Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extra cost for hernia in surgery?

Hi all!

When I had my surgery on 8-20-08, my Dr told me I had a hernia that he had to repair while in surgery. I wasn't surprised, I knew this was common. Well, today I got a bill in the mail for $5200 for the hernia repair! I was a self-pay because insurance (Cigna) gave me the run around for too long. They tried to file the hernia repair with my insurance and they wouldn't cover it, because it was an out of network provider. I'm so frustrated. It took me a long time to save up $15000 I paid for the surgery. I saved up so I wouldn't have to finance it. Now, I'm going to have to finance the hernia repair! Sorry for the rant, I just had to vent. So self payers beware, you may be charged extra if there is a hernia repair involved! :lovechoc:

If you can pay it now (using a credit card or a loan) call and tell them you had no idea there would be an additional charge and tell them you'll pay half right now if they'll consider it paid. Honestly this type of negotiating is often done in medicine. And if you feel squeamish, just think that a short phone call could save you 2600.

I'm so sorry that happened! My doctor told me if they found a hernia during my surgery (also self-pay) that he would just fix it for free because it's only a few stitches.

Try contacting your doctor's office and see if they can settle it up for you!

Actually, littlefroggy has the best idea. Call and tell them he said he'd do it for you and NEVER said a thing about an additional charge. Tell them you feel they should not have charged you. Be nice but firm!

I would look at the paperwork that you signed prior to surgery. If there is nothing in there about extra charges for other things that are done during surgery, you should not have another fee to pay. There should be a stipulation in your contract that would allow your surgeon to charge over what was the originally agreed price. No stipulation for extra fees, no extra charges to be paid

Thanks for all of your ideas, they are good! I will call him on Monday to see what we can settle with. I was so disappointed, but I guess nothing is for free, especially in medicine! I will also have to look at my paperwork and see if I signed anything authorizing any needed "extras". I'm sure they have a loophole for charging fro these kind of things! Thanks again for all of your input!