Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow and Really Nervous! Have your pre-surgery wishes been granted?

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning and I am so incredibly nervous!

To lessen the anxiety, I've been going over all the reasons why I elected to have this procedure done: I want to be able to fit into my clothes again(!); I want to be healthy; I want to be able to run without pain in my back and feet from all the excess weight; I want to be more confident; I want to LIVE instead of hiding from the embarassement of being heavy. For these reasons, I am excited and hopeful for my future...

But at the same time, I am so scared. I have never had surgery before and I'm worried about what I will feel like after surgery.

For those of you who have had surgery, can you please tell me what I should expect to feel afterwards? Also, how have you felt about your choice to be banded? Any regrets? Have your pre-surgery wishes and desires for a banded life been fulfilled after weight loss?

Thanks so much.

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning and I am so incredibly nervous!

Congrats! I am not banded yet, so I can't tell you about that specific surgery. I have had two previous laproscopic surgeries, and they weren't really that bad. The pain (to me) was worse the first few hours after surgery but they gave me enough pain medicine that I slept through it. Of course, pain is relative to each person. From what I hear though, you really don't have a reason to be nervous.

congrates on being banded tom. i was banded last wed and i to was very nervous about the whole thing but it wasent bad at all my pain was kept under control with very good drugs and they gave me a script when i went home the next day. i was able to get pain meds every 3 hours and i made sure i got it for the first few hours after surgery but by 11 at nite i was up walking around with minimal pain i did experience it alot of neausea when i tried to sip my 1 ounce of Water every hour the up intil around 3oclock thurs but that soon faded as of sunday i only take pain meds at nite and that is to help get comfortable at nite because im in alill pain from all the walking iv been doing during the day i hope this helps you alil and good luck on surgery tomm im sure everything will go find

congratulations on your journey! everyone is nervous before surgery. i had second thoughts up until they put me under. i had never had surgery either... or an IV... or general anesthesia... or a breathing tube. i even asked for something to help me relax before my surgery because i thought i was going to hyperventilate. turned out i went from the last surgery of the day to the middle so there was no time for anything to relax me.

i don't know if you're spending the night in the hospital or going right home but that first night will be the most difficult. trying to find a way to stand up and how to lay back down hurts like a motherf#@!&%, i'm not gonna lie.

take your pain meds as often as it is prescribed and remember to stay hydrated... just because you may not be hungry, you still have to drink!

good luck tomorrow!!

Hi, my surgery is tomorrow too. i don't feel nervous, but then again I'm not sleeping yet! As for surgery, it is no biggie. You might feel groggy when you wake up, but you will be well medicated for pain. You won't remember anything from when they wheel you in until it is all over. Love that part! Good luck, and let me know how you do, ok?