Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I a candidate for Lap Band surgery?

I am 28 years old and my weight is over 200 lb. To be more exact I weigh 210 lb with a height of 66. I know it's not a healthy weight but at this point I am out of traditional options. I tried all kinds of diets+exercise but nothing works for me. I have back pain, my breasts hurt and I feel constant pain in my heart. I get tired very quickly no matter what I do and I lack energy. I am constantly depressed and exhausted.

I feel so lost and I don't know where to start from. Am I considered a right candidate for a lap band surgery? I know it's a very risky and serious procedure but I want to be healthy and I want to live a long healthy life without the fear of diabetes or other dangerous disease because of my weight.

Should I talk to my health care provider about it? How do I approach her?

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you!

For insurance coverage, at 210 and 66 inches or 5'6 you would have a BMI of 33.9. At this weight you would need to have comorbidities (serious health issues) to be a candidate at BMI's of 35-39.9. Over a BMI of 40 you would qualify. You would have to weigh a minimum of 248 to have a BMI of this level.

If you are a self pay, you could probably find a doctor to do it if you are over a BMI of 35.

If you are paying yourself, you can find some doc to do it at your current weight, I am sure. However, I would say that its probably not the best idea for you. Lapband changes your life forever, it is expensive and a lot of work. It is NOT a magic pill.

Have you ever tried e-diets? I had fantastic weight loss success there at one point, but taking off 40lbs doesnt make that big a difference when you have 160 to lose. For you, that make all the difference you need!!!

Good luck on finding a solution that works just right for you!!!

I feel so lost and I don't know where to start from.

go to a seminar. i think that's the best starting point & you can get many of your questions/concerns addressed.

then call your insurance - find out if they cover WLS, get the exact requirements if they do. every policy is different, some cover those with a low BMI w/comorbids, some make you go on a 6 month diet...get those specifics up front.

i would get the lapband if i were you. your at the age where you know that diets have not worked for you & if they have, maybe the weight came back. the lapband will help for both, loss & the ease of mind of no regain. my BMI was low enough that my insurance did not cover - i went self pay & haven't regretted it for a moment.

good luck to you!!

If you are paying yourself, you can find some doc to do it at your current weight, I am sure. However, I would say that its probably not the best idea for you. Lapband changes your life forever, it is expensive and a lot of work. It is NOT a magic pill.

Have you ever tried e-diets? I had fantastic weight loss success there at one point, but taking off 40lbs doesnt make that big a difference when you have 160 to lose. For you, that make all the difference you need!!!

Good luck on finding a solution that works just right for you!!!

I am very well aware of the fact that Lap band Surgery is not a magic pill. I never perceived it that way in the first place. I know the risks and the seriousness of such an important procedure. I tried lots of diets, even International diets and I get no positive result out of it. Either I gain more or I stagnate.

Thank you for the good wishes.

Edited by EyeOfRa

go to a seminar. i think that's the best starting point & you can get many of your questions/concerns addressed.

then call your insurance - find out if they cover WLS, get the exact requirements if they do. every policy is different, some cover those with a low BMI w/comorbids, some make you go on a 6 month diet...get those specifics up front.

i would get the lapband if i were you. your at the age where you know that diets have not worked for you & if they have, maybe the weight came back. the lapband will help for both, loss & the ease of mind of no regain. my BMI was low enough that my insurance did not cover - i went self pay & haven't regretted it for a moment.

good luck to you!!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I actually feel that I have some hope now. I want to be healthy. I want to live a healthy life without being constantly worried about the diseases that come with obesity.

I have military insurance with TriCare. I'm a dependent of an active duty military member. That's why I am a little bit confused on how to approach my assigned civilian health care provider.

Thank you!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I actually feel that I have some hope now. I want to be healthy. I want to live a healthy life without being constantly worried about the diseases that come with obesity.

I have military insurance with TriCare. I'm a dependent of an active duty military member. That's why I am a little bit confused on how to approach my assigned civilian health care provider.

Thank you!

go to the insurance/financing forum and do a search for TriCare. i've read a bunch that are military family (tricare started covering the lapband i believe in jan) there who have been successful in getting coverage.

taking care of your obesity (and over 30 IS obese) earlier rather than later is a good thing......

all the best,

I feel so lost and I don't know where to start from.

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Oh have I been there.

I have fought my entire life to stay healthy. I have gained and lost 100's of pounds in my 32 years of life fighting with all I have. I was 203 pounds and 5'2". Keep in mind there were times in my adult life I was at a BMI of 40.

At that BMI I did not qualify for my insurance to pay or at best was borderline and would be a fight. My co-morbids were mild. I knew it was only a matter of weeks to balloon up to a BMI of over 40-I was there before. I felt it was just a matter of time anyway. So I stopped trying.

I'm not suggesting this is what you do. I called my mom who has watched me battle this my entire life and she advised me to gain the 20 some pounds I needed to qualify. I did nothing special (other then eating what I wanted). I simply stopped fighting it day and night. By the time I had my scheduled appointment I had ballooned almost 30 pounds. I had no idea I would gain that much. It was stupid and it would have been even stupider if I would have been denied but I would do it again. I wish there would have been a better way to have qualified for my insurance to pay. I am just now back down to 203 pounds going on almost 12 weeks after surgery!

It was amazingly difficult to loose my insurance and surgery center required weight loss after I gained that blasted 28 pounds. I don't feel like I was dishonest with my insurance company it was what I was destined for without this surgery and they would have paid so much more for my co-morbid conditions then they have for the surgery. Wanted to add that most insurance companies require a 5 year history of your weight. I may have had a problem getting all of that but all they really needed was a history from my Primary Dr. and I simply told her my weight history. It was good enough for my insurance.

I have only had one fill (my surgery center is cautious with fills) I get my 2nd fill in 2 weeks. I can then schedule fills every 3 weeks to find my "sweet spot". I had one week where I had was allowed mushie foods after surgery and I think I felt what must have been restriction. It was amazing-no it won't end your emotional eating but wow to not feel hungry all of the time, it was heaven! I had to remind myself to eat. I lost most of my weight during that week and the next when I was allowed full foods as I was still feeling full after a small amount of food. After those blissful 2 weeks I lost that full feeling and I'm doing it without the help of my band but I'm very motivated to maintain my loss and to keep trying until my band kicks in.

I started with a seminar. Be careful with your primary physician or any physician who doesn't specialize in treating obesity. My Cardiologist and Primary Dr. discouraged me from the surgery but when I was able to talk with them about my reason why and was educated on the Lapband (they had felt it was RNY) they both ended up supporting me. I suggest you attend a seminar before you see your Dr., Research online and find a bariatric center in your area that offers a seminar. Ask around and get a feel of what they have to offer. They should also have a support group of some kind, I highly recommend going to a support group!

Good luck on your journey whatever comes.

Edited by Luu2008