Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Proved Poor Tool 4 Me

I havent been able to eat anything healthy either I have lost weight I start out at 326 pounds I am 265 I have lost only 61 pounds since feb 2007 I dont thinkg that is all that great but it something I guess. I went froma 24 to a size 18 some 16 Iam going to see the dr on the 18th I am thinking of getting the bi pass

Hi Nanook. I hope you have been keeping well. We moved about a month ago and everything was chaos. Maybe with things settling down I can at least think about using my band. Wish me luck.

Tina

Good luck Tina,

I'm going to get mine removed but it's not that I didn't give it a try! I wish everyone luck who has it and it's working for it's just not the right tool for me! Take care and hope the chaos clears up, Nancy.:lovechoc:

I havent been able to eat anything healthy either I have lost weight I start out at 326 pounds I am 265 I have lost only 61 pounds since feb 2007 I dont thinkg that is all that great but it something I guess. I went froma 24 to a size 18 some 16 Iam going to see the dr on the 18th I am thinking of getting the bi pass

In my view that is not a bad loss. Not everyone loses that quickly on the band and you haven't started gaining back, as far as I know. Is that what you're afraid of? In my case I never lost the weight except prior to banding so it's not like I was a slow loser. Some people here get so tight they're basically on a crash diet of sorts and that's not what the band is supposed to do for them but that's how they prefer to use it and lose quickly. So talk to your doctor about your issues you're having now. I'd hate to see you go to such extreme measures if it's not necessary, good luck to you Nancy.:lovechoc:

I think its perhaps the biggest drawback of the band, and one which is not really recognised or spoken about but past a certain level of restriction (different for everyone obviously) the band can actually change your eating habits for the worse. Some lucky people can get tight restriction and still eat meat, vegetables and fruit, but I suspect there's at least half who, past a certain fill level start to rely on slider foods. I know I caught myself out at that and the proof is in the pudding, I had fill out, my food intake has DOUBLED to the point where looking around me in the staffroom, my intake is about the same as other normal weight women now, but I havent gained weight. So even on double the amount of food, I've not increased calories -because I've been able to go back to loads of fruit, vegetables, wholegrain bread - all the foods which work to keep my full for hours, instead of yogurt, cheese, crackers, Cookies, chocolate - saturated fat and white sugar products which go down easily but add up to mega calories!

Unfortunately for a few that cut off point comes way too early so that they can not seem to get the restrictive effect of the band without the bad side effects of overtightness.

I'm sorry that its worked out that way for you.

If that were me, I probably still would have thought another surgery too extreme for my BMI of 36, but I dont think I would have mucked around with a band for too long - I wouldnt want to risk my long term health with a very poor diet of barely tolerable foods.

Thanks for getting back with me I felt like I was really doing bad if you read about other peoples weight loss and how I am slower I just want so bad to be under 200 pounds and I am not even close so I feel really discourged and my friend who had bi-pass can eat anything she wants andshe went from 320 pounds to 167 in 2 years so I just keep wondering if I should go that way.

Lana

sloan128@hotmail.com

I too am having quite a challenge with my band.. I have lost 41 pounds since being banded (Nov 07) but it's a very slow lost and most of it was the first 4 months. Now nothing seems to go down and Monday I'm going in again to have more saline removed to see if the burping, and acid reflux will go away. I miss the veggies too and all the other healthful food I used to eat.. I'm not sorry I got it, but I know my case is not the norm, so I'll have to exercise to lose the rest of the weight, which is what I have no time to do.. Kindof a catch 22... I've only made myself throw up 3 times (once last weekend while on vacation) but have nothing to eat that seems to work...

I wonder if you have read the book, "Before and After", by Susan Leach. She has a lot of recipes and suggestions for people who have had WLS. The information is for all kinds of weight loss, not just the band.

I haven't bought the book yet, I am waiting until next month. I don't get banded for 6-8 months, but I want to get eating the recipes now so when the surgery comes I will just be reducing the amounts.

I go to her website to find recipes. I also am trying different Protein powders to supplement my diet- I have a high Protein need and sometimes just get a strong meat craving.

since you aren't getting the band removed for a while, it might not hurt to try the recipes.

mindwing