Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Charlotte, NC

Just got my operation done two weeks ago exactly today. As of today, I am suposed to start the mushie diet and I am excited to have something else besides liquids!!!! already had some and it feels normal.

My Physician was Dr. Carl Lowe of Carolina Surgical. Will have my first filll in 3 weeks.

Lots of questions....the first week it felt like I had something inside...starting the second week, it does not feel like that anymore. It feel way too normal actually other than the pain from surgery and around the port.

I havent got the full/choking sensation yet.??????????

Is that normal.....Am I reading too much about sleapage?

Concerned? you bet...However my Dc says to relax andnot to worry!!! is this normal..???? ..:biggrin::cursing: Anybody with same experience?

I'm right there with ya! I was banded 8/25. I felt the same way, could feel something the first week, now not so much. But I've talked to others and they say it's normal. That the fills will help alot and you'll be able to notice a difference as soon as you start them on a regular basis. And my nurse said right now I'm not getting the full affect of the band, that will come when I start my fills... I'm sure you'll feel different soon. Good luck!!!

Thanks Amber, Good to hear!!! Pheeeeewwww!

btw, I am 6"2

Started the process in May 08 at 325 lbs and excersized (Personal Trainer) my way down to 303 lbs prior to liquid diet. Right before the operation I had gone down to 292 lbs thanks to the liquid diet. I have gone down to 282 since banded and I have hit a plateau. Right now....282-286-284 up and down!!! Have gone from a 48 waist to a 44.

Mitch V

That's awesome Mitch! Don't get down, for some it comes off slower than others. I lost 10lbs with the liquid diet and only 6lbs since the surgery. So I'm trying to keep positive that it will fall off soon! lol. Sounds like you're doing great, don't worry

OK newly banded people.. I'm working on my BCBS requirements and my fears are growing concerning the anestesia. I have never had surgery and I am scared to death! Could you give us waiting a summary of your surgery experience? Thanks so much!!!!!!

bandofhope Why do you fear the anestesia? My experience was being wheeled into the prep room and they give you a medication in your iv so that you can relax, but you will still be awake. The surgical staff came by to meet me and go over my medical information. They walked me to the surgery room and I got on the table. They went over my medical information one more time. Then the doctor puts a mask over your face and they said good night. The next thing I remember is being woke up in the recovery room. They were shaking me by my shoulders and calling my name & saying wake up. I immediately said, was my liver small enough? They said no but we were able to do the surgery. You still feel groggy and not quite in control of your body. I felt thirsty and they gave me some Water and covered me in warm blankets. I was relieved that the surgery was over and successful. I know your fear of the surgery, but it is well worth it! Good luck on your journey.

OK newly banded people.. I'm working on my BCBS requirements and my fears are growing concerning the anestesia. I have never had surgery and I am scared to death! Could you give us waiting a summary of your surgery experience? Thanks so much!!!!!!

No need to fear. They put an IV on you. (mine was in the LH Wrist) and that was it.... they rolled me into the OR, move me to the Operation table they say, count til 10, I did and never went by 4.....until I woke up on my own all done! Expect your recuperation to be at least 2 hours and then you will be released home with lots of happy pills! Enjoy the time down while you can before life gets hectic all over again!

Good luck!:omg_smile:

My surgery was a pretty normal expierence! I showed up that morning, put on a gown, and they put these things on my feet to help against blood clots. The nurses gave me an IV and some pepcid for any heartburn. I laid in my bed talking to my husband while waiting on the doc for about an hour. Then nurses came in and put something in my IV for pain and to put me to sleep. Not sure what that was. I waved goodbye to my husband as they wheeled me in to the room where the surgery would take place. I remember I then started feeling a little sleepy. Then they put a mask over my nose and mouth, I did not like that! Made me feel chlosterphobic (spelling?). But within 30 seconds I passed out. Last thing I remember is them pulling on my gown to get it adjusted and telling me I had a pretty butterfly tattoo, lol. It was over so quick. I woke up in the recovery room with some pain in my chest. They gave me more pain medicine. Then wheeled me to my room where my husband was waiting for me. I stayed there till about 3 or 4pm, sleeping mostly. They had me drink some Water, made sure it went down ok, then walked me to the bathroom. And then I went home! It really was not bad. Now the next couple days were a little rough, pain wise. But I really was happy with the experience, anesthia was great. Everyone is different, but I have no complaints!

They put the IV in while I was in the pre-surgery room. As they were wheeling me into the ER they knocked me out. I woke up in recovery in what seemed like mins later, but it was like 1 1/2 hrs. It wasn't that bad. They gave me pain medication shortly after waking up and some Water to sip on. I was put under last year to have wisdom teeth removed and it was nothing like this.

Oscar

Are you happy with going home the same day? In Buffalo we stay overnight and the next day the doctor does a barium swallow to check the position of the band and then you go home. I understand you don't get a lot of rest in the hospital but I think I like the safety of being there. I will be banded October 13th.

I was ok. I did the barium swallow before I went home. I slept in a recliner as I was not able to lay on my side. The pain medication worked great. I was also able to walk around pretty good. Everytime I woke up I made sure I walked around.

No barium for me.....Released just after two hours. happy pills provided and good instructions as to what to do!!!!

Does anybody has farting issues? I am farting like a mad man!!!!:omg_smile: that's all....blanks only. ..nothing else!

That's awesome Mitch! Don't get down, for some it comes off slower than others. I lost 10lbs with the liquid diet and only 6lbs since the surgery. So I'm trying to keep positive that it will fall off soon! lol. Sounds like you're doing great, don't worry
well If I am doing my math correctly, we have very similar loss wt. during the liquid diet and after the procedure. I swear I saw 282 once but it has been more 28-286....

Cool to know we have similar experiences

Yes, farting and burping.