Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any June 2008 Bandsters?

Hi Wade,

I agree with Katydid, focus on the good not the bad and as far as eating and drinking go everyone is different. My hubby John got banded on the 17th March and has lost over 40kgs eats most things that he did before the only thing that he can not tolerate is bread he can have a little bit toasted but can not just have a slice of bread and butter. He can still drink beer but, can't take pepsi as he had the frothing at the mouth stage, although he can drink lemon lime bitters (not as fizzy). He can still have pizza now goes for the thin and crispy base and he has not tried to eat a bit of steak . Apart from that the only difference with other things that he eats is his portion size instead of eating two pizza's to himself he can only now manage two slices and he is full.

I was just banded on the 4th September and am at the mushie stage progressing onto solids and so far have not found anything that has disagreed with me yet but, have not tried the soft drink etc maybe a couple of months down the line I might try that but I honestly don't miss it the main thing is to eat slowly as I have always done so, I have not had any problems so far. Unlike John who forgets and shovels the food down with tasting and that is when he pays for it. I make him eat either yogurt or something light when he comes in from work just to take the edge of his appetite until dinner is ready and that has helped him slow down on his eating as he is not starving then.

Sam

Thankyou so much for the advice, I see my doc today for more fill so I am going to ask him to check for a leak... I am probably just paranoid though and want everything to go tooooo fast:wink:

Wade I would have to say that this is the single best thing I have ever done for myself and I also was done in June...but on the 10th and have gone from a size 26 to a size 16.

I lost 20 kilos on the Optifast and have lost 12 since banding and feel amazing.

As far as food choice are concerned I can eat everything, I have no foods or drinks that are barred from me by my band. And hopefully I can keep it that way but just reduce my hunger like other people banded have done.

From what I understand its all in the tweeking of the band to find the sweet spot that works for you...some like to run a tight band where nothing goes down and others like it loose so they are just slightly portioned controlled and can eat larger amounts if they go out or Celebrate.

Me I want somewhere in the middle and if that means half a mil in and a quarter out when I get to the point of 'tweek' then thats what will happen.

I am a red meat person and I have said from the start that I cant live with out it and my doc says I dont have to and is willing to work with my fills to keep it.

You will be fine, this part of the process where you are second guessing your decision is normal and we all did it... it is healthy and it is the mark of an intelligent person.

Good luck..but know that if you choose to be banded you wont be sorry:wink_smile:

Thanks for the encouraging reply, Katydid and well done on your achievements. How much have you lost and how much more do you have to go?

I have been very fearful of the throwing up thing as I hate that more than anything else. Perhaps if I learn from your experience it won't happen to me.

What I can't get my head around is that it is for life, such a long time (hopefully) and I keep thinking that I will never be able to enjoy food again, go out for a meal, etc. However, If I don't have it done I may get bigger and bigger and then I won't be able to live my life to the full anyway. I know I have to just focus on one day at a time and perhaps eating and going out will not be a priority for me in the future.

Cheers.

Hi Ozscot1 and Pigglet

Have just posted a reply to Katydid but had not read your emails yet. Thanks so much. It is so reassuring to know that there are people out there who can eat almost 'normally'. It would be great to continue to eat almost everything but in much smaller portions. I could cope with that.

Yes, I am 'second guessing' as you say and won't know until I have it done. Yet, I was almost about to pull out as I couldn't deal with vomiting - so, your replies have really helped, thanks.

Cheers.

Hi Wade,

Vomiting or Progressive burping as it is called on some of the lapband sites, is nothing to be afraid of, as it lets you know that you've eaten too much or too fast. Today I had a small portion of chicken casserole for lunch. Tiny pieces of chicken and slowly eaten and all is fine.

The band can be removed at a later stage if you want it to be.

I was 112 kilos and am now down to 88.5kilos. That's a loss of 23.5 kilos and people are noticing. I need to get down to 70 kilos. Another 18.5 kilos to go.

I've only had one fill so far. I think I'll have to be more alert and eat earlier so I don't scoff. Everything is go, go, go all the time.

Try not to get discouraged as it will be worth it in the end.

When is your op date?

Thanks, Katydid, I feel better about it now. No op date yet, I am only seeing Stephen Watson for 1st appt next week.

Cheers.

Hi Wade,

Might be an idea to buy yourself a blender if you haven't already got one because most people have to steer clear of solids for a few weeks after the op. It's not that bad and the vegies steamed and pureed are quite tasty. Soups are good too, although not chunky ones for awhile. I even had ice creams and custards in hospital which I thought was unusual but great.

In a few months time you won't even recognise yourself.

Best wishes.

Hi Pigglet,

How did you go with your docters appt? Everything OK?

What a fantastic result you've had, from a size 26 to a size 16 is fabulous. Good on you, even more so because even though you've still felt hungry you have shown control. Congratulations.

Thanks for the advice Katydid. Yes, I love Soups, yogurt, ice cream (but then what don't I love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Still apprehensive but am almost 100% that I'll go ahead. Leaving work to go to the pub now for a beer while I can!

Cheers.

Hi Wade. Hope you are doing well.

I used to be a big beer drinker and I was a bit sad not being able to drink it since banding. I found though that my tastes have changed. i have a southern comfort and coke zero every night. I make sure the coke zero is a bit flat. I have to drink it on an empty stomache, but it does satisfy me.

I drink wine too, I find red wine gives me heartburn but white wine is fine.

I know some people who can still drink beer post op, so you may be able to, just less of it. try not to think too hard as everyone is different.

i am feeling super positive again after having some fill taken out. I can eat normal food, just less of it now. I think its a matter of finding that perfect amount of Fluid......I am sure it will all turn out for you, whever your decision xx:smile2:

Hey Katydid, thanks for asking about my fill. I got my fill and asked if he could check that there were no leaks so he pulled it all out and showed me that it was all there then injected it plus the extra back in.

I feel less hungry now but can still eat everything with no issue. I have to admit though I am eating less at meal times because I am scared to push the limits, I can feel that it has tightened a little and dont want any pain.

I didnt lose any weight according to his scales over the last 6 weeks but my clothes are considerably looser. I can pull my jeans up and down with out undoing them now where they were tight and cutting into my belly 6 weeks ago...so something has happened.

Its a very confusing and interesting journey we have undertaken.. fingers crossed its a good one too.

Hi Cherry Blue

Glad you are feeling optimistic again and that you can eat normally. My greatest fear was about the inability to eat lots of normal foods and the vomiting but, since I wrote that on the site, I have been getting feedback from people that they can eat normally. So that is my last fear gone and I am raring to go! See Stephen Watson on Thursday.

I read a posting on the site about a guy in the US who is not having any fills and Katy Did said she had only one fill. Why do some people have fills and others not?

Cheers.

Hi Pigglet,

glad to hear your fill went well and that you have no leaks.

I'm really not eating much at all anymore. I am taking a Multivitamin tablet once a day and have felt less tired. I notice a lot of people on the US sites drink a lot of Protein Shakes so I might look into that.

Like you, my clothes are feeling loose but I've not lost anymore weight.

Smashed my car on Friday (backed out of the garage forgetting to close the door = distracted by parents having a scrap) not happy at all. I guess I'll get some walking exercise now eh!!! Sob, sob, sob.

I didnt lose any weight according to his scales over the last 6 weeks but my clothes are considerably looser. I can pull my jeans up and down with out undoing them now where they were tight and cutting into my belly 6 weeks ago...so something has happened.

Its a very confusing and interesting journey we have undertaken.. fingers crossed its a good one too.

Hi pigglet,

That is great news about your band not leaking. As for your clothes getting looser but, not showing the weight coming off on the scales this may happen within the next few weeks having a big drop. I know that my weight goes up and down each day, but hey as long as the inches/ cms are coming off that is what counts. I always remember watching this t.v. program in the U.K( why weight) when I stayed there and a girl hardly lost weight but hey the inches came off and the host of the show said at the end of the day you do not go out and buy a 60kg dress for instance you go out and buy as size 8,10,12 etc. That has always stuck with me and I always think off that when I think that I am not losing on the scales. Keep up the good work

Sam

Hi Cherry Blue

Glad you are feeling optimistic again and that you can eat normally. My greatest fear was about the inability to eat lots of normal foods and the vomiting but, since I wrote that on the site, I have been getting feedback from people that they can eat normally. So that is my last fear gone and I am raring to go! See Stephen Watson on Thursday.

I read a posting on the site about a guy in the US who is not having any fills and Katy Did said she had only one fill. Why do some people have fills and others not?

Cheers.

I Wade. i am not sure why we are all so different, it can be very confusing can't it. All I know is that for me, i would rather beable to eat than not, I have to eat solid foods, so I prefer to be underfilled than over filled.

I can pretty much eat anything now, apart from bread and chicken. I can eat really good steak, as long as it is rare and good quality. I had a small one last night, it was heaven.

Good luck on Thursday, I hope it goes well, keep us posted. I didn't have to wait long from my first appointment till op, I think all up it was 5 weeks and I could have gotten in earlier if I wanted to.

good luck again :biggrin: