Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Meat?

Surgery is scheduled for Thursday Sept 11th. (Hope that is a LUCKY day for me) with Dr Carson Liu in Los Angeles.

Like many others, the Dr has given me the choice of bands.

The Dr mentioned that some Lap Band patients have difficulty eating chicken and turkey.

The Lapband.com website also mentions "some patients have difficulty eating meat".

Do any of you lap-banders out there have a problem getting chicken or turkey down?

I would love your input in my effort to pick the right band - THANKS!:crying:

Hi Catherine ~

I have no problems with chicken (not much of a turkey eater) ... the only meat I can no longer eat is steak. I was a steak & potatoes girl too :tt2:

Gladly trade it to be skinny though :thumbup:

Congrats on your upcoming surgery and best of luck on your Lap Band journey! :smile2:

So far, I have noy had any problems with any meat. I have tried turjey, chicken, shrimp, beef - even s couple of bites of s;iced brisket. No problem.

Just eat it in small bites, and chew well.

Everyone is different and the changes you experience will not be like mine. Also, time improves everything so if you can't eat something 6 weeks out you will want to try it again, say in 6 months.

The list of what you can not eat will be small compared to all you will gain. Good luck

After a lot of trial and error, I have found that it's white meat turkey and chicken that gives me fits. It tends to be more dry and fiberous. I just can't seem to chew it to the right consistancy. This is not 100% of the time, but enough to make me avoid it. I will attempt it in a pinch. I just have to be careful. I've only PB twice in 9 months and once was on chicken. The sliming has happened several times from chicken. but not every time.....I have no problem what so ever with dark meat. I do great with a steak or a lamb chop, but it has to be medium rare. If it's overcooked, I can't chew it. It wads up in a ball and I want to gag. You just have to experiment. Like I said. Trial and error.

catherine,

I was always a steak and taters kind of girl, and now I find myself practically a vegatarian. The only kind of meat I dont have trouble with is ground beef. and that is in limited quanities. I had the surgery at the end of May'08. When I'm in the supermarket I pass by the meat Dept without a second thought. It's become second nature to me to live on hummus, canned tuna, cottage cheese; yogurts; canned chicken & various cheeses.

Like others have said to you, what we give up is minimal to what we gain.

Good luck.

steph

I find that I can eat anything (I mean anything) as long as I chew it well and my band is pretty tight. When something feels like its going to come back up I usually will take a drink and it seems to pass through the band with minimal discomfort..