Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Miles or Schmitt?

Hi Alabama People-

I know this is going to be an odd question but I am trying to decide on Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt for surgery. Do you mind offering first-hand experiences with both? Thanks so much-:)

dr. miles is my surgern. i went to both of there siminars(sp). and i felt like dr.miles was for me. but both of them are great doctors. they both have done great jobs and well over 450 weight loss sugerys. so you would be in great hands with either one. go with who you feel best with. dr. miles was the first one in state of alabama to do a lap band sugery. go and see both of them is waht im trying to tell you. then you can see which ones you like the best.

jason r

Hi, I am using Dr. Miles. I have heard things about Schmitt (personally)that made me very wary.:thumbup: I'm not saying that I believe everything I hear from a friend of a friend but to me Dr. Miles seems so much more professional. I go for my pre op with him on Friday and I will let you know how it goes...

I agree. We are on here to help each other and give support; if you have heard something it is helpful to let us know. Although lap band surgery is considered minimal surgery, it is still surgery, none the less. I asked this specific question because I intially thought I would use Schmitt, but after reading comments made on here by patients over the past months, I am beginning to wonder if I should use Miles. Your honest opinion would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

Well i'm not going to say what I heard exactly because you never know if these things are true or not when you hear them from someone but it was nothing about him professionally. This was stuff about him personally. Now professionally I have heard nothing but good things about him... I talked to this girl the other day that used him for GBP and she raved about him. I dunno...I really like Dr. Miles though :P...I did meet with him yesterday for my pre op and he was very nice and answered all my questions. I was undecided about which band I wanted but he recommended the Realize band because it takes less time to put it in. About 25-35 minutes compared to about 50 with the Lap Band. Of course the less time you're under the better. I also went for my pre op testing, and I didn't know what they were going to be doing so I was nervous about it but all they did was take about 3 tubes of blood, do an EKG, I had to give a urine sample, and the nurse did an interview about current meds, family history, past problems, etc. So far I'm a go for Thursday... I am so excited! :lovechoc:

If you already chose Dr. Schmitt, you did for a reason, so don't let me change your mind, it could all just be rumors...

Dr. Miles was my surgeon and he handled all of my questions and concerns great. He was hosting the seminar when I went so I felt comfortable with him. Dr. Schmitt took my staples out bc Miles wasn't working that day. He was very nice and also addressed my concerns at that appointment. I think you're perfectly safe with either!

I am concerned with their professional status... their personal life is not my business. I have grown up in a small area and have known all of my doctors since I was a young girl or someone I knew has know them as I have grown older.. so, it is a new thing for me to go to a doctor that is not know by anyone I personally know.. that is why I asked. I appreciate everyone's comments.. thanks!