Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manatee's turn for plastics

I hurt ALL the time right now. The pain runs from a dull ache in the morning to agony as the day moves on. If I exert myself in any way, I feel like I'm ripping in half. Walking for a long time inflames the abdomen, to the point that all I want to lay down. I didn't even get to finish the whole Graceland complex tour.

All of this would be OK if I were happy with the results, but at this point I am not. I know that I am supposed to be patient, and the doc says things are on track, but I look in the mirror and I still see that damnable roll sitting there, mocking me. I can hide it, mostly, with clothing, but the whole point of this thing was to look good in the nude. Now I'm just a fatty with a scar :D

I'm certain things will be better in the future, but for now, I'm not all that sure the work was worth the cash.

Manatee - i'm really sorry you are still in a lot of pain. it does take awhile... really...

and the results - i am STILL seeing positive changes in my body from my TT/lipo in FEBRUARY. i know its difficult to be patient, but you just gotta be....

hang in there.

Manatee,

I am so sorry that you feeling so crappy. I think you need to take some time and be kinder to yourself. I know this is almost impossible to conceive of - but could you consider taking a week and just vegging out and resting? You just had major surgery and you almost seem to be punishing yourself with activity (1260 miles, weights, biking).

I just have to say this - if you are like me, you used to abuse yourself with food and now you seem to abusing yourself with activity. I know my ps said I needed to take it really easy (in fact he wanted me to do almost nothing which was interesting as my other surgeon wanted to move as much as possible) and let my body heal. He also said that my body creating the extra Fluid was my response to the trauma and the more I did, the more I would need to trade off in terms of swelling and Fluid. From what I have read on this thread, you took almost no time to heal and you have pushing yourself extremely hard since the surgery.

The pictures you posted look absolutely terrrific. Try to remember that and try to remember that you just had MAJOR surgery. I think sometimes we think that because ps is elective and cosmetic, it somehow doesn't count as traumatic to our bodies and our minds.

I know that one of the hardest things to do after all the hard work you have done is feel like you are taking a step back and turning into a "jellyfish", but deep down you know that your conditioning isn't going away and you will get back to fighting shape quickly - especially if you take the time to actually let yourself heal. Look at all those high end athletes who retire, return back to their sport after a long period of time and get back to their peak (and maybe evern better) in very little time. Trust in yourself and your body - your body is telling you you need to give it a break - maybe it is time to start listening to your body.

As someone from the outside looking in - your money was WELL spent - please take some time to actually take care of yourself and LOVE yourself. I am pretty sure if you give yourself permission to rest, your body will start to respond and you will return to the vibrant, active person you want to be (oh and also include incredibly HOT).

Jacquie

You are 4 days behind me and I am still definately swollen - my waist is bigger than it was before surgery at some times of the day. My activity is also very limited too - by the end of the day i am hunched over like an old woman! Also, I know I am retaining fluids because 12-15lbs of skin was removed and I am only down about 7-8 lbs so far. My point? We have a good 6 -8 weeks mroe of recovery ahead of us - sorry to say. Every day will get a tad better but give yourself a break! Your body is trying to fight its way back. I do understand what you are feeling though - I am tired of feeling like an invalid also and am used to being very physically active. Also scared to death of getting out of condition.

Yup, another plasics followup

Dropped by the friendly grinning doc's place for yet another stab-n-grab at the fluids. 70 cc this time, bringing me to an even 500 cc out. That's almost 17 fl oz, so we're now up to a grande FiveBucks expresso.

We spoke at length (8 whole minutes!) about the pain and what to expect. He says now that I should be at 80% completed in 10 weeks, 90% at 6 months, and the final product won't be there for a full year. I was surprised by that, I honestly had no idea that the timeframe was that extended. I'm certain that we weren't talking that far out during the consults.

Ah well. About the pain, he said that it was generally caused by the deep stitches that tie into the muscles, and that it will eventually go away as the stitches dissolve. He did pop for another pain pill prescription, so I suppose that will be fine. I'm not big on things that fog my brain, but if it gets too bad I'll take some.

So there it is. I think I'll quit posting about this process now. Unless there's significant change, things should just rock along for a while.

Say it ain't so, Manatee! At least post to update pictures.

7_1_106v.gifManatee, I am sorry you are hurting so much right now. Try to relax and let your body heal. You have been thru major surgeries and a multitude of changes. 1st the LB. Your body had to adjust to having that surgery. Then it had to adjust to a different way of eating. Then came the dreaded excersize. After reaching goal you have plastic surgery. Your body needs a rest. You really do look great! People have a tendicy to look at themselves differently than others do. Please listen to all of us and what we say about your looks. Take care hon. Keep us posted please.

sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

Manatee: Sounds like your in a funk. Major surgery can cause depression so be aware that might be happening. I agree with everything that has been said thus far. I would add that even though your ps said you don't need to wear the dreaded compression garment, you will feel better if you do. Especially when you know there is going to be a lot of walking. It really will help. Also, start taking Vitamin D3. It will help the depression. Good luck!

Thanks for all the votes of confidence.

I want to look like this guy, but I think I'm 20 years late.

Still, doing ok. See the guy in white in the second pic, there in the center? That's me in Oct 2006. Those are 48" pants in the waist...

Manatee...

I know where that "before" picture was taken! That is a pretty good restaurant. My parents live just the other side of that lake from where you were standing! (or should I say floating) That is where I grew up! Right across from the Home Depot and kinda behind the funeral home. of course... none of that was there when I was a kid I remember when there was only one bridge there! It used to be a sleepy little town. Do you get to this town much, or were you just visiting?

I used to fish at those pillars under the bridge with my dad when I was a kid!!!!

Small World!

by the way... GREAT job on your loss and "clean up" surgery!

Edited by TxArcher

"non scale victory"

I was poking around and happened upon a drumline jacket from my 2nd sophmore year in college. Just out of curiosity I tried it on, and danged if it didn't fit just fine. In fact, it was a bit big.

So I'm not where I wanted to be yet, but I've made it back to 1990 :)

I declare goal!

That's it, I'm done as far as I'm concerned. 180-190 is a fine goal range, and the body shape is coming together. I doubt I'll ever be completely happy with my look, but so be it. Time to move on :)

s320x240

s320x240

That's a medium shirt, a 34 pant, and on a good day a flatish stomach. Good enough for government work.

You look great!

What do you mean by "Time to move on"? Are you saying that now you've reached goal you are abandoning the rest of us who are still on our journey? We need successful experienced banders to continue to be on this site to help us through the rough spots and more importantly to motivate us. When I see the successful b/a pics, it really keeps me going. My weight loss has been excrutiatingly slow so I need all the motivation I can get.

I have to say it again, YOU LOOK GREAT!!! :)

You look terrific. I hope that by "moving on" you mean that you are going to appreciate your normal sized body and have a great life! Congratulations on your hard work and resultant success!

Sue

Back in the saddle again

Feeling pretty good but getting flabby, so it's back to the bike to see if I can ride.

Rolled an easy 13 miles today in just under an hour. Not a great pace but I had no real pains. This bodes well for the future :thumbup:

Glad to hear you are feeling more upbeat and positive. I'm looking forward to some new pics.