Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

changes after lap band?

Hi,

i'm just starting my lap band journey. Have been cleared through insurance, picked out my Dr...Dr. Schram, Ypsilant Mi, and have gone through the psych screening.

Has anyone had previous problems with kidney stones, poly-sistic ovarian disease and noticed a change after their lap band procedure? Anyone who's had dr...Schram before?

can anyone offer any information on health improvements after their lap band?

Excited about the journey!:lovechoc:

chariTee

I know that there is a Polycystic Ovary Syndrome support board somewhere on here. Go to the main page and look for the Special Interests section on the menu on the left.

HI ChariTee,

While I haven't had kidney stones, I have had fertility problems in the past, probably related to PCOS though never formally diagnosed. (My OB/GYN and I had this conversation a few years back - but since I'm done having children, it's a moot point) Anyhow, I can tell you about some health improvements I've experienced post banding.

Due to my weight loss:

Diabetes - I was taking two oral meds for type 2 diabetes, and my HA1C's (glycosated hemoglobin - measure of blood sugar control over time) were creeping up - last 7.1. I knew I'd have to start taking more meds soon, and probably insulin in the near future unless I lost weight. In just a couple months, I was longer taking ANY diabetes meds and last HA1C was 5.5 - NORMAL. Random blood sugars are NORMAL. Diabetes - gone!

Blood pressure - I was taking a bp med that was a 'ARB" and a 'Water pill' I now take 1/2 a pill, and could probably be off completely as my BP's are normal, and sometimes even too low if I don't drink enough.

sleep apnea - I can tell this is much improved. I still use my CPAP machine, but probably won't need it much longer.

Fitness level - I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without feeling really winded. I avoided any exercise like the plague. I now walk 2 - 3 miles a day, and don't even feel tired. I can walk up 3 flights of stairs non-stop. I used to hate to shop - I'd park in the closest parking area, shop briefly, and have to sit down in the mall for awhile. I hated taking my girls shopping, and mostly bought clothes from catalogs/internet. Now, I look forward to walking, shopping, and being active! I feel SO MUCH healthier and happier.

I've starting having periods again without taking progesterone - which I had needed to take for years or would never have a menstrual period. While this is ONE health improvement I could do without (LOL), it certainly is healthier!

Now, you don't have to have a band to experience improved health - you just need to loose weight. For me, it took the band to be able to do that! It's been the most wonderful thing I've ever done for myself! I still have a long way to go, but my life has changed SO MUCH in the past months, I am so grateful to have been banded! LIfe is so much better now.

Good luck with your journey.

Lizalee thank you for that information. It is so nice to actually see in writing from someone who went through it about the change in medication. I know they say it at the seminar, but to hear from you is so encouraging to me. Thanks for the uplift today.

You're very welcome!

I would have never believed the changes, and in only a few short months. Like you, I'd heard the stories, and even read the studies about health improvements, but didn't think it could happen to me. Nothing ever worked for me before.

It has been WORK to get to this point - but it's been worth it!

Congratulations on your recent surgery! How are things going for you?

Things are going great, although my weight loss has stopped for the moment. I get my first fill on 09-18-08 and I am sure that will help. I have been struggling with 4 pounds for three weeks now. Up some, down some but I am still ahead by a great deal. I am going home on Thursday and am excited to see my grand kids and my 5 great grand kids. I am also looking forward to my children seeing me 30 pounds lighter. My daughter here says she can tell the difference, but I can't. I am sure you understand what I am saying. I am so happy that I did get the band and am looking forward to the upcoming months of loosing weight. I also love this sight and all the wonderful supportive friends I have met here.

Dear Lizalee,

thanks so much for your information! Its so uplifiting to hear how much the lapband has helped you! It's like a whole new you!

i'm excited about the surgery, yet a little nervous too...i guess...changes make me nervous...but, for a healthier life i'm sure its worth it!

Thanks again! ChariTee