Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facts Only On Erosion

I did a search about erosion on LBT & it brought up lots of comments & concerns & some actual cases. BUT I was hoping someone could tell me the FACTS on actually what causes the erosion of the band into the stomach. NOT rumors or I think this kinda comments but real FACTS.

For example it was always my impression that the band eroded "into " the stomach & the stomach ends up growing or flabbing over the band. NOT THAT THE stomach erodes from the inside & than out by Meds & stuff.

BUT I truthfully do not know. Hoping someone actally does.

There is no one cause of erosion; obviously if we knew that it could be prevented it in all cases. The medications that we are told to avoid are those that rob the stomach of its naturally occurring protective substances (I'm not up on exactly what those are). It seems to me that such weakened stomach tissue can react by ulcerating internally OR externally at the band site.

Whatever the exact mechanism, I know I'M never taking any NSAIDS again.

Whatever the exact mechanism, I know I'M never taking any NSAIDS again.

Thanks Alex- Can you also tell me what NSAIDS are, I don't know.

NSAID: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. This is the class of drugs to which ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, etc.) and naproxen sodium (Aleve and others) belong. Lots of antibiotics can also increase the risk of stomach problems, but antibiotics are much less likely to be taken long-term than painkillers, and so less frequently warned against than the over-the-counter stuff.

I know some docs say it's OK to take NSAIDS once in a while, if you have some pain that won't respond to Tylenol. However, a lot of people use them frequently for back pain, menstrual cramps, or arthritis. It's that kind of frequent or chronic use that is the most likely to lead to stomach problems. I'm just steering clear and sticking with Tylenol when I need it.

Wow that is good to know- I had no idea- I am going to tell my Doctor that he should warn us about this stuff. He never said anything to me. You would think that it would be something he would list out for his patients.

Thank you for telling me

Thank you Jenna! I will also give this list- once I get a new printer to my DOctor- I am upset that no one in their office or him - Including the other first Doctor I went to mentioned anything about certain drugs. Infact the other day- he said I could take anything I needed too. I think he needs to read up on the info. Thank you for the link-

It was a little sad seeing Blossoms post- I still miss her very much:(

Christina,

Dr. Pleatman is one of the doctors that feels that NSAIDS are fine on a sort term basis. The is no real PROOF of them causing band erosion, just the mental flow of logic that some NSAIDS are hard on a stomach if taken in high doses and over long periods of time, and that it may cause problems with the stomach lining thereby possibly causing erosion of the lining near the band. Also if a person is properly adjusted with the band there, many of the pills are to big to be taken and would lodge into the stomach stoma that is formed with the band. A liquid form of the NSAIDS would be a better alternative from the physicality problem part, however infrequent use of nsaids--especially if taken with with milk- should not be a problem or concern towards erosion. If a person is taking large dosages or taking them over weeks of time--then it could become a problem with the stomach in general.

Right now it seems that the largest body of evidnece of erosion is that it is caused by surgeon technique in securing the band and if the surgeon removes the "fat pouch" around the stomach. The more body tissue cut into and/or removed the greater chance of the body forming a reactive surface to the band. That was one reason the larger band was created was so that the fat pouch could be left in tact with the band merely placed around the fat pouch and stomach while leaving enough room in the band unfilled. Another "thought" as to why erosion was caused was that sometimes surgeons closed (latched) the band on the stomach--in effect, pinching it partially in the band. This would cause an irritation that could "fester" into an erosion- hence another reason for the larger band.

I don't think there are any definative answers as to what really causes erosion as erosion is a very small number--like 1-2% of all banded people and falls into the mainly non-event category of complications. Statistically speaking, the number is small enough that it could even be just due to different body types and chemistries having a reaction with the band or the material. Also these bands are placed on not the most healthiest people-many with other health complications and/or medicines and these could be causing some of these erosions as well.

I am just glad that the numbers are as small as they are. If I remember the statistics right you had a greater chance of dying or became physically incapacitated from surgery than getting erosion.

T

Thanks Big T - Great information. I will talk to Dr.P when I see him next time. He did say I had no fat around my stomach or my liver so the band maybe right around the stomach itself. I guess I just like to get all the info possible, so I don't worry. I hope your well & traveling safe. Thanks for informing me;0)

Christina,

Did your doctor give you one of the little cards with the band serial number? My sleeve contains two cards one with Medical information that states"This person has an adjustable Gastric band to assist in weight loss. Cautions should be taken when prescribing potentially ulcerogenic medications or performing any abdominal procedure"

IMHO if the Ionamed does not recomend using ulcerogenic medications than I am not going to let anyone tell me otherwise because if an erosion does occur then you have essentially "voided the warranty".

Christina,

Did your doctor give you one of the little cards with the band serial number? My sleeve contains two cards one with Medical information that states"This person has an adjustable Gastric band to assist in weight loss. Cautions should be taken when prescribing potentially ulcerogenic medications or performing any abdominal procedure"

IMHO if the Ionamed does not recomend using ulcerogenic medications than I am not going to let anyone tell me otherwise because if an erosion does occur then you have essentially "voided the warranty".

Yes I did get that card, but there wasn't a serial number on it. I will ask next time I see the Doctor. I also recieved a card for tracking the fills & weight loss. I hope I remember to use it. I don't know the correct definition of ulcerogenic meds (on the card) verses NSAIDS but I will ask that also when I go in. Infact I'll email him maybe tonight. thank you & Good info;0)