Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any June 2008 Bandsters?

Hello, I was banded on June 9th 2008 by Dr. Tony Kierath (Perth) and I'd love to hear how others are going who were banded in the same month.

I've lost 17kilos but have been stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks now.

Have problems with pain in the chest through wind and burping. Have tried Gasbusters but made me feel worse. Any remedies out there?:lovechoc:

Hello, I was banded on June 9th 2008 by Dr. Tony Kierath (Perth) and I'd love to hear how others are going who were banded in the same month.

I've lost 17kilos but have been stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks now.

Have problems with pain in the chest through wind and burping. Have tried Gasbusters but made me feel worse. Any remedies out there?:lovechoc:

hi Katy

I am from Perth too, I was banded in jan, not June, but still wanted to say hi, so hi:smile2:. I have lost about 38 kilos now and i do feel great. Don't be down about not losing weight for a while, if you are anything like me, i have weeks where I don't lose and and then bang, a few kilos is gone. Maybe you need a fill, if not, hang in there, I am sure the weight will start to come off again.

I have the same problem as you when it comes to gas, I get bad heartburn too. I am trying to eat more frequently and very slowly, and of course cut back on the wine:wink2:

Good luck xx

Hi Cherry Blue,

Soothing to the soul to know that I'm not the only one out there who slips ups. It's mainly the constant stress for me. I have both elderly parents who have both had knee replacements within the past 5 weeks (Dad is still in hospital) and they're moving in with me. I'm also having to quit my business to be able to care for them which is sad. I'm having such pain in my abdomen right across from the port and such a lot of chest pain through wind and reflux through the night. That stresses me out too because I can't seem to pick up.

Sorry for the "poor me" whinge, feeling somewhat down tonight.:thumbup:

Edited by Katydid

Hi Cherry Blue,

Soothing to the soul to know that I'm not the only one out there who slips ups. It's mainly the constant stress for me. I have both elderly parents who have both had knee replacements within the past 5 weeks (Dad is still in hospital) and they're moving in with me. I'm also having to quit my business to be able to care for them which is sad. I'm having such pain in my abdomen right across from the port and such a lot of chest pain through wind and reflux through the night. That stresses me out too because I can't seem to pick up.

Sorry for the "poor me" whinge, feeling somewhat down tonight.:thumbup:

No need to be sorry katy. You seem like you have alot on your plate, my goodness:mellow: A week after my op in jan, my 2 year old developed a bacteria infection in his hip, he needed surgery and had to wear a hip cast for 3 months. It was such a nightmare, i look back on that now and wonder how i got through it. He is doing well now, thank goodness.

But you definately have alot on you rplate and I can understand you feeling down. Stress is a huge factor and just be careful because I developed a bit of depression a few months after my band. I placed so much preasure on my self and coupled with my son being sick, just all got to me.

If you wantto chat or maybe catch up for a coffee, my email is

kita-blue@live.com.au

Kita :thumbup:

Hi Cherry Blue, I read your reply to Katy Did and see you are from Perth and are about the same age as me. Even though this site is very helpful I would love to speak with someone like yourself you is down the track and is successful. Any chance of being able to email you or talk on phone? Or anyone else from Perth? I am seeing Stephen Watson in October for 1st appt.

Hi Wade.

I would love to chat to you. My email is kita-blue@live.com.au I haven't figured out how to use the private messages yet. But if you email me, we can exchange numbers :-)

I can understand how stressful it is in the beginning, i am certainly glad i am over the worst of it, but I am more than happyto help and be a friend if I can

Kita :-)

Hi Cherry Blue, My computer has been on the blink, wretched thing.

Had a scan done over and around the long scar (had hernias repaired at the same time as the banding) Fluid showed up which may be the cause of the pain. Last time I had the hernias repaired the doc drew 5 syringes of blood from my abdomen over a few weeks. Still can't keep much down but I'm trying. Only lost 1 kilo over the last four weeks. Hope you're doing well.

Hi,

I was banded on the 10th of June 08. Its been a struggle and I have very little restriction. I have managed (through sheer will and determination0 to squeeze off 12 kilos since banding which I find quite pitiful. And it has been really hard work on my behalf.

I have had 2 fills and now have 2ml in an 8ml inamed band. Does it ever really get better, because I am starting to lose hope. Every loss I have had has been through cutting back and starving hunger pains.

I too have aged parents and it is hard sometimes emotionally and physically especially when you are giving up your life and future to care for them... I love my parents but sometimes I miss being able to do what others are doing at my age, it can be hard and lonely.

Hi,

I was banded on the 10th of June 08. Its been a struggle and I have very little restriction. I have managed (through sheer will and determination0 to squeeze off 12 kilos since banding which I find quite pitiful. And it has been really hard work on my behalf.

I have had 2 fills and now have 2ml in an 8ml inamed band. Does it ever really get better, because I am starting to lose hope. Every loss I have had has been through cutting back and starving hunger pains.

I too have aged parents and it is hard sometimes emotionally and physically especially when you are giving up your life and future to care for them... I love my parents but sometimes I miss being able to do what others are doing at my age, it can be hard and lonely.

Pigglet, you have done really well. 12 kilos may not seem like alot, but atleast you know that hose are 12 kilos you will never have to lose again. So keep it up and it does gett better and easier. Try notto make my mistake and get over filled, I was so deprived of nutrients that I got sick and depressed.

keep it up, 12 kilos is great . I was banded in Jan and have lost 43, you will too inno time xx:thumbs_up:

Hi,

Hi pigglet,

Have you had them check to see if your band is holding all Fluid to cause restriction? I remember the doc telling me that sometimes they leak and how they check is they put in the amount and then take it out again to check that it is all there .

I agree with Cherry Blue 12kg is great achievement some people are just naturally slow losers I know I am one of them as all I lost on the Optifast diet was 2kg whereas my husband John lost over 10kg on the Optifast.< /p>

Sam

Hi Pigglet,

I agree with ozscot1, definitely have it checked out. I didn't know how they checked the Fluid until now, good to know.

For the past four weeks I didn't lose a gram and I was not happy at all.

I still throw up a lot especially if I eat red meat but the scales wouldn't budge. Somehow in the last few days I've lost 2kilos and I've done nothing different. I hope it keeps moving.

Try to have time for yourself, I know how hard that is to do but it really is important for your sanity. If you ring Centrelink, they will send you out a Carers information kit to let you know what help is available. I've just received mine but haven't fully gone through it yet. Still clearing My folks house out.

One thing I've discovered that I'm not happy about, is that I can't drink beer anymore. I love a cold beer on a hot day, a cold day too for that matter. I've tried having a stubby on two occassions since I was banded and both times it came up and was all frothy. Not nice. It's as though I'd poured it into a seive and all there was, was froth. So sad.

I can however, handle a bubbly with strawberries slowly. Very nice but I still miss my beer.

Best wishes to all.

Katydid.:rolleyes2:

Edited by Katydid

Hi Katydid

Interesting to hear about the beer. I haven't been banded yet (first appointment next week with Stephen Watson) but I thought I had read somewhere that beer could not be tolerated. I too love a beer on a hot or a cold day. Although I don't drink much beer I feel there is nothing like it. I believe fizzy drinks of most kinds can't be tolerated either.

I am at the stage where I am thinking should I or should I not go ahead with the lapbanding and am still focussing on what I can and can't have to eat/drink. Cherry Blue has very kindly been speaking with me and enthusing about the benefits of the weight loss and I think that that is where I will have to focus my thoughts. It's best not to dwell on what will be lacking in my life after banding but instead to think about the positive health and appearance benefits. A friend of mine who is in AA and who works with addicted people said that what is a priority in my life at the moment will no longer be a priority in my life in the future and I will still be happy. She also said that I will feel so differently about myself that I will be a new person.

Still, reading about getting sick, etc. is making me think twice. However, everyone's different and I won't know until I do it.

Cheers.

Hi Wade,

Good to hear from you. Try not to get turned off by the negative stuff, that's just part of the whole package and it's a total new learning curve.

I was banded on 9th June 08 and I still haven't learnt to eat before I'm starving. This is where I fall down because I just grab anything, a potato pie, Maccas (no chips) or a Hot Dog on the run and because I'm starving, I eat too fast and therefore it comes up again. I am slowly coming to realise that I can no longer eat red meat, or sausages as they wil not stay down no matter what. Grilled fish is great and better for me anyway.

I've gone from a size 22-24 top down to a size 16 and size 18 pants to a size 14. My face is no longer bloated and has lost the "Bullfrog/Toad" look I used to hate,especially my neck. I used to try to hide under big loose clothes and hated going out anywhere. The clothes I wore today, I haven't been able to fit into for four years (lucky they're a classic style) and I have to admit, I felt pretty darn good. I still have a lot to lose but I'm hopeful it will happen. I was an emotional eater, whenever I was sad or going through a bad time, I'd eat just to fill the empty whole inside me.

Oddly enough, the extra weight that put on, made me feel even more down. Now I can't use that escape route anymore I have to look deeper into myself and learn how to adapt to stresses in other more healthy ways. I honestly couldn't have done this without the band. I'd tried every method going and always fail. This was my last chance and it's working. It will for you too.

Best wishes,

Hi Wade,

Good to hear from you. Try not to get turned off by the negative stuff, that's just part of the whole package and it's a total new learning curve.

I was banded on 9th June 08 and I still haven't learnt to eat before I'm starving. This is where I fall down because I just grab anything, a potato pie, Maccas (no chips) or a Hot Dog on the run and because I'm starving, I eat too fast and therefore it comes up again. I am slowly coming to realise that I can no longer eat red meat, or sausages as they wil not stay down no matter what. Grilled fish is great and better for me anyway.

I've gone from a size 22-24 top down to a size 16 and size 18 pants to a size 14. My face is no longer bloated and has lost the "Bullfrog/Toad" look I used to hate,especially my neck. I used to try to hide under big loose clothes and hated going out anywhere. The clothes I wore today, I haven't been able to fit into for four years (lucky they're a classic style) and I have to admit, I felt pretty darn good. I still have a lot to lose but I'm hopeful it will happen. I was an emotional eater, whenever I was sad or going through a bad time, I'd eat just to fill the empty whole inside me.

Oddly enough, the extra weight that put on, made me feel even more down. Now I can't use that escape route anymore I have to look deeper into myself and learn how to adapt to stresses in other more healthy ways. I honestly couldn't have done this without the band. I'd tried every method going and always fail. This was my last chance and it's working. It will for you too.

Best wishes,