Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting prepared ahead of time?

hello!

i was thinking, once i have the consulation and find out its very possible to get the operation. i should start buying things little by little to be prepaired for the liquid diets, Protein and other foods i will need.

is there a grocery list post anywhere that i can print?

like where to buy the protein bullets and powders. types of food.< /p>

and is it possible not to have to buy this stuff on line?

thanks

susan

The products to use vary so much from doctor to doctor. What someone here uses/used may not be what your doctor wants you to use. For example, some people were told to use Slim Fast but I was specifically told no Slim Fast and nothing that says "meal replacement". My dietician went over exactly what I should eat and gave a list of various products and where to get them. I haven't had to make any online purchases.

I currently buy my Protein supplements at Vitamin Shoppe. Many of your grocery stores carry premixed shakes and stores like Walmart have the powders too. The products use different types of Protein forms and the content varies so you need to check with your surgeon for his specific guidelines.

Yes, you will need some type of Protein Drinks, Soup (clear broth and then creamy for full liquid stage), and sf Jello to start. Also for Protein consumption, I found the New Whey bullets (42g) to be easy to get down. Each one is only 3 oz. You can drink it by itself (kinda thick, tart taste, but not bad), or I have heard of people mixing it with sf tropical punch. GOOD LUCK!

Unfortunately yes, it does vary greatly from dr to dr. Its hard to know exactly what you will need, but when you start seeing your surgeon you should be able to get some kind of guideline from him.

Personally, I have been shopping at GNC because I like the Isopure drinks. Ive never been good with the chocolate shakes, so thats what I have been buying. Some doc's dont like Isopure at all, and for the first week after surgery my doc wants me having Carnation Instant Breakfast, which is a no no with other docs as well.

You should not HAVE to buy your Protein online. All kinds of places sell it in its different varieties - you just need to figure out what your doc wants you on first.

Im sorry I can't be more help, but I found that when I tried to stock up before I knew what my doc wanted I bought some of the wrong stuff - Im trying to be more cautious about getting it right these days!

ok, that sounds about right to me, i just don't have a lot of money to spend at one time. so i will for now buy the sf jellos and broths. and i have been trying to get used to the fat free and sugar free stuff little by little, i will kick that up a notch, so i'm not in shock when the time comes.

i'll try a couple of Protein drinks just to see what they taste like.

i just wish i had an idea of how much "out of pocket money" i will need. i may be getting laid off from my job soon.

thanks a bunch!

Susan

I liked the Isopure drinks as well (or shall we say I didn't dislike them greatly). You won't need to do much shopping ahead of time so it is OK to do it closer to surgery once you have your doctors list. One thing I would do is see if you can start getting samples of different kinds of Protein shakes so you can see what tastes tolerable for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is quantity. I bought too much and I still have Protein shake leftovers six months later. Buy smaller amounts to make sure you like them and can use them.