Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Milton Owens - Dr Milton Owens vs St Joseph's Hospital in Orange

Does anyone have any experience with either Dr Milton Owens in Southern California (San Diego, San Pedro, Torrance, Hawaiian Gardens, etc.) or the Bariatric group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Orange, California? I had a hard time finding a nutritionist and psychologist that Dr. Owens' staff is asking me to find, especially those that might be familiar with Lap Band surgery. So I searched hospitals that are covered by my insurance and found St. Joseph's. I sent them an email requesting information, but it was the end of the day and I haven't heard back yet (didn't expect to). Dr. Owens' office didn't give me any referrals for a nutritionist or psychologist, which I found odd, and they didn't tell me which form they would need to fill out to get me approved for the surgery. Is it a standard form? Or maybe I misunderstood Dr. Owens' office and I'll get the forms when they send me the patient information packet.

Anyway, I'm in South Los Angeles County, almost Orange County, and would probably see either Dr. Owens in Orange or someone unknown at the Bariatric program at St. Joseph's. One difference is that I believe St. Joseph's would be covered at 90% and Dr. Owens is covered at 70% by my insurance. But the money is not as important as the doctor-patient experience.

Many thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Deana

Im in santa barbara area and my psy eval was cake. I paid $150 cash and he was simple. 30 min and we were done. Ive heard many horror stories about different tests and expensive evaluations that these psy dr.s do that take hours and they all want their money up front. if you want the # of the guy who did mine im sure he wouldnt mind doing yours if you drove down here. let me know.

I got banded by Dr. Owens on 3/27/2009 smooth procedure very little pain. Dr Owens is a very nice man. From reading some of the horror stories on this site I was terrified. But it was so easy and went back to work 3 days after surgery.

Yes, Dr. Owens is a terrific surgeon and a very patient and knowledgeable person. You want someone like him on your side. I've had three fills and am extremely pleased with Dr. Owens and his experience. Now that I've been banded (10/20/08), I would recommend him to anyone. Thanks everyone!

how does someone get a Dr to privide this procedure, i called one of those numbers on the radio, i think top surgeons or the weightlooscenters number and they gave me a consult date but as the day is closer i did some research of that Dr and seemed to not have a goo rep so i canceled and now i am wondering instead of having someone 800 number do the leg work ot get this set up for me, can i do it or will i still need to call someone to refer me to Dr Milton.

My primary care physician (PCP) recommended Dr. Owens and gave me a referral. In fact, he said that in his experience, Dr. Owens had the best satisfaction rate among all his patients. Now that I'm almost 8 months out from the surgery, I'd have to agree! Have your PCP refer you to Dr. Owens, or call his office and see what they recommend.