Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any June 2008 Bandsters?

Hi pigglet, thanx, yes i am experiencing difficulty, not really blockages, more to much, like 2 small baked spuds to much, 4 Teddy Bear buscuits to much, so i tend to just limit myself to a mango for Breakfast, lunch is a cup of my home made vegetable and pumkin Soup, afternoon tea 4 tblspoons yoghut and tea a 1 egg omlette with a piece of cheese or some sauted thing egg noodle with sauce, i a very cotent with this, i have found if i crave meat or chicken i get a small piece and consentrate to chew, then i spit it out, its all trial and error, but its good the weight is dropping, after all this is why we banded to prevent us from eating and a 7ml, it sure has stopped me, i can see it working well, i am glad i got it done now, prior to the last fill, i thought i was wasting my time, how are you going r u banded and if so when and how much have u lost? r u in Australia or oversea? i hope its working for you too, cheers Chris

I am here in Australia.. I go through fits and fads of weightloss... I generally lose weight for the first 2 weeks after a fill then nothing till the next one.

I have lost a total of 35 kilos including Optifast and I have an 8ml band with 3.5 ml in it.

If I dont chew well I get pain but still suffer with hunger and head hunger. I wish I was losing weight faster but I must have a slow metabolism.

I dont think I want anymore fill because of the pain involved in the not chewing enough now I would hate it to be worse... I am not good with pain me thinks

Hi Chris

Welcome to the site. It's a very helpful and supportive place. Good to know that other folk are going through the same things. Well done on the weight loss so far. It must have been very frustrating during the 3 months when you were not losing. But you are on your way now.

I was banded on 10/10 and have lost 6 kgs in the first month. Had my first fill on 7/11 of 3mls and have only dropped one kg since then. Still feeling quite hungry but not eating as much, of course, as before banding. Still not doing the right thing all the time!

Pigglet, I see you have a fill of 3.5mls and have restriction. I have 3mls but not feeling any different. I hope to feel a difference after my next fill. Well done, 35 kgs is great. I think you got banded in June?

Keep on keeping on!

PS Still no word from Katy. Still thinking about you. Hope everything's working out.

Hi Wade, Pigglet,

Thanks for your best wishes and concern.

I had a very rough time in hospital and spent two weeks in there, most of it in isolation as I'd caught a Multi Antibiotic Resistant Organism in the wound. A "staff" infection that is very hard to treat. I even had a gastroenterologist in to see me. Very ill. My veins collapsed so they couldn't put anymore cannulas in... thank goodnes, they were so ruddy painful.

I came home Monday night and have a nurse visit everday as I still have a drain in my abdomen. Feel very weak and get giddy if I stand for too long. The band was emptied before surgery and has not been filled at all yet. I see the surgeon next Wednesday to maybe get the drain out.

Bethesda in Claremeont is a beautiful hospital and I had magnificent views from my large windows of the river and all the boats and yachts sailing around. It was very calming.

It's hard being at home because I feel guilty that I can't look after Mum and Dad and take them to their physio appts etc and Mum hates having to cook. She does not like being around sick people at all and we've already had a few spats.

Sorry for the whinge. Have had to close my business completely. Rotten time of the year to have to do it but had no choice. I'm told I have to take it really easy until at least the new year and evn then follow what I can and can't do so that the hernias don't break through again. That is going to be sooo hard.

Must go back to bed now.

Best wishes.

Hi pigglet, thanx, yes i am experiencing difficulty, not really blockages, more to much, like 2 small baked spuds to much, 4 Teddy Bear buscuits to much, so i tend to just limit myself to a mango for breakfast, lunch is a cup of my home made vegetable and pumkin Soup, afternoon tea 4 tblspoons yoghut and tea a 1 egg omlette with a piece of cheese or some sauted thing egg noodle with sauce, i a very cotent with this, i have found if i crave meat or chicken i get a small piece and consentrate to chew, then i spit it out, its all trial and error, but its good the weight is dropping, after all this is why we banded to prevent us from eating and a 7ml, it sure has stopped me, i can see it working well, i am glad i got it done now, prior to the last fill, i thought i was wasting my time, how are you going r u banded and if so when and how much have u lost? r u in Australia or oversea? i hope its working for you too, cheers Chris

Welcome Chris,

You sure have done well. I never used to like Mangos, mainly because they were so sticky but in the two weeks prior to going into hospital I found I had a real taste for them after all, yum. One of the nurses actually told me of a recipe. One mango, pureed, vodka and topped off with champagne. She says it's magic. Won't be trying it for a while yet though.

Best wishes.:thumbup:

I only have an 8 ml band Wade and at 3ml I had no restriction either it was the last extra half ml that did it. It is starting to wear off a bit now so I was thinking either another 1/4 or 1/2 would do it again for a while.

I lost 3 kilo quickly after that last 1/2 ml fill but the weight has been stagnant for the last few weeks ...dissapointing when that happens but I spose slow is better.

Yes Katy is very quiet, hopefully that means everything is going really well and she is busy getting on with her life.

Drop us a line Katy and let us know how your going

Oh Katy you poor girl! We have been thinking about you and mentioning you here on the site so you know our thoughts were with you. What a lot you have been through. I have been in Bethesda too and know it is a lovely place and you had the best of care. It's great to be home in your own bed but do not attempt to try to do too much. Once again I am offering to do anything that may help you. Or if you need someone to talk to or would like to borrow some books, or need a lift anywhere. Don't know where you are but I live near Highgate/Northbridge. So maybe I could pick you up when you are feeling better and we could have a coffee out somewhere.

I know this is the least of your worries now but - how is the weight going? How do you feel with your band unfilled.

Take care of yourself and thanks for making the effort to get in touch.

Cheers.:)

oh Katy you poor, poor lil sausage! biggest of hugs for you, Oh my goodness how sick you must feel.

Now from one daughter to another!!! Looking after aged parents is never easy and damit they can be particularly selfish and demanding especially the mothers. Make sure that at this time you put yourself first...ignore the matre inspired guilt being foistered onto you and just rest up...

Dont make me come over there and smack your bum you hear!

Get well soon my lil chicket we are all thinking of you.

Oh Katy you poor girl! We have been thinking about you and mentioning you here on the site so you know our thoughts were with you. What a lot you have been through. I have been in Bethesda too and know it is a lovely place and you had the best of care. It's great to be home in your own bed but do not attempt to try to do too much. Once again I am offering to do anything that may help you. Or if you need someone to talk to or would like to borrow some books, or need a lift anywhere. Don't know where you are but I live near Highgate/Northbridge. So maybe I could pick you up when you are feeling better and we could have a coffee out somewhere.

I know this is the least of your worries now but - how is the weight going? How do you feel with your band unfilled.

Take care of yourself and thanks for making the effort to get in touch.

Cheers.:)

Hi Wade,

Thanks again. It's going to take me awhile to pick up this time round. Have to have anaemia, diabeties and 2 separate tests for this bug if I'm up to it early next week. Still get quite giddy.

I've only put on 1 1/2 kilos, so I'm not growling at myself for that. I can eat a lot easier but still know when I've eaten too much. It doesn't come up very much now though which is great. Reflux is still there mainly at night. Gas too but not as painful as it was.

My little (9yrs) Grandaughter is sleeping over tonight and has her heart set on watching a dvd with me tonight. I'll try to sit up but not sure for how long.

Best wishes.:laugh:

oh Katy you poor, poor lil sausage! biggest of hugs for you, Oh my goodness how sick you must feel.

Now from one daughter to another!!! Looking after aged parents is never easy and damit they can be particularly selfish and demanding especially the mothers. Make sure that at this time you put yourself first...ignore the matre inspired guilt being foistered onto you and just rest up...

Dont make me come over there and smack your bum you hear!

Get well soon my lil chicket we are all thinking of you.

Hi Pigglet,

You're a funny bugger. I had to hold my poor tummy to stifle the giggles.

During the last spat with Mum I told her very straighforwardly that.... "I'm sorry I can't do what you want me to do, I feel very guilty as it is but I have to do what I'm told this time round or I will never heal properly and I don't want anymore operations. They're too bloody painful!!"

Today things have been ok, don't know how long it will last but so far so good.

Best wishes.

good to hear that your feeling a little better and also that you are holding your ground with your mum.

The guilt is the biggest killer of all and if your mum is anything like mine ....they know how to use it to their advantage.

I keep telling myself to remember not to do this to my own children some day but it seems to be a common activity of the old.

I was sitting with a friend yesterday haveing a hard earned coffee with her while she sobbed about the difficulties her 80 year old ma is giving her at the moment and how she just cant find the hours in the day to give her the attention she wants while trying to work and take care of her own teens, 4 year old boy and her husband. I had just finished patting her hand when her mobile rang with her mother wanting to know why she hadnt called in to see her that day if she wasnt working.

My friends first reaction was to jump up and leave her half drank cappa, grab her small son and race to her mothers side, she was so worried that her mother was offended and you could see the guilt plastered all over her.

So you see it is universal...we as mums have a nasty power to manipulate, if nothing else praps we can unlearn this habit I spose.

good to hear that your feeling a little better and also that you are holding your ground with your mum.

The guilt is the biggest killer of all and if your mum is anything like mine ....they know how to use it to their advantage.

I keep telling myself to remember not to do this to my own children some day but it seems to be a common activity of the old.

I was sitting with a friend yesterday haveing a hard earned coffee with her while she sobbed about the difficulties her 80 year old ma is giving her at the moment and how she just cant find the hours in the day to give her the attention she wants while trying to work and take care of her own teens, 4 year old boy and her husband. I had just finished patting her hand when her mobile rang with her mother wanting to know why she hadnt called in to see her that day if she wasnt working.

My friends first reaction was to jump up and leave her half drank cappa, grab her small son and race to her mothers side, she was so worried that her mother was offended and you could see the guilt plastered all over her.

So you see it is universal...we as mums have a nasty power to manipulate, if nothing else praps we can unlearn this habit I spose.

Hi Pigglet,

Your poor friend. I know how she feels, burning the candle at both ends, being pulled in every direction and not having time for herself and even if she does, feeling guilty about it.

When I was bringing my girls up, my folks had a bad habit. Whatever they gave me, furniture or money or whatever, they always kept tabs on it. I could never get rid of anything unless I asked them if they wanted it back. It kept me very beholden to them. I swore I would never, ever do that to my girls and I never have. I also told my folks when the girls grew up that if they ever GAVE them anything at all, to let the strings go and give it feely. They were rather shocked but it sank in. I bought my Grandaughter the fortnightly set of Dora the Explorer last year and the other day my daughter said to me that Stephanie doesn't use them anymore so was it ok to sell them and buy something else with the money. I said why ask me? They're Stephanies to do as she pleases, not mine.

I guess it was nice of her to ask but not necessary.

I still have the drain and have it seen to each day. Asked if I could drive to Safety Bay to pick up more of Mum and Dads stuff today and was given a horrified "NO" by the Home Care Nurse.

Are your folks with you? Are they elderly?

How is your weight loss going? I lost a kilo this morning. Have no idea how because I'm doing nothing at all expect resting and have no Fluid in the band. The reflux has eased a lot thank goodness.

Best wishes.:)

Hi Katydid and Piglett

Glad the sickness has passed Katy. You still have a long way to go so good to hear you are resting. Keep it up!

I had an emotionally blackmailing mother too. She also suffered from severe depression so had low self esteem so tried the emotional blackmail thing to see if she could demand love. Not good. She was the main reason I got married young (to escape) and then, when that didn't work, why I left Ireland and came to Perth. She has passed away now.

Keep strong Katy and put yourself first.

Cheers.

yes katey my parents are aged...my mum is 87 and my dad 93.

I got in the Baptist Community Services which are a government funded group who come to their home every day and help mum shower and do their house work, take them to medical appointments and shopping and on outings with their peirs. They come in and cook meals for them to freeze in one serve containers. It supplies them with a medi call pendant as well as free services to have rails etc put through their house.

They have organized for a hair dresser to come to the house and will run erands for them.

This comes at the measly cost of $35 a week the government funds the rest. This all used to be my job and cost me considerably more to do myself. It means my parents can stay independant in their own home.

It was the best thing I ever did and had the choice of about 4 other organisations that offered the same type of service.