add another 500 calories a day of that sort of stuff would mean half your daily intake is saturated fat - yuck. You need to add it in the form of healthy things - Protein, fruit, veges and wholegrains.

I to for the first couple weeks had trouble making the calorie count, but you will be able to get more in later, you will not always feel like you do know, unless that is you get a fill and stay tight.

I had a lot of trouble when I first started eating too, I still had some swelling even that long after surgery that restricted me a lot, but after a few days it was much better and I was able to eat more. It will get better with time, maybe add a Protein Drink or two during the day until you feel like you can eat more, they go down easily if you are still swollen or irritated and will add some nutrition to your diet.

I just had another fill this week...I'm up to 6.4cc but this time is EXTREMELY tight and I've been wondering also how to get in the calories. So far today I've only had about 500 calories and I know I won't meet MAYBE 800 calories by the end of the day--plus I'm working out tonight! I am going to try the tsp of Peanut Butter or nuts. Maybe that will bring it up a little bit. You can also try calling your nutritionist (my program has one I can call anytime for free) and maybe she can help you out with some ideas?? Good luck!