Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nearly a year out...where are you with ccs?

I just was curious for comparison's sake. Just got a fill that took me up to 7.3 in a 10cc band. There's a difference with how MUCH I can eat, but not really with how OFTEN. I still get hungry quicker than I think I should. I haven't really tracked the time, it just SEEMS really soon. I guess I'll pay more attention this next time. I'm currently noshing on some rotisserie chicken.< /p>

So....how many ccs in your band and how large is your band? And how is that level of restriction working for you?

Well as you know I've gone back to scratch so I'm now at 3cc in 10cc band. I can't eat as much as I used to but I can eat more often. I can go 3-4 hours without eating depending on what I'm doing.

Steph, when did you get your fill? How much was put in? I just got .25 yesterday which brings me to 7.5 in a 10cc band. I pureed my dinner of chicken with non-fat gravy as I'm supposed to be on liquids today. I can swallow easily, unlike a fill of .5 I got 6 weeks ago when for 10 days, I could barely swallow Water. Now we fill only .25 at a time which I seem able to tolerate.

After eating tonight, I had an unusual feeling of fullness all the way up to my throat. I wasn't stuck, just uncomfortable. It's first feeling more normal after 2 hours. Is that what real restriction feels like? Am I finally at my sweet spot? I hope so. I really would like to get the rest of the weight off faster. I'll see how long before I feel hungry again. Hopefully it will be hours.

I got a fill this past Tuesday. They put in .8 ccs. She put that much in since it's been so long since I've had a fill. I want to say it was back in January, but I can't remember.

I'm getting hungry...or should I say my blood sugar drops...about 2 1/2 hours after eating. *sigh* That's frustrating. Looks like the band is not managing my hypoglycemia or my heartburn anymore. The heartburn came back a couple months ago. It was nice while it lasted, though - I can't complain about the short respite that I DID get.

I don't have much in my band but what I have noticed is that I do get stuck but once that goes away I can eat again. I'm eating a lot more than a banded person should so I'm hoping that when I get to 4 or 5ccs that I should be able to eat much less. I also need to get out of the bad habit of serving bigger portions. If I stick with the 1 cup per meal plan then I would definitely be losing more weight.

Steph, my doc sells these great shakes that have a lot of Protein but are only about 100 calories. They really help to keep my sugar balanced between meals. Any low cal shake would work. GNC sells a lot of them. I also used to be hypoglycemic but my doc said before the surgery that I was pre-diabetic. That can happen with hypoglycemia. It can swing the other way. I have to keep my sugar balanced so I try to keep a shake with me wherever I go.

I also used to have a problem with reflux and heartburn due to a hiatal hernia. It was repaired during the surgery and I was able to come off of my medication which was Nexium. What causes your heartburn? Can you take medication to control it?

Edited by cindyg1212

Steph, my doc sells these great shakes that have a lot of Protein but are only about 100 calories. They really help to keep my sugar balanced between meals. Any low cal shake would work. GNC sells a lot of them. I also used to be hypoglycemic but my doc said before the surgery that I was pre-diabetic. That can happen with hypoglycemia. It can swing the other way. I have to keep my sugar balanced so I try to keep a shake with me wherever I go.

I also used to have a problem with reflux and heartburn due to a hiatal hernia. It was repaired during the surgery and I was able to come of my medication which was Nexium. What causes your heartburn? Can you take medication to control it?

It doesn't really seem to matter what I take in - I still get the major crash. I tried a Slim-Fast shake and an hour later I was feeling a little weak. I don't know if maybe I'll feel better once the bad stuff is out of my system? I don't know. I hope so. Feeling like this makes it hard to want to do anything. I feel pretty good right after I eat and then about an hour later I feel weak. But actual HUNGER sets in at 2 1/2 hours. Weird.

Before I got banded, I had HORRENDOUS heartburn. The stuff was so bad that it got to the point that I didn't even realize I was having it ALL THE TIME. Funny how the body deals with pain. I did the Prilosec thing and it lasted me 9 months without a bit of heartburn. That was pure heaven. Tried the stuff again and it didn't work. After that, I tried every OTC heartburn remedy there is and nothing worked. I did try Nexium once a couple years ago and it worked great. But I don't have insurance yet and that stuff is very pricey. Once I get on insurance, I will definitely look into getting on it. I dread the thought of anymore OTC remedies - they're awful. :lovechoc:

I don't have much in my band but what I have noticed is that I do get stuck but once that goes away I can eat again. I'm eating a lot more than a banded person should so I'm hoping that when I get to 4 or 5ccs that I should be able to eat much less. I also need to get out of the bad habit of serving bigger portions. If I stick with the 1 cup per meal plan then I would definitely be losing more weight.

Awww...take heart, Sades. None of us would be banded right now if we had the willpower to control our portions on our own. Just as somebody said, it's like willing yourself not to sleep - eventually the body WILL take over. Just do what you can and REALLY - when you get that restriction, it makes a HUGE difference. You'll get there soon enough. :lovechoc:

Steph, the only OTC med that helped me with heartburn was liquid Mylanta. It would neutralize the acid as it went down. Gaviscon works for my husband. They all taste like chalk but if it helps, you get used to it. They all come in flavors now like mint and cherry which masks the chalky taste a bit. Nexium was a lifesaver for me. Hope you get your insurance soon. I think you should check with your doc about the hypoglycemia. You shouldn't be getting that weak if you're eating Protein regularly. Is there anything else you can do?

Steph, the only OTC med that helped me with heartburn was liquid Mylanta. It would neutralize the acid as it went down. Gaviscon works for my husband. They all taste like chalk but if it helps, you get used to it. They all come in flavors now like mint and cherry which masks the chalky taste a bit. Nexium was a lifesaver for me. Hope you get your insurance soon. I think you should check with your doc about the hypoglycemia. You shouldn't be getting that weak if you're eating Protein regularly. Is there anything else you can do?

I guess you're right about the hypoglycemia. I just figured it was a fact of life - I've lived with it for so long. But just like the heartburn, after banded, it went away for a bit. The only thing, really, that keeps me from feeling weak is eating carbs. So, I don't know...maybe I'm just cleansing the addiction? We'll see how I feel after 3 days without carbs. Today (Saturday) will be my second day on low-carb. If I still feel like garbage on Monday, then I'm going to have to call the doctor.

Steph, if I eat strictly Protein with no carbs, I get very weak. Complex carbs like fruits and veggies, in moderation, help. Just stay away from the "white" foods like Pasta, white rice, and anything made with flour and sugar. It's those simple carbs that are the weight loss culprits, not complex cards. I tried the Atkins no carb diet once. Nearly fell on my face! Those no carb diets really aren't too healthy. We're made to have a balanced diet of protein, fat, and carbs. You just need to choose the right foods to keep your sugar balanced and your calories down. A nutritionist who is experienced in working with hypoglycemics and diabetics would be very helpful for you.

I have 10 cc's in a 14 cc band. It's been a year and six months since I had surgery. I just got an adjustment 2 weeks ago and now I am getting heartburn. The last time I got heartburn they took out a 1/2 cc and then I came back a month later and they put back the 1/2 ccc and I had no heartburn. They said at 10 cc I am pretty restricted. I definetely can feel it more and even notice wear my band is more noticeable since i have lost more weight.

Ok...I am at 2.25cc's in a 4cc Band. I haven't had a fill since May...I am still a little tight from that fill. Not sure if I am going to get another this month or not. I am finding that because I do have some difficulty eating some meals not all that I revert to slider foods which I shouldn't. It is just sometimes I get tired of having to chew the heck out of the food and feeling the pain when it goes down.

Awww...take heart, Sades. None of us would be banded right now if we had the willpower to control our portions on our own. Just as somebody said, it's like willing yourself not to sleep - eventually the body WILL take over. Just do what you can and REALLY - when you get that restriction, it makes a HUGE difference. You'll get there soon enough. :biggrin:

That's so true Steph. I know I have to be patient but I feel I've had to be patient since November! :thumbup: Anyway, I'm hanging in there and hopefully when I'm down another 20 lbs this will just be a vague memory!! :confused:

It really doesn't matter how much other people have for their fills. I know someone who can't even tolerate .25 of a fill in her 4 cc band. She starts throwing up. Everyone is different. What is important is how your fill is working for you.

Since you asked though, I have 2.75 in a 4cc band and I haven't had a fill since December.