Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Givin' up the ice cream

I had a one scoop ice cream cone. I would have been fine if I hadn't passed basin and robbins on my way home from taking care of my grandson. Out of sight, out of mind.

I really need to convince myself that I should not even indulge once a week. Actually, it's been a few weeks since I stopped there. I have heard that freezing low carb slim fast is good. I should try that.

Giving somehting up totally and forever just isn't inmy future. Once a week is a reasonable approach for me, and hey it's a bonus if I do not indulge one week. Maybe next time, just the once scoop without the cone would be a good compromise....then again, why am I telling you, when you are at goal? How rude am I???

Hi guys. Just a quickie update on me and the hubby and a "Way to go!" for all of you. Sounds like everyone is doing well. I was coming here thinking I have to confess again because I had Low Fat sugar free ice cream at the hospital today and I just had sherbet last night. Then I realized that even though it isn't how I'd like it to be and I still am fighting the ice cream fiend, it's so so so much better than it was before we started this thread. So I'm determined to not beat myself up. 2 or 3 days a week instead of 7 days a week is really something to Celebrate. Now I also need to get back on it and banish it for a while.

Hubby is doing a bit better today. They have given him a higher dose of steroids to shrink some of the swelling in his brain around the tumor. They also have figured out what is wrong with the right side of his body. It's not actually numbness and weakness, it's a sensory thing where the brain sends a signal to do something but is not receiving the signal back from the body part involved. So if he looks at his hand he doesn't drop things, if he doesn't look at it he sometimes does. If he gets the visual signal he's able to overcome it for the most part. They want him to do 1-2 weeks in an acute rehab facility to retrain himself and because he needs 24 hours care due to the risk of falling. Now the insurance is saying they won't pay for it so I'm off to fight them. Joy!

Keep on it, we will overcome! And congrats to all of you that are beating the brute addictions.

Another day no icecream...of course I have actually had nothing to "eat" as it was my fill day sooo...clear liquids for me

Oh Ezma, You are such a strong lady. I hope nothing by a full and complete recovery for your husband. I will pray that with the therapy he will be holding things again soon and hanging on without a thought. Hang in their, girl.

Tapshoes- do me a favor, next time you are at the grocery store get some edemame (I think that is how you spell it) They look like flat green Beans. I talked about them before. You steam them in the bag and then pour them in a bowl, pour some salt on them and then pop them out of the shell, the Beans inside are crunchy, you get the salt from your fingertips to make the salty (or I pull them out with my teeth) and they are crunchy. I love them and want to spread my joy. Try them for me, huh? I think you will really like them...plus they are full of Protein. Half a cup (of the beans not with the shells) is 100 calories 3 grams of fat, and 8 g of protein...

Hey thanks for posting that! I bought some awhile ago because someone said they are good, but I wasn't sure what to do with them! I know at a salad bar I go to, they have them there to put in the salad. I wasn't sure what to do with the frozen ones!

Even if I am at goal, I don't stay there for very long. It's a constant battle- up and down. If I eat ice cream like I did in Arizona, I gain 5 lbs. It was so stinkin hot there, I wanted Cold Stone every day. I try to make myself do extra cardio if I had ice cream the day before.

Ezma, you are doing great. If I were going through that, I am sure I would polish off a half a gallon of ice cream in no time. I have this idea that ice cream is a great stress reliever.

If I eat ice cream like I did in Arizona, I gain 5 lbs. It was so stinkin hot there, I wanted Cold Stone every day.

That must be my problem. I'm in Arizona and it is wicked hot here. Luckily Cold Stone is about 10 minutes away so I don't think about it often. That stuff and Hagan Daas is so full of fat and calories and deliciousness. Mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmm - sweet cream or mint with macadamia nuts and Nestle Crackle bar.

Another day no icecream...of course I have actually had nothing to "eat" as it was my fill day sooo...clear liquids for me

Tapshoes- do me a favor, next time you are at the grocery store get some edemame (I think that is how you spell it) They look like flat green Beans. I talked about them before. You steam them in the bag and then pour them in a bowl, pour some salt on them and then pop them out of the shell, the Beans inside are crunchy, you get the salt from your fingertips to make the salty (or I pull them out with my teeth) and they are crunchy. I love them and want to spread my joy. Try them for me, huh? I think you will really like them...plus they are full of Protein. Half a cup (of the beans not with the shells) is 100 calories 3 grams of fat, and 8 g of protein...

In which section of the store would I find these, RSG? I love trying new things, and something to help my nut nuttiness would be great! I really appreciate your support on this. And when I try them, I will let you know.

Ezma - Such strength. You demonstrate great strength in adversity, and I wish you luck with the insurance, and your husband success with the rehab. You ARE doing much better with the icecream...stay away from Cold Stone!!!

Please, don't tell me there is heat somewhere - I have put the down comforter on the bed, am wearing my fall coats, and have the central heat on.....

Taps- They are in the freezer section, usually with or by the veggies.

Oh and another day no icecream for me. I have just been ignoring all the icecream shops we used to go to, turned my nose up at them...it helps that it is cooling off (finally) here. Today was the first day I could wear a long sleeve shirt, but I packed a short sleeve shirt just in case it gets hot in the afternoon which it is prone to do here.

Taps send of the cold down here, I want it to slow this year. I have only seen snow maybe 6 or 7 times my entire life and only 2 times did it ever get to be more than an inch deep anywhere.

I want to build a snow man. A chubby one.

Tap - You will probably love the edamame (ed-a-mommy for those that might wonder how the heck to say it so you can ask where they are - LOL). All it is is the soy nut before they dry roast or fry em, what ever they do to them. We love em here, even my 13 year old son like them. They remind me quite a bit of boiled peanuts if you know what those are. They sell them frozen in the shell and already shelled plus you can also get them at trader joes in the fresh produce section of the store, near the mushrooms I think.

Thanks ladies. Payday is Friday so grocery shopping is on Saturday. I shall be hunting for them!

RSG - When my sister moved to California, her first Xmas she was missing snow so much, they rented a truck, drove to the mountains, filled the truck with snow, drove back to their house, made a snowman, and then watched it melt....her children have seen snow once - when they came to visit their grandmother, and they were so excited they too made little snowpeople - they liked the snow, but not the cold, or having to wear boots and mittens!!!

I used to have to drive quite a ways to get to cold stone when I visit my dad in Arizona. Then they went and built one on his corner.

I hope they never build one here. Dairy Queen blizzards are enough to be resisting regularly.

The good - I restrained myself, and had only 1 serving of the delicious demon nuts on Saturday night, as per my pledge.

The bad - I also had 2 roasted marshmallows. I don't even like them, but sitting around the firepit, it was such a gorgeous evening, crisp cool night, DH got out the m-mallows and the smell of burnt sugar....

The ugly - I was a blob on the weekend; no exercise (other than the usual stuff when you are cooking, cleaning, etc). Not even a walk.

Tap - that wasn't too bad at all. You've been doing so well. Once in a while you have to experience the sugar so you can remember how yucky it makes you feel.

Ready - sounds like I have good company in my misery. I had a couple things that weren't the best choices on Saturday but Sunday was like an out of control sugarfest. I didn't end up with that many calories because I didn't eat too many other things. Oh, now there's something to be proud of - I ate the junk, not the stuff that actually would actually nourish my body.

Gonna put it down here so maybe I will not do it again. I didn't have ice cream yesterday but that's about the only thing I didn't eat. Are you ready for this? It's horrible. I ate 3 small cream puffs, 2 Cookies, a chocolate-covered donut, 6 chocolate truffles and 2 servings of popchips. Wow! That sucks! The healthy food for the day consisted of 1/2 cup 0% fat plain yogurt and 1/2 cup of berries, 1 1/2 cup serving of thai chicken Soup (no noodles, basically chicken broth with chicken breast and some veggies) and about 4 bites of sausage and peppers.