Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Devastated!

My insurance doesn't cover the surgery, and i have horrible credit. It looks like i dont have the means to get this surgery done. I am so disappointed, i feel like my world just came crashing down.

Did this happen to anybody? Any suggestions?

I was in the same boat back in February. Is there anyone that could co-sign for you? The medical finance companies will allow co-signers. Also, the interest rate at those places isn't great so if you can find a co-signer you might contact a credit union or regular bank.

My DH was in a terrible wreck in 2006 and we just got the settlement...that's how I'm paying for surgery.

I was in the same boat too! But my blessing came by way of my employer changing insurance companies. How many insurance options does your employer offer. My employer drop their contract with my old insurance company so I was forced with the new insurance company. I went in for my annual checkup and my doctor finally saw the light and approved the Lap band I called my new insurance company to ask if they would cover they say that they did but of course I had to medically meet certain guidelines and of course they made me jump through loopes. But the whole process took me a matter of three months. I don't know if this helps.:thumbup:

Start saving your money. The surgery is about the price of a new compact car. Maybe by the time you have some money saved up your credit will improve and you won't have to finance the whole thing. Improve your credit by making your payments on time. Even a little slip will put a mark on your credit report. Good luck! :thumbup:

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem Rachel. I don't know your story, but I wrote a letter to some members of my family that I felt might be able to help me out. They know the battle that I have had with my weight. I told them about my decision and explained the band to them. I also told them that I want to be healthier, live longer, and improve the quality of my life. None of them are wealthy, but they have found ways to help me. I have to make 7 round trips (750 miles) for my surgery and follow up visits.... my brother has lots of frequent flyer miles so he has donated some flights, my mother and my daughter and son in law are going to pay for my surgery, and my sister works for the Hilton hotel chain, so she got me a great deal on my room in Houston. I KNOW that I am very blessed and not everyone has a family like mine. I kinda feel like I have "sponsers" now and I will work extra hard to make them happy that they donated to such a worthy, wonderful cause. I wish you all the luck in the world and I am here if you just need to talk. Becky

Edited by MissBS

I am so sorry about how you are feeling right now. I know exactly how you feel. Ten years ago I wanted bypass surgery and was denied by my insurance company. I did everything...jumped through all their hoops, saw a psychologist...even had a face to face at the BC/BS office. Still they said NO!!! I was so devastated..if someone even brought up the subject for the next 6 months or so, I would cry. The surgery was running 50K at the time, so there was not even a possibility of self-pay.

I know someone suggested getting a cosigner for a loan, that is the suggestion I would make too. Though I did not go to Mexico, I have heard lots of good things about having surgery there (I was self pay here in CO..it was 9K) If you can beg, borrow or steal (just kidding on that one) the money it may be something to consider... the prices are significantly lower.