Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just home from surgery

Hello to everyone out there!

My name is Tina and I just got home from surgery. My doctor was Dr. Jawad out of Ocala, Florida. Not sure what to post about me, but here goes.

I have been trying to loose weight forever. Diets didn't cut it. I had spinal fusion last year, which was a long recovery which meant little to no exercise which meant more weight gain. My husband is active duty Air Force, and I bill insurance for our local hospital here in Valdosta, Georgia. I didn't think Tricare would pay for the Lap-band, just the bypass. My family doctor had said she would have no problem getting me approved for the bypass, but for me, there were just too many things that could potentially go wrong. When I found out Tricare was covering the band, I about jumped for joy. I was shocked that Tricare approved me for the surgery so quickly. I am about 110 pounds over my ideal. Most people didn't believe me when I told them what I weighed (255). Everyone called me a liar :omg_smile:. I have never been a skinny girl. When I got married I was 170 and a size 10. I would LOVE to be that size again. I really wanted the surgery for health reasons. Less weight = less strain on my back, which means I can hopefully postpone another fusion for decades. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, thyroid issues, and my mom was recently diagnosed with type II, which is something I did not ever want.

I feel okay, just really bloated.... My husband and family have been really supportive in my decision. I look forward to talking to everyone and getting to know you. There is a local support group locally, but somehow, the fact that there is someone else out there online at 2am if I need to talk makes this more appealing.:scared2:

I just had mine done on Monday at North Florida Regional in Gainesville. I have coworker who went to Jawad and she can't say enough about him. She never actually had the surgery but she thinks he's the best. He did not seem to like the Lap Band although, he has done many of them. The gas and bloating will last at least a few days. I just came back from Walgreen getting some GAS x. Its actually helping some.

:omg_smile: Congrats Tina, I'm going in for surgery on the 15th, getting alittle nervous but can't wait to get this weight off, hope your recovery is a good one, Hugs Bobbie:smile2:

Hello to everyone out there!

When I got married I was 170 and a size 10. I would LOVE to be that size again.

I know what you mean when I was in the AF I weighed a chunky 199 (My max) and had a hard time staying there now at 318 I wish I was a fat 199... I guess it's all relative...

Good luck and hope you feel better soon....JT

Congrats! I am the wife of a retired Air Force Tsgt. I a sure hoping tricare approves me!!!!! How long did it take for your approval?

Not long actually. From the time my family doc put in the request to the time I was scheduled for surgery was not even two months. The biggest delay was the fact that no one in the area here does the surgery, so I had to get special approval to go so far from home. While not good for your health, the more co-morbid symptoms you have from being overweight, like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, thyroid, etc. the sooner you get approved.

Congrats! Tina! I had my surgery a week ago today. The gas is no fun - try walking around for a least 10 minutes and see if that doesn't help getting some of the gas moving out! Also drinking something warm helps!

Talk to you soon

Robinmaire