Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Givin' up the ice cream

Yay for you Ezma. I broke down and had Cookies and cream last night.

No cigarette though.

I do think cell phones, blue tooths, just all the chemicals and waves in the air have something to do with it. But I don't know.

Stay strong Ezma.

I always wonder if cancer was always around but undetected, or if it has been recent with all the "waves" of technology. I dunno. I hate it.

80% of the deaths in my family since I was a kid was due to cancer. I remember my dad had lung cancer (brought on by his smoking - RSG, way to go w/no ciggies!) But, it just spread so quickly. My aunt right now is fighting it and has been for 10 years. She's so strong.

Ugg! Cancer sucks. (Do they have a bumper sticker that says that?)

On a positive note...no ice cream. Though, I did joke that we needed to buy some so that we *had* to eat it when the electricity goes out.

Even DH didn't buy that one.

Ezma - way to resist! yeah!!!

RSG - you are trying to quit 2 things at once - that cannot be easy. So, yeah on not having the cig. Today is another day

Glou - yeah to hubby for failing to buy that pathetic reasoning.:)

SNT - you are a funny one! The inclination is more to sabottage my co-worker's stability ball, but I resist. She is one skinny toned muscle ...in some ways I envy her commitment and her body, but more often I just wish she'd keep her skinny butt out of my sight.

Another nut free night for me...only 2 more sleeps until I can savor the flavor of whole dry-roasted almonds...not that I'm counting or anything:w00t:

Tap - You're a great chair. I wonderful inspiration. You're gonna be the first one to make it a whole week. Yay you!!!!

Glou - Way to go! LOL to you again. Dang hubbys, always ruining the fun.

Ready - You're doing so well on the smoking thing. That's 10 kajillion times harder than the ice cream. Best part is you're thru the really, really hard part. Just don't let yourself get relaxed about it and you'll be fine now.

SNT - How'd you do? Sending resist-temptation waves your way. Hell, I'm gonna send them everywhere and hope they engulf me too.

I did have a pretty big addiction for chic fil a's hand spun chocolate shakes. I would get one at least 4 times a week, then I read the calorie intake on those, which is like 800 calories and freaked out! I haven't had any in over a month, but now I get one venti hazelnut latte' with a shot of Protein at least every day. I was a little concerned about the fat and all that, but it has 21 g. of Protein and I think online it said it was 350 calories. So, that's not bad really. I usually have it for Breakfast or my mid afternoon snack right after work.

As for icecream, I have a bucket of coffee icecream in my freezer and I allow myself like 4 spoonfulls every day or every other day. I don't think it's a big deal. Like I always say, I want to have a pretty normal life. Normal people eat icecream. But, if you are sitting down eating half the carton then yeah, there is an issue.

I thought I was just more aware of it now and that was why I thought there seemed to be more. Guess not. We know of 3 people with brain cancer now and before knew none. My husband thinks it's the Bluetooth devices. Could be that or the artificial sweetners. I really don't know and wish I did.

By the way, I made it thru another night without the ice cream. Yay!

I just found about the first person I've known with brain cancer. A friend's bf's mother (confusing enough?) was just diagnosed with it. She doesn't seem the type to use Bluetooth but I have no idea about artificial sweeteners. I guess I should back off the damn Diet Coke, huh? (sigh) Oh, btw, I'm still pre-banded!

Cool Crystal - I agree that all things in moderation is the right approach. The challenge for me and nuts...no moderation. My head does not recognize moderation for that food substance, hence the embargo. If I were to use the equivalent ice cream example, my inital few spoonfuls would see the spoon size getting bigger and bigger and heaped higher and higher...until it was an ice-cream scoop I would be shovelling in! And then before you know it, one tub of ice-cream would be gone!

I made it through another nutless night...only 1 more to go. Which shall it be tomorrow - almonds, pistachios, pecans ?? :unsure::drool:

OK - RSG, Ezma, Glou - how did you do?

I agree with you Tap. My spoons of ice cream would have become scoops too and basically did. Most stuff I can eat and move on, no problem. Not so with that frozen, creamy deliciousness.

Anyway, day 3 down for me. Feels good to be on the right track again. And even if I don't make it 7 days (which I will this time!), I've still cut way down from every night. Yay!

You should get a chip/coin thingy Tap. You're 7 day chip. hehehe

Way to go Ezma! The weekend is always the challenging time for me so I won't look for a 'chip' too soon! But I just HAVE to break this stupid annoying pesky demoralizing traumatizing rotten stinking hateful terrible hurtful stupid intractable plateau!

Tap, I don't want to feed your nut addiction, but I found 100 calorie almond packs at Walgreens. I, too, love almonds. I bought a large container and weighed out servings and bagged them so I wouldn't eat too many at a time. The 100 cal packs are perfect too.

I've been on a mission to find all the low-cal, small serving versions of my favorite things so I can eat them and not feel guilty. I have a problem with large packages--I just can't stop. I know this, so I just don't buy them.

SNT - you are a funny one! The inclination is more to sabottage my co-worker's stability ball, but I resist. She is one skinny toned muscle ...in some ways I envy her commitment and her body, but more often I just wish she'd keep her skinny butt out of my sight.

I understand, tap. A close gf just did an IronMan. She was fighting to stay above 100. Oh dear god, bite me! We went to Cheesecake Factory last night for my bday (9/12) and she got a big salad w/ low fat dressing. LOW FAT DRESSING? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So then she goes into how she's not that small. I said, "E, there aren't women your size." She disagrees. Later she tells me that she hates shopping b/c.....get ready for it....she can't find clothes her size! HELLO! I said, "Um I can find clothes my big-ass size. You just made my point!!!" I think she wanted to hit me! Hee hee. I do worry about her but that's her row to hoe. <shrug>

And PS - I'm envisioning a game of "keep away" with that stability ball!!!

How are you guys coming along? I did well this last week over all. I did eat ice cream last night but it was intentional. I had decided that Saturday would be my ice cream night so I went ahead and had some last night. I've been okay since banishing the mint chips from the house. Guess it's not ice cream itself that I'm addicted to, it's the stupid mint.

Tap - How were the nuts? And how is that one week chip? I have faith you made it.

SNT, Ready and Glou - You guys hanging in there? Doing well?

I was such a bum yesterday. I took the LONGEST afternoon nap - what a bum!

And oopsies, didn't realize I'd used your exact same ticker for my days til surgery, Ezma....going to change!

No worries. Doesn't bother me at all. Bound to happen with limited choices. :smile:

Right now a nap sounds sooooooo good. Just might do it too.

Way to go Ezma - icecream as planned, in moderation. If it is the mint that's your trigger, I hope you have banished creme de menthe from the liquor cabinet as well, otherwise I can see a drizzle of that on the ice cream!

SNT - skinny friends/co-workers can be SUCH a pain! BTW- Belated birthday greetings! Napping in the afternoon is not a bad thing; it is a healthy thing - as long as it doesn't interfere with your sleep at night.

RSG - how did you do with your double addiction battles?

Glou - Yoo hoo? How did you do?

As for me, I made it through the entire weekend nut free! I had fully intended to enjoy my Sat portion, but then got busy doing some Xmas crafts, and just plain forgot! Then Sunday I said, nope, Saturday is my day, and I missed it, so I do without. (Let's see how long THAT lasts!).