Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken legal action over punctured tubing

I am so frustrated! About 3 months ago I lost restriction, went to my Dr every week for 6 weeks to find out problem and he did fill after fill. Finally found out I had a leak in the tubing and had to have port and tubing replaced. I am a self pay with no insurance and have been treated so nasty by the hospital - they wanted to charge me $7100 for the 15 minute surgery. I have a $1200 anesthesia bill, almost $500 for an upper GI. The financial lady at the hospital discounted it to $1400 and I had to sign the paper and pay her $75 or I couldn't have my surgery there. The office manager at the Dr.s office who I have called several times to get some kind of advice from either won't return my calls or doesn't call back when she said she would. I do have an appointment tomorrow and am bringing in all my bills to show the Dr. I feel he should pay for them, am I wrong? I don't want to get a lawyer but the more I get treated so badly the madder I get. Has anyone gone through this. I know a leak is a risk you take but come on. I'm sure the Dr could get a response from the hospital. And the no communication from his office is what's really bugging me. I am so uncomfortable even going there now. I feel like one of "those" patients. If it was my fault or a slip or something like that I would be more understanding but my patience is running out. HELP!!!!!!! To make matters worse - I gained 25 lbs back trying to get hime to run some tests to find the problem!:biggrin:

I am so frustrated! About 3 months ago I lost restriction, went to my Dr every week for 6 weeks to find out problem and he did fill after fill. Finally found out I had a leak in the tubing and had to have port and tubing replaced. I am a self pay with no insurance and have been treated so nasty by the hospital - they wanted to charge me $7100 for the 15 minute surgery. I have a $1200 anesthesia bill, almost $500 for an upper GI. The financial lady at the hospital discounted it to $1400 and I had to sign the paper and pay her $75 or I couldn't have my surgery there. The office manager at the Dr.s office who I have called several times to get some kind of advice from either won't return my calls or doesn't call back when she said she would. I do have an appointment tomorrow and am bringing in all my bills to show the Dr. I feel he should pay for them, am I wrong? I don't want to get a lawyer but the more I get treated so badly the madder I get. Has anyone gone through this. I know a leak is a risk you take but come on. I'm sure the Dr could get a response from the hospital. And the no communication from his office is what's really bugging me. I am so uncomfortable even going there now. I feel like one of "those" patients. If it was my fault or a slip or something like that I would be more understanding but my patience is running out. HELP!!!!!!! To make matters worse - I gained 25 lbs back trying to get hime to run some tests to find the problem!:sad:

My friend Peaches9 had the same thing - but I think her doc made good on their error - I don't think she had to pay anything - p.m her and ask

Thanks - I sent her a PM. Went to the Dr today and they basically told me it was one of the risks of having a lapband and I was responsible. The office manager did say she was trying to get some of the bills taken care of, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks - I sent her a PM. Went to the Dr today and they basically told me it was one of the risks of having a lapband and I was responsible. The office manager did say she was trying to get some of the bills taken care of, so we'll see what happens.

Messed up doctor how are you responsible you didn't stick yourself with a needle they did they are the professionals - they should fix it IMHO.

That's the way I feel. I've been so PO'd because I would like to think the Dr. could get the charges dropped at the hospital. That's why I'm wondering if I should get legal advice, I really hate to go that route. I am trying to get financial aid from the hospital even though the nasty lady I talked to said I couldn't because this was "elective" surgery. Don't know how she came up with that because I sure didn't "elect" to have it. I just don't know where to turn. I do like the Dr., I think I am one of the very few that has had a problem but I think he should step up and pay.

I am so sorry to hear you are having the problems you're having. I don't get it. Why should you be charged for a malfunction. I can understand them charging a minimal amount but full price? I think my tubing has come off of my band as I now have no restriction. I'm hoping my insurance company will pay to have the tubing reattached. Good Luck and keep us informed.

I hope you don't have the same problem - please don't let them drag it out as long as I did. Even though I tried to get something done immediately it took almost 2 months (and 25 lbs) to get it fixed. If it is a leak, it's not bad to get fixed, just a little uncomfortable and I hope your insurance will pay if the Dr. does'nt.

I'm still trying to get something done even though I was told it's a "risk you take" with having the lapband. I'm praying that the Dr. will take care of the anesthesia and hospital because I don't want to get a lawyer involved.

Make a complaint with your states Medical Board. This is ridiculous and you shouldn't have to go through this...

I was going to, I am self pay and when they thought I had a leak in my tube, I was livid. I emailed allergan from their website, how upset I was and how I felt they should pay it.

Within 24 hours a guy called, gave me his direct number and they were sending a packet to my doc for them to send it back.

They were really nice and attentive, I was very impressed.. I ended up just having a flipped port, so no replacement was needed.