Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

going for my 5 week check up--1st fill

Yea, so I'm going to the doctors office in a few minutes for my first fill-5 weeks after surgery. I'm really discouraged because I think I've gained 2-4 lbs. depending on the difference in their scales and mine. I know they don't necessarily expect you to lose much during that time (because I think the band is basically empty until first fill after surgery?)

I honestly have tried to follow the doctors instructions, ate the right foods, 6 small meals (healthy in between also) and walked 2-4 miles 3-4 times a week. But I think the problem is portion sizes. I eat almost the same size portions as before surgery. Willpower is not a virtue of mine. I don't think I will notice much after the first two or even maybe three fills, or at least from reading these boards. I guess what I would like is for someone who felt like me, to tell me it does get better! As I have heard others say....if I had willpower to stop when I should, I wouldn't have needed the band. Please tell me it gets better. I do have the realize band.:crying:

I go in two weeks for my fill...let me know how you made out, please. I do the same I use a small dish but while I am cooking I am eating , picking I should say and that's eating. Then I put my food on a small plate and eat. I also eat too fast and burp allot. I hope I didn't damage my band. Keep me posted on how it went

Lisa

I honestly have tried to follow the doctors instructions, ate the right foods, 6 small meals (healthy in between also) and walked 2-4 miles 3-4 times a week. But I think the problem is portion sizes. I eat almost the same size portions as before surgery. Willpower is not a virtue of mine. I don't think I will notice much after the first two or even maybe three fills, or at least from reading these boards. I guess what I would like is for someone who felt like me, to tell me it does get better! As I have heard others say....if I had willpower to stop when I should, I wouldn't have needed the band. Please tell me it gets better. I do have the realize band.:lol:

I go for my first fill 2morrow. You get to have 6 small meals a day? Wow, I only get 3 a day.

Sassymama,

Actually, it's three small meals and 3 Snacks (referred to as mini meals), the idea behind that is to keep your blood sugar at an even level, therefore preventing hunger. When your blood sugar spikes and then drops (like after a sugar or carb overload), the end result is hunger.So my surgeon reccommends we eat every three hours example: Breakfast, scrambled egg whites, a piece of canadian bacon ....mini meal 3 hrs. later:string cheese (protein)....Lunch south beach wrap and a piece of fruit....3 hours later mini meal: 1/2 cup cottage cheese with 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce...Supper 3 oz. Protein, veggie, small carb...3 hours later....you get the picture. This prevents hunger/overeating..

Hey Angie,

You know, it's weird how all surgeons do the same thing and all have different guidelines. My surgeon says only 3 small meals (im on phase 3 right now and can only have 2-3 ounces per meal) 3 times a day. No snacking between meals. I wonder why they all have such different guidelines when they all do the same exact thing?

When I go for my fill 2morrow, I am going to find out why just about everyone else gets to eat the Snacks and I dont. I think eating the small Snacks between meals would really help with the mood swings I am having and the hunger that I am always having.