Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What comes pre-op...???

Have read about the "sleep Lab" required for all pre-op considerations, what else

do I have to look forward to...??....there is a letter from my Dr. that has to be

written, justifying the need for the proceedure.....and what else...???....

question:: I am a lifelong skim milk drinker...is this going to become a problem..??

question:: am I going to be hungrey all the time..??...

question:: how about eggs as a source of protein..??

question:: and how do I deal with social alcohol drinking...can I..??..no no..???

question:: how long a period of time between first Dr.'s consultation, and

the actual proceedure..??...., as the holidays are approaching.......

question:: does the lap band stay on for Life...??

question:: I take a number of meds each day, that are for chronic conditions,

does the band effect the potency of the mgs. I take now...???

question:: how does one know when a "fill" is needed..??

question:: I have had two spinal surgeries...does that play anypart in my being

considered as an apt candidate..???:party:

Edited by Francoise65

Have read about the "sleep Lab" required for all pre-op considerations, what else

do I have to look forward to...??....there is a letter from my Dr. that has to be

written, justifying the need for the proceedure.....and what else...???....

question:: I am a lifelong skim milk drinker...is this going to become a problem..??

question:: am I going to be hungrey all the time..??...

question:: how about eggs as a source of Protein..??

question:: and how do I deal with social alcohol drinking...can I..??..no no..???

question:: how long a period of time between first Dr.'s consultation, and

the actual proceedure..??...., as the holidays are approaching.......

question:: does the lap band stay on for Life...??

question:: I take a number of meds each day, that are for chronic conditions,

does the band effect the potency of the mgs. I take now...???

question:: how does one know when a "fill" is needed..??

question:: I have had two spinal surgeries...does that play anypart in my being

considered as an apt candidate..???:unsure:

I did not have to do a sleep lab or sleep study at all. I had to get an abdomninal ultrasound to make sure I didn't have gall stones, if I did I would have had to have my gall bladder taken out before the surgery. I had to get a ton of blood work, EKG, chest xrays, a consult with a nutritionist, a psych evaluation by a psychologist, letter of recommendation from my MD, BMI of 40 or above with no co-morbidities, or 35 and above with co-morbidities. I was at a 40.8 with no co-morbidities.

It took me about 2 months to complete all the tests before I got my surgery although I could have done it as quickly as 4 weeks. My doc required a 2 week pre op liquid diet, so I had to allow time for that. It is a pretty fast process, pending you have no trouble with insurance approval.

You can still have skim milk but maybe not for a week or 2 after the surgery, I only just got banded on August 20th, so far I am not hungry all the time.

eggs are a great source of Protein, once you get to that point that you can have them again post op

I am really not sure about alcohol, I know we can have it again at some point but I am not sure when. You will have to go a period of time without it.

The lap band is made to stay in for life ALTHOUGH if you want to have it taken out, you can.

I am not sure about the meds, I know we can't have pills so you might need to have them compounded into a liquid or if they have a chewable version of it.

I get my first fill on 9/25 they usually do the first fill by 5 or 6 weeks depending on the doctor....and honestly I am not sure when after that. I think you need to get a few until you are comfortable- meaning eating, getting full and holding it down and still losing weight.

I am not sure about your prior surgeries, not sure what they would have to do with surgery. I hope this helps a little bit. I am sure their are other banders out there that can answer your questions more accurately but I thought I would jump in a try to help answer some...good luck! :)

I did not have to do the sleep studies, however it did take me a longer than 2 months to get this all done. I had to see my family doc for 6 months straight, loose weight to get to a bmi of btwn 45 and 50, get a psychiatric consult, see the dietician 2 times and have a nurse teaching session. In all it took me 7 months. I am scheduled to be banded on 9-8-08. Good luck to you!

im in rhe uk and it seems to be alot different here i had consultation waited for funding approval then had a pre op appointment which consisted of seeing a dieticain who gave me a weeks pre op diet a anethatist to discuss knocking me out who just chatted looked in my throat then i saw a nurse had bloods taken and swab for mrsa , then got weighed and was sent on my way no sleep studies or ekg's etc

most of your questions your preop nurse can answer all iv been told is be carefull with social drinking as alcohole is full of calories

Many thanks for the immediate responses to my many questions..!!!!

it means a lot to be gathering all this information.....and to see the

wildly different experiences that you've had collectively....it's

becoming closer and closer to starting the process since having gotten all this info....I feel that I'll know more of what's going to

happen to me.....

Thanks again.....:)

It all depends on what your doctor and your insurance require. Mine did not ask for the 6 months with the family doctor but I did it just in case. You should definately contact your insurance and see what they tell you they require, ( it will be different than what they tell your doctor).