Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be concerned about my surgeon?

I got back from my pre-op visit with my surgeon on Friday. We were talking about I asked her how many bands had she placed already. Expecting her to say like hundreds, she told me 50... JUST 50.

She explained to me that it was because when bands first came out, there wre people getting them taken back out due to complications. She JUST started implementing bands in HER office as of a year ago, and she only allows around 50 a year so that she is more personal, and can remember the patients she puts them in.

She wanted everyone else to get the kinks fixed with the bands before she started putting them in.

So with that reassurance I feel better about it, but now.. I wonder... would YOU be concerned?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I went with my surgeon who had only performed 3 surgeries. At least, that's all he told me. He was very evasive about numbers performed, but when I asked if he'd done any, he said, Of course, you have to do three in front of a proctor. I was the third surgery on my day, so I was probably his sixth.

Now he had done many gastric bypass operations, which he assured me were much more complicated than the band. I'm happy with how my surgery went, but there were a lot of places he fell short in other ways which surrounded him being a new surgeon to Lapband.

From what you say about your surgeon, I would feel comfortable with her. She sounds like she's competent and not just pumping band patients through her office like crazy. I would ask if there are some patients that you can talk to about their experience. You're likely to get a pretty good picture from that aspect. Good luck. I know it's a hard thing to decide.

There is no way on earth I would go to a surgeon who had only done 50 unless that was the only way on earth I could get the band. And even then I'd wait. Sorry but statistically you want surgeons who have done higher numbers, with a team who has "seen it all". That is not to say your surgeon isn't a marvel of modern medicine! I am just playing the percentages and I want a young person with TONS of experience to cut on me. At the least, I'd want a "pro" to scrub in and assist.

Not to scare you...but that's one thing that articles always say when telling you "how to pick a surgeon"...you want one who has done it and can't be caught off guard by anything that happens. Bariatric surgery is risky...we obese are high risk to begin with. I wanted every point in my favor when I went in.

My surgeon also has a "center of excellence" and he's done over 1000 surgeries. Guess which one I'd pick? LOL

Honestly I understand students need to learn etc etc...however I stand by my initial answer...I would find a surgeon with more surgeries under his or her belt.

I googled "How to I pick a good surgeon" and this popped up in the first option:

Pick a surgeon who does little but the procedure that you need to have done. If you must have a lump removed from your breast, pick a surgeon who does this procedure a hundred or more times per year

Just because she does bypass doesnt' mean she's good at placing the band (you have to move the liver, maneuver it around the top of the stomach, place it low enough to give enough of a "pouch" but high enough to do some good, etc etc)

I agree with RestlessMonkey. I want someone who has performed the surgery many times as well and has "seen it all." Yes, there are risks involved with any surgery and any surgeon, but I feel more comfortable going with someone who has the experience.

There was a doctor 3 miles from my house that has done 50 surgeries.

I went with the one 40 miles from my house who has done hundreds and hundreds.

This is surgery. You want someone who knows not only how to do the procedure right---but knows (and has experience with) EXACTLY what to do if something goes WRONG.

Probably nothing will go wrong. Are you willing to take that chance?

I wasn't.

That doctor needs to get more bands under her belt. She may be a great doc-to-be, but she needs more experience. Her "I only want to do a small amount to be more personal," is only meant to try to make you AND her feel better. Let's see if she only does a small amount 2 years from now....

I went to 7 seminars to find the doc that I just knew would be the one for me. And I have had great success and feel fine!

Whatever you decide, good luck and we wish you the best!

Judy

My surgeon just began his banding practice this March and I was banded in June. I had my doubts, like you, but decided to go with him because of location. I am very happy that I did. So far, everything has went well and he did a good job. He had extensive training and mentoring by one of the pioneering band surgeons, so that helped to ease my concerns. His bedside manner is great and so far, he has been very attentive to my concerns. Plus, he has been a surgeon for many years, so it is not like he is a new physician. Research your doctor online and try to locate some of her patients on here, if you can. Good luck in whatever you decide. :thumbup:

my goodness they have to start somewhere! My surgeon is only 34 and I asked him how many lapbands he had done and he said 100. I was a bit worried but he was very caring and checked up on me constantly. You have to go with your gut instinct!

My surgeon had done more than 700 lap bands and probably almost as many hernia surgeries as well. After everything I read the complications are lower with the surgeons who have done the most. Plus it helped that this guy was less than 5 miles down the road. That being said, I think 50 is still a lot. I think about my job, and after doing the same thing 50 times I feel like an expert at it...go with your (soon to be shrinking) gut feeling. Or interview other surgeons and decide how you feel about them.

I'm not sure how this woman is supposed to get more experience if everyone says avoid her.

Now this may be me speaking out of my butt....so forgive me if it doesn't make sense.....but I wonder if these guys who have done 1000's start taking short cuts because they "know" so much with having so much experience. I would think a newer surgeon would still be doing it "by the book".

Granted I wouldn't want to be #1 or even #10, but by 50 I would think she is getting a little comfortable with her skills.

JMHO

More experience is always better when you're getting surgery. Always. Unless the surgeon has a substance abuse problem.