Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How exactly is being banded so much easier than losing without??

A lot of people have this mis-conception that getting a lap band will make weight loss so much easier, as if to be "the easy way out" (not referring to anyone in this group, primarily referring to thin people who have never had weight problems yet still like to think they know everything).

How is this, exactly?

I've worked my A$$ off in the past to lose weight and NOTHING happens. After getting banded, I'm still going to have to exercise just as much as anyone who wants to lose weight, and I'm going to have to eat not just healthy but SUPER healthy (especially at first).

I'm going to have to make a TON of lifestyle changes that even a regular diet-and-exercise weight loss person wouldn't have to make (no caffiene, no beverages with sugar, no drinking with meals, etc.).

Getting banded will enable me to lose weight... but "easy" falls nowhere in my idea of post-banding lifestyle.

I wish people <without weight problems> would understand this.

Here's how I explain it to people:

For me, losing weight without the band is like playing tennis with a salmon instead of a racket. It's possible, but really hard.

The band is just my "racket." It's a tool that makes it easier to play the game.

I used to be so offended when people considered the band the easy way out as well. I have learned to let it go because the anger does nothing but hurt me. Honestly, if people ask you, you can explain to them that if you ate whatever you wanted, it would be the exact same as not having the band at all. All I know, is my boss had the bypass and she doesn't do anything for exercise and eats fast food and candy all day. She lost the weight anyway. If I ever ate half the crap that she ate, i would have gained it all back and than some.

the band is a tool not a quick fix. People who think that are just ignorant to what the lap band even is.

I have a quote that I like from one of my books (either Lapband Solution or Lapband Companion): "The band is not around your lips. It is around your stomach. It cannot keep food out of your mouth. Only you can do that."

The band is a tool that allows you to exercise Portion Control. End of story. You are right, you still have to exercise, eat healthy, and eat differently. Easy just isn't part of the equation.

Playing tennis with a salmon! I love that!!! How true!!

All of your comments were exactly right! I know I had unrealistic expectations as to how the band would work for me. I was hoping to be one of those people where the weight just falls off!! Not!! I guess if I was, I would not have needed banding!

I wish they did put a band around my lips when they put the band in my stomach!! I know I have to take responsibility for what I eat and I need to get my butt out there and exercise - the band won't do that for me!

Terri :thumbup:

Good luck to us all!

A vicotry is not as sweet if not earned :] Plus I'm sure most of us could use the endorphines from the exercise lol

Edited by Hollie519
spelling

A lot of people have this mis-conception that getting a lap band will make weight loss so much easier, as if to be "the easy way out" (not referring to anyone in this group, primarily referring to thin people who have never had weight problems yet still like to think they know everything).

How is this, exactly?

I've worked my A$$ off in the past to lose weight and NOTHING happens. After getting banded, I'm still going to have to exercise just as much as anyone who wants to lose weight, and I'm going to have to eat not just healthy but SUPER healthy (especially at first).

I'm going to have to make a TON of lifestyle changes that even a regular diet-and-exercise weight loss person wouldn't have to make (no caffiene, no beverages with sugar, no drinking with meals, etc.).

Getting banded will enable me to lose weight... but "easy" falls nowhere in my idea of post-banding lifestyle.

I wish people <WITHOUT problems weight>would understand this.

Katiebug

You will be one of the success stories - you are not relying on your band but on you to do the work.

I say I did 75% of the work by choosing to eat healthy and exercise - the band did 25% by controling my portions.

The Portion Control is a big thing for me, I was always a healthy eater for meals, with a big sweet tooth in between. My trouble was I would be "good" all day and then eat a healthy but ENORMOUS dinner because I thought I could afford the calories or if I did break out, I would eat tons. My eating still follows the same pattern, but the portion control is enforced somewhat.

Oh, you can get round it. Eat a bit then eat a bit more later. You can eat Cookies all day. That's the hard bit, you have to work on that. And my band doesnt make me run!

You know. The salmon analogy is a really good one, very true!

All I know, is my boss had the bypass and she doesn't do anything for exercise and eats fast food and candy all day. She lost the weight anyway. If I ever ate half the crap that she ate, i would have gained it all back and than some.

the band is a tool not a quick fix. People who think that are just ignorant to what the lap band even is.

People who've had the bypass gain the weight back if they don't change their lifestyle/eating habits.