Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I could use a Buddy/Mentor

Hi I am a new Lap Bander, I was banded on August 7th, 2008, so far I am doing well, getting nervous because I am going into eating "real foods". It's been comfortable eating liquids and soft foods for 4 weeks. Now is crunch time. I am almost afraid to eat anything.

:tongue2:I would like a buddy near my own age of 60, other than that I am married, swell guy who is very supportive, have one grown daughter and one new 4 month old granddaughter who I adore. We have 2 rescue Golden Retrievers, and 3 rescue cats.

We live about 15 miles north of Boston and I was banded at Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA

Any help getting over my fear of eating would be appreciated. Also this is wonderful idea so that if we get discouraged we can go to someone who knows what is happening and can support us and answer questions no matter how silly some may seem.

Thanks again and look forward to having a buddy/mentor.

Pati

Hi - Let's buddy up - I'm 57 - and have been banded for two and a half years. I need someone to motivate me.

Hey thanks, how have you done being banded for 2 years and more? I am so new to it. I am pleased so far. I can think that after a few years it's old hat. Do you get discouraged, have you lost as much as you wanted to?

I am being pretty realistic I think. My best weight ever was around 120. So 10 lbs. over that would be good. At my age.

Do you find it harder to lose when your up there in age? I am amazed at so many very young women being banded.

Where do you live? How may kids and does your family support you?

thanks for being a buddy

Pati:tongue2::thumbup::tongue2::mellow:

Hi Pati,

Shamrock Girl? Are you Irish? Have you been to Ireland? I've been - beautiful country. Anyway, my name is Kerry. I live in Colorado - I have been married for 37 years. I got banded in Belgium a few years ago and lost about 55 pounds. I have only lost about 10 pounds this past year. I do throw up sometimes - lots of Soups for me. I still cannot eat fresh vegetables or breads very easily. I have two kids that are grown - now days no one pays much attention to me having a lap band. My husband is always trying to find tasty foods for me that I can drink instead of chew. What are your problems that you have had so far? I still would like to lose 50 pounds - a long way to go. How about you? Hope to hear from you soon. Your friend, Kerry

Kerry I have been to Ireland two times in 2000 and last year I was there at this time. It's so very beautiful. I went with my daughter and friend the first time and went with the same friend last year. I hope to get my husband to go at some time. He hates to fly.

I am of mostly Irish ancestry. And my daughter's name is Erin LOL

So far I am not having any problems eating. I had my first solid food last night and did well. We have a great weight loss center at my hospital/Clinic and it has tons of support including Lap Band support groups and also a nurse practitioner and a nutritionist.

It sounds like you band my be too tight if you can't eat solid foods by now. Do you have someone to go too in CO for your band fills?

I am off to my new Breakfast of scrambled eggbeater and an oz of fat free cheese ....yummy, after 5 weeks of mostly liquid diet I am very happy to eat food again.

I hope you can get back onto the lap bandwagon and lose the weight you want to lose now.

take care and check my photos, my before one was taken in Ireland last September.

Pati

Hi Pati,

I am happy to hear that you have been to Ireland - didn't you just love it? I moved to Europe in 2000 and went to Ireland four or five times the first year I was there. My name Kerry - is after the county that my Mother's family came from in Ireland - so, of course, I had to go there to see the county. It was fantastic. My daughter was going to be Erin but..... we ended up with Katie instead - still Irish.

About the lapband - well, it was too tight last year after a fill here in the US - but I ended up having it loosened and it was fine after that. I can eat solid foods, but no breads or raw vegetables - they get stuck every time. I have learned to s-l-o-w down when I eat and chew, chew, chew. I can eat steak if it is cut up very small and ice cream is easy to eat - of course! Greasy foods give me heartburn and spicey foods are off limits. I recently moved back to the US after living overseas for 32 years, so I need to get a routine started. I am looking for work, but am actually off to Europe in a month for two weeks to go with two of my sisters on a vacation. My husband is a school principal here in Colorado. Take good care and my one word of advice is exercise!!!!!

Kerry

Kerrijean, I finally broke the 200 lb. mark...this morning. I am so happy. So far no real restrictions, just minding what I eat and sticking to the diet my nutritionist gave me. I don't want to froth or vomit at all. Yucky. I have my first file September 19th. My hospital has a whole weight loss clinic which is awesome. It took 6 months for me to go through all of it. Classes in nutrition, and 4 meeting with a group and the shrink to discuss why and how we overeat and how to not continue to do so. Very enlightening I must say. Continued support for a long time, and group lap band meetings every month. But I am still a bit fearful of eating. I wonder if anyone with the lap band has become anorexic? I doubt that will be a problem for me. I do love food and have to change my mindset about it. food is fuel. Enjoy it but don't obsess about it. I keep telling myself that over and over LOL.

Wow living in Europe must have been awesome. Yes I adored Ireland, and my family is from a little town in Cork called Dunmanway. My Mother was a McCarthy/Donegan. So she is all Irish. My father was half Irish and half old New England Yankee from the Mayflower.

When I got back from Ireland last year I took up Scrap booking. Love it.

Made a 45 page one of my Irish trip. It came out so good. Just finished one dedicated to my late Mother, and now working on Book One for my new granddaughter Christina Aileena (Aileen is Irish for noble). She is the love of my life.

How does it feel living in the states now? Different and much changed from 32 years ago. Where are you going in Europe? I still would love to visit Paris and Rome. Maybe some day. Are you children here in the states also. How old are they and boy girl or girl girl. ? Take care. Thanks for the support and information.

Pati

Edited by Shamrockgirl60

Hi, have not forgotten you. My computer died the past week and I had the repair person download all my photos to a separate little hard drive.

I got a new computer this week. A nice fast Dell with lots of memory and a kicking hard drive and 22 inch widescreen. Just love it. Can't believe it's so fast. My old one was 7 years old. And a dinosaur.

My granddaughter turned 4 months this week, she's getting cuter and smarter by the day.

Hey sorry I have not posted it's been crazy around here, having a new septic system put in and my front yard looks like a battle ground. Check my photos LOL.

How are you doing. I am doing great, thought I had gained a few pounds this week because I ate more than I have been, for some reason the cool weather makes my very hungry for carbs and stuff LOL

I am making beef stew in my crock pot today. I use lean beef and lots of veggies. Yummy

Busy with my granddaughter, I watch her 3 days a week with hubby, since they live downstairs it's great. We love to take her for car rides and visiting. Going leaf peeping today....it's fall here and lovely.

How are you doing?

Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Pati