Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this band working????

I had gastric lap banding done overseas on May 26th. I ate only liquids for almost 2 weeks and lost 15 pounds. However, I recently started on soft foods, and had an episode of what felt like a stone in the middle of my chest after eating. That went away after I threw up a small amount... I am now able to eat almost any food that has been very well chewed, but in the past few days have noticed I don't feel full after eating--and I have gained back 2 pounds--any ideas what that means? (I am setting up an appointment with a doctor locally but am very nervous!)

Hi NRS1, Yup, you are exactly right on schedule. Many people find that while they are one liquids they loose weight quite rapidly,but once they start solid foods, many gain a few pounds.

You experienced your first "stuck" feeling and your very first productive burp, a.k.a. PB.

I've had one fill, and before I had my fill I could eat everything I wanted including cheeseburgers and pizza. :) Now I've had my fill, and I still don't have any trouble eating anything, but I am satified much sooner.

In my opinion i think that would mean that your ready for your first fill. My Dr told me anytime im gaining that means i need a fill.

3 weeks out is still the healing phase, too soon for a fill just yet. You mught want to back off the solid foods if you are continuing to have pain issues, or PBs.

Does having a "PB" increase the chance of something tearing? And is it true that the pouch can enlarge just from having too much liquid? I've been thirsty and afraid to drink anything because I'm so nervous I'll "undo" the surgery!

NRS1, you can't enlarge your pouch by drinking. If you take in too much Fluid at one time it will just come back up, and you'll know it. Drink!

PBs are to be avoided as much as possible, becuase their can lead to irritation and cycle of swelling and further negative effects. Once you have one, it's a very good idea to stay on liquids for at least 24 hours to let the tissues rest.

Your appetite returning is a sign that you're healing up, not that your band is not working. Once you're on solid foods and know whether you have any real restriction, then you can talk to your doctor about a fill if you need one. But you're still healing and I'd suggest sticking to soft foods for another week or so.

Where were you banded? Did your doctor's post-op instructions cover any of this?

Hi NRS1,

I'm pretty much where you are. I was banded on May 19th. Today is four-weeks post op. So I am supposed to start real food today. I, too lost about 15-17 lbs. from 2-week pre-op liquid fast and 4-week post op liquids and mushies. My fill is not scheduled until July 10..since I will be on vacation so I really feel like I'm flying "solo." Some restriction would be nice since there are times I wonder where the band is. My frequent reminder, of course, is port discomfort always. Can anyone tell me if this ever REALLY goes away to the point that you don't think about it?

Can anyone tell me if this ever REALLY goes away to the point that you don't think about it?

Yes, I promise. It's always there, and you know it, but it doesn't hurt and it isn't aggravating or distracting. Sometimes I find myself pressing a bit and messing with it, checking on it, making sure it's still there? or whatever. My little port. I like it. It really does get better about the port. And you are just a few short weeks away from being able to tell a big difference.

The post-op instructions were very specific about the liquid and soft food stage. I was also informed that I should avoid eating to the point of discomfort and that vomiting was not good. However, it's very reassuring to discuss this with people who have actually "been there, done that". I'm also still trying to arrange follow up with a surgeon locally, so hopefully that will be soon, within the next few weeks.

Does anyone know if insurance would cover fills, etc if I already have the band? I never discussed WLS with the insurance company before doing this overseas.