Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello this is my very first discussion

Hello to all, I have been wanting to get banded for a while now but my insurance didn't cover it. I talked with my father and he co signed for me and I was able to get approved to pay for it myself. Now I am with a dilemma of should I get this done. I have been over weight since my first child when I was 24. When I was younger I was very physical and athletic and never really suffered from being over weight. When I was 20 I got into a bad car accident broke my ankle to where I can never run or really be physically active like I was before. I didn't gain the weight until I got pregnent the first time when I was 24 and was 220pds . Since then I have had 2 more babies and have never been able to get under 200pd. Needless to say I am now 38ys old and am 268pds. Now that I can get the the lap band I am a little nervous because I have been reading about all the cons and difficulties people are having and I am worried if this is what I should do? It's weird I've been wanting this but now that I can get it I don't know if I should? I am a little confused.:thumbup:

I think that the lap band is only a tool. I have noticed that people who have lost their goal weight and are doing good is people who workout and follow a good healthy diet. So, I would definetly make sure you are able to excercise if you want to loose the weight more steadly. but, definetly talk to your surgeon and make sure he agrees with your situation.

Good luck!!

Hi. Welcome!! You are feeling the same feelings that I think a lot of people do. No one can say what is best for you - only you can. I read lots of posts on here and when you read about someone who had complications or results that are not what they wanted.. it makes you think... and wonder. There are so many successful stories on here and even the ones I read that have had problems - MOST say if they had it to do over again, they would. Every surgery has risks. I just made a list of the risks of the surgery and the risks I am taking carrying all of this extra weight around. For me it was simple. My surgery is scheduled for Sept. 12th. I am keeping a positive attitude, praying, and hoping for the best. I am ready to do what I need to do to be healthier. The band is the tool that I have decided on to help me get there. I wish you luck in making your decision. Again.... welcome!!! Becky

I agree with the other posters. You have to decide. We'll all answer questions etc for you as best we can, but we can't "sell" you on the band. If you've researched it and are still in doubt, you need to listen to yourself. If the only research you've done is reading the "cons" posted on this board, I think some additional research is in order.

thanks for your reply, I can do the treadmill and the elipicatical probably misspelled this. I guess talking with my doctor about issues that I physically have will help. Is it difficult with your eating habits? Are you able to eat salads and fruits?

Corvetterol, have you gone to a seminar? Because at mine at least a LOT of that type of stuff was answered, and that may be a big help to you! Post op it will depend on your restriction but my doc at least recommends we eat Protein first, then veggies, and last fruit, at least while we're in the weight loss phase. It will be a struggle to get protein in and it is very important. Once I have lost all you want, according again to my doc, I'll be able to eat anything I want, but in smaller portions than before I got the band.

Thanks, I appreciate your posts. Your so right I was talking with my mother which I do everyday. I have 3 girls and with my last pregnancy I almost hit 300 pds I had diebets and high blood pressure during my pregnancy. I was so depressed and scared I lost some of the weight after the pregnancy but I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life without being pregnant and older. My doctor said if I don't loose the weight I will get diebetes, high blood pressure, incontinence. That scares me. I want to be around for my kids for a long time. I guess I am a little scared of the surgery. I wanted to know about the cons before going into this I guess I was looking at more of the cons then the pros.?

Hi, yes I went to a seminar but it's been a few months. Then I thought my insurance would cover it but it didn't. I guess now that I can get it all these questions started popping up in my head. Especially when I started reading about bad experiences. I plan on talking with him. I have already scheduled this surgery on the 18th. I bought the shake and I have to start it tomorrow. I am excited but nervous at the same time. Does that make sense?

It makes sense to me. Its a huge decision. I wasn't nervous but I have wanted the band since it came out here in 2001. I talked myself into and out of it 100 times before this summer when it finally all came together for me. What specifically are you afraid of? You can ask here, and also ask your surgeon about those fears. He should be able to address then for you. If he blows you off or is dismissive, don't let him do the surgery!

You really hit the head on the nail. I am afraid of not being about to eat the foods that I like anymore? I am actually crying? isn't that stupied? I don't know what is wrong with me. I guess I have always used food as a comfort or something? I want my body to change but I am scared of will I be able to do it? I don't want to be caught up with medicines to stay alive. I do want to change and I know I can do it. I have tried everything else and it never worked. I know that this is a positive step for me and once it is done and I actually start losing the weight I know I will feel better about myself and what I am doing with my life and the future with my kids. I believe me finding this website and being able to talk with people that are doing the same thing is a positive step also. I personally don't know anybody that has had it done except on t.v. or at that seminar. This website and talking with you and everyone else that has posted has already gave me the confidence that I need. I appreciate it.

thanks, believe me this has been a desire I always wanted but it's weird when you can actually do it? well all I can say is the door is there and for me to open it to a new life and body? I have to say that I know that there are more benefits for my health by doing this. Good luck.

I understand. I cried a little too. BUT....food won't be your comfort any more. If I were you I'd find a good therapist and go to some sessions....because you will grieve that loss just like the loss of a loved one...and if you don't find another outlet you can "eat around the band" by choosing high fat, high sugar foods instead of the healthy ones. The band will help you control your true "body or physiological hunger"...but that "head" or emotional hunger you have to deal with. I personally went to a therapist for 10 months to try to figure out how to stop overeating and she helped me immensely. Without that, I would've been afraid about the band too.

You won't EVER eat as much as you do now, if you're successful. But once you are through losing, you will be able to eat most of the same foods, just less. (no carbonated beverages like sodas or beer though...doesn't work with the 2 stomachs!)

It is a tool to help you but won't do it for you. And if you aren't ready, that's ok. It IS scary. Anyone who thinks it's easy hasn't ever really faced it.

SO I do understand. To give up that relationship to food is big. I realized that, while I do like to eat 1 and a half chick fil a sandwiches, I never ever wished I could have 3 at once. Well, I figure one day when I can eat 1/3 of one and be full, I'll be happy with that. BUT I have to forgo them and make healthy choices now so I can lose. I'll still have to "diet" if that's how you want to look at it; the band will just help me be full, not hungry, while I am making those healthy picks.

You are very smart to make sure you want to do that and CAN do that before you pay for the surgery and get the band! They are questions we all should face and answer; the successful ones do face and answer before proceeding.

Thanks for your honesty. I could have been banded last month but I put it off until this month. I was thinking I wanted to eat pizza, hamburgers and bad stuff like that before I get banded? sick huh... it's pretty depressing. Instead of this being a great think it's like I am losing a friend? I am sometimes disgusted with myself for thinking like this. Yes I like to drink sodas this will be a struggle. I';m wondering how am I going to not drink and eat those things? sometimes they are fast and easy. I guess this is how I got like this huh?

I like pizza too (not sodas but I did like an occasional beer) I had to come to terms with it my own way. So I can't tell you how...but I can repeat that a therapist would probably help you A LOT. If you don't handle your emotional eating, then you are going to struggle with your weight for a long long time. If you can do something now while your kids are young you'll be grateful forever. You have to do it though. I wasn't an "emotional" eater and so can't give you any tips there, but I was a "reward" eater (I guess that's kind of emotional in a way, but I didn't eat from sadness or boredom or loneliness or anger or whatever LOL) and the therapist helped me.