Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

acronym help

Can someone enlighten me and tell me what a 'flouro' fill is? What is the difference between that and a regular fill?

Also, what determines the different size band people get? Why are some people's 10cc's and some 8cc's etc?

I saw on some posts people referencing a 'VV'...what does that mean?

I know there is a post that goes through some of the most common acronyms on this forum but these weren't listed and I am just wondering. I'm new to all this so if anyone knows the answers, please help a sister out.

Thanks! :lol:

This is what I was told about the band. Some people get 10cc and some get 12cc. I have a 10cc band. I was told that I got that band because it was the band that fit me. I was told that after surgery a lot of people get band envy, but there was nothing better or different about it, expect for the fact that it fit me better.

I am glad you asked the other questions. I would like to know the answer to those too! :lol:

A "fluoro" is a fluoroscopy. This is sorta like an x-ray, but instead of capturing a still image, it gives a moving one. Think ultrasound but for this you have to drink a radio-tracker. Some docs use it when you get a fill for two reasons; to ensure that they locate your port correctly and not insert the needle into the tubing, and to watch the rate of flow of the Water you drink during the process so that they can adjust your band accordingly. If the Water slows down too much, they let some saline out, and vice-versa.

The band size is absolutely NOT in the control of the patient. Just like some people have bigger or smaller feet, some people have a bigger or smaller area for the band to go around. On top of that, the sizes available between the Lapband and the Realize band are different. Think British sizes for shoes versus American sizes. I'm not really a shoe gal, the analogies just fit well!

I don't have a clue what a 'VV' is. I'll be interested to find out!

The other person was right the size of the band all is dictated by what fits the patient and what type of band the surgeon is used to using. I personally have a 4cc band and the max fill point is acutually 3.8cc which meant when I got it, it was really tight for a while; bigger the band longer it takes to fill but not a bad thing at all. Not sure what VV stands for. I joined some time ago but have only posted 1 time.

I was banded 12/29/2007 and to date I have lost 108 pounds, I have 50 lbs to go. It take much much mental control and excersing 5 to 6 times a week for 45 mins to an hour each time. I say this as this is what it took for me to loose this much in 8 months.

Not sure what the 'W' is referencing, I haven't seen it myself. It might mean 'wife' like dh is 'dear husband'