Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ramadan Fasting for Muslim Bandsters

On the night of the 10th, I had my worst reflux ever. Coughing continuously all night long. I tried to sleep sitting up but even then it was terrible. In the morning I tried a glass of tea, drank about half a cup slowly and then pb'd it up 1/2 an hour later. I was incapable of drinking Water all morning and feeling more and more miserable.

Around noon, I gave up. It was either going to be drive 4 hours for an unfill or go to the ER. I couldn't stand another single second of being miserable. I called the doctors office and they said they were open until 7 PM. My husband and I both took the afternoon off and drove to Cincinnati for an emergency unfill.

The nurse removed a slight amount, and it was instant relief. I can not tell you how good it felt. On the way home, we stopped for dinner at Max & Erma's restaurant and I had a cup of tortilla Soup (without tortillas) and it was absolutely the best thing I ever tasted. I could almost ingest nothing for days.

Today I feel like a million bucks. The relief has been wonderful and I can actually eat a little something. I drank a lot of Water today as well just to get my hydration back up.

So I don't know, did Ramadan fasting kick this issue off for me??? I don't think it was the fasting during the day but I suspect the eating and then laying down on top of a really tight band that might have contributed to it.

I have a fill appointment for the 23rd of September to re-evaluate how I am doing and feeling after the unfill to see if further adjustments are necessary in either direction. I am just going to see how it goes for now.

I originally intended this thread to chronicle fasting for 30 days, but I never really expected that it would lead to band problems like it has. I was going to give it my best effort, and if it wasn't working well I was going to go back to banded life as usual. I did not think it was possible for it to snowball into an emergency unfill. I guess I still have a few things to learn about banding, that's for sure.

This has been a fascinating read, Heather. You are obviously very dedicated to your religious observances and have tried very hard to practice your belief. I'm sorry it didn't work out the way that you wanted but pleased to hear that you have done the sensible thing and gotten the unfill and foregone the trigger of fasting and late night eating. I hope that the alternative of feeding the hungry is a satisfying one for you. Good luck with your journey!

Wow Heather thanks for keeping us posted

Very glad to hear that you had instant relief after your defill.

I would err on the side of caution on the Turkey trip. I think it is much better to get another defill, than to run into problems while travelling.

I am sure you will have a fabulous time. (jealous)

I can just imagine basking in the sunshine, swimming in clean Water, and eating copius amounts of helwa ----------

Heather----What a wonderful spiritual effort you are making! It is beautiful.

I just want to say that when you were talking about the swelling, reflux etc --I was concerned that the basic problem may be dehydration rather that food. I do believe that those of us who are banded need to be extra careful about dehydration. Do you wear any rings? If so--are you noticing any tightness of rings when you wake in the AM?? If so --that is a sign of dehydradtion. It may be that you could continue a modified fast that at least includes a safe and healthy amount of Water during the day. If that doesn't work---perhaps a purposely bland supplement of Protein drink during the day---some sort of drink that you will not enjoy or that will distract your spiritual intentions---just something that will nurish your body enough to allow you continue to focus on devotion. Best wishes.

My wife has had 3 unfills before she could start eating properly, me I've had 3 fills and still have little restriction.

After my emergency unfill, I eventually gained 4 pounds between the unfill to the refill on 9/23. I have not fasted at all

I was horrified by how hard it was without a fill. I went from not being hungry (and sometimes ask myself "omg I missed lunch 2 hours ago and didn't notice") to the moment my eyes opened in bed I was thinking about BREAKFASSSTTTT. I felt like I could eat a horse. I actually was able to eat bread and rice again during this time. It was a continuous struggle with constant hunger and the food obsession that was missing since banding returned the very day I got the unfill. I really did my best to curb overeating. I had a few indulgences, of course, but tried not to overdo it and stay healthy in choices.

I got a fill on Tuesday and, thank goodness for such sweet relief, I am back in the game again without too much damage being done. I am officially at my previously stated weight of 150. I didn't have the heart to change my stats in the wrong direction, but now that they are true again I feel like I am back on the losing band wagon.

I will get an unfill for certain before Ramadan next year . . . but perhaps just a small one.

I am so glad that you were able to get relief with the unfill. I am also glad that I was able to witness (from your posts) your dedication to your faith. Keep up the good work.