Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

psoriasis??

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there suffers from psoriasis and if the band and good eating has helped, i suffer quite badly but have been on a low gluten diet previously and it seemed to help alot, thought that since white bread etc is quite difficult to eat once banded that it might be a cure of sorts :confused: anyones experience greatly appreciated :thumbup:

I have psoriasis and was banded July 10/08. So far i haven't noticed a difference :thumbup: I am also hoping my hair doesn't fall out because it is most severe on my scalp :confused:

I'd like to hear other peoples answers as well :biggrin:

hey all. I too suffer from moderate to severe psoriasis...over 50 % of my body and have psoriatic arthritis. I am on Enbrel... two 50 ml injections a week and will probably need a topical ointment of some type post operation. I use Triamcinolone Ointment when I have to which is too messy. I am scheduled for banding on Jan. 29th. When I talked to my dermatologist at Vanderbilt the other day about the surgery she said that banding should HELP the psoriasis/pa in the long run with the better diet and the weight loss. I will have to be off the Enbrel 2 weeks prior and 2-3 weeks post-op so I am sure I will get worse then...but should rebound back better than ever!! I know the weight loss will not be a cure because slim, healthy people also suffer from psoriasis but hey, anything better is a plus!! :thumbup: I am just wondering if anyone in this site has improved post op? I will keep optimistic since at least the excess weight will be gone to I can exercise! Plus I am quitting smoking as well...on the Nicolrete gum through Cooper Clayton Method and down to 4 smokes at night and 2 in AM and NONE at work...down from a pack a day. woooohooo!! Looking forward to a new me in 2009!!

Teresa

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13.

I did notice it went away COMPLETELY when I was on the Protein shakes for 3 weeks, but I was doing these ones with no whey or dairy Proteins in them. It seemed to be good, however, once I went back to food, it's acting up again. I have mild psoriasis, as it goes, but for me it's a real hassle.

I have it on my scalp, elbows and knees only, oh and my EARS, which is the worst. It has lessened on my knees and elbows significantly. It used to be thicker but in small spots (nickel sized) now It's very thin and just like little white bumps, but covers more area, it looks more like dry skin now. When I have the ointment on you can't even see it, so it is a lot better!! I don't know if it's the food though. I used to have an RX but haven't been to a derm in awhile and have been using over the counter stuff... so that could have something to do with it.

I wonder how much it's related to food and how much is just my body getting healthier in general (exercise, more Water, etc.)

I agreee and that is what I am saying too. Is it the weight loss or the healthier diet and lifestyle. And congrats on your weight loss!!! I am so eating at Christmas bacause I am doing the liver shrinking diet for 3 weeks prior to surgery to help detox from all the meds, etc...

I have suffered with this since age 5 and I am on embrel 2 tmes weekly.

I do really well on the injections.

Keri

Hi Little Froggie,

I noticed that you had three fills since surgery - would you mind telling me about how you felt after each one - please be as specific as possible if you can remember - its important to know what to expect - I have high hopes -

It would be most helpful and I would appreciate greatly -

Thanks and happy holidays -

I had psoriasis on my ankles really bad, and it did go away after I lost about 80lbs (I contribute it to better circulation--but no doctor confirmed that).

However, I have developed psoriasis on my hands in the past couple of months despite the weight loss :thumbup:

I had psoriasis on my ankles really bad, and it did go away after I lost about 80lbs (I contribute it to better circulation--but no doctor confirmed that).

However, I have developed psoriasis on my hands in the past couple of months despite the weight loss :huh2:

I will have to stop my Enbrel on the 1st until post-op. My doc says she recommends that...so I am in a terrible flare on my arms and legs and shoulder blades right now with the holidays, the pre-op things I am trying to get done just in case they move my date up to the 15th...oh and the weather has been hot to cold to warm to cold to RAIN , so I will REALLY be bad by the time I have the surgery...luckily Psoriasis won't prevent the surgery. :tongue2:

Unfortunately, I have not seen any improvement in my psoriasis. I have it on my scalp and in my nails quite badly. (I've also been in remission from psoriatic arthritis for over ten years.)

I do not have psoriasis. However, I have another rare skind disorder Hidradenitis suppurativa. I have noticed a huge difference in the health of my skin and the break outs. While I almost always have a sore I don't have it anything like I did 70lbs ago. I think there is hope. You may not notice it instantly as it takes months to catch up to your weight loss.

I will have to stop my Enbrel on the 1st until post-op. My doc says she recommends that...so I am in a terrible flare on my arms and legs and shoulder blades right now with the holidays, the pre-op things I am trying to get done just in case they move my date up to the 15th...oh and the weather has been hot to cold to warm to cold to RAIN , so I will REALLY be bad by the time I have the surgery...luckily Psoriasis won't prevent the surgery. :frown:

I didn't have to stop mine.... just couldn't give it in the belly.

I am sorry about your flare ups!

Keri

I take mine in the thighs so I will talk to her...maybe she thought I was taking it in the abdomen. Thanks for the info kerimezz77!! And kudos on the weight loss!! It is very nice to talk to so many people with the same skin and joint problems as I... and as for nymoosic, how great to think of remission from the PA. I have had it ten years and have only been close to remission about 3 years ago when I first took Enbrel. I am praying that I will see some improvement with the weight loss!!