Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ramadan Fasting for Muslim Bandsters

Yesterday was the first day of fasting for me and I found that it was more difficult than in previous years when I wasn't banded.

During fasting, I usually eat two meals, one before 5:00 AM and one after 8:00 PM (the time continually changes every day). Between these times during the day, I can not ingest anything orally, even Water. I try to preface every meal with two cups of water so that I stay hydrated and also drink water during the night, but it is slow going with tight restriction.

I am having a rough go of it. I am not hungry during the day so that part is soo much easier than before. However, I am feeling really easily light headed and weak. I have also found that eating at night disturbs my sleep unless I wait a long time before going to bed.

Are there any other bandsters out there who have fasted, and if so, any suggestions on getting through this stage a little easier?

HeatherO,

I am also fasting this month of Ramadan. Yesterday was also a hard day for me. Not eating during the day doesn't bother me, it's the not drinking. I usually drink Water all day long. It's hard to eat an early AM meal and then turn around and eat a meal at night when it's late.

I got up at 3:45 am this morning so that I would have the time to eat before time to fast. This morning I had 2 glasses of water, a small bowl of oatmeal, and 1/2 a piece of toast. Last night I ate very little. When I broke my fast last night, I ate 1-2 dates. Try it...it really does help. Take it easy and try to allow yourself more time to eat.

Ramadan Mubarak.

As someone who doesn't fast, and is amazed you do this for a whole month??? My only suggestion would be, in the AM try to preface eating with something warm to loosen you up, then try to eat something that 'sticks' with you all day.. Protein & high Fiber.

At night to keep from having the sleep problems, whatever you eat, make sure before you finally go to bed, you drink a full bottle of Water to clean out the pouch and keep from anything bothering you throughout the night.

I have been thinking about using Water in a way considered inappropriate, such as drinking after eating with a reduced timeframe to wait in this special case. Today was a lot better than yesterday, but I think that might be because I made sure to drink a lottt of Water and eat healthy options. I also added a shake as well at night to bolster my calories a little because I just can't eat much in such tight timeframes.

I am not sure if I can lose much weight during this unusual eating pattern. I have been losing steadily and am afraid to mess up a good thing . . . a routine that is working for me. I guess I will see how it goes.

Wow it's great that you guys are looking for ways to make this work!

I do not fast, but I suggest doing a little research on low glycemic foods, and foods that take longer to digest. I am thinking that they will make you feel satieted longer.

I am Jewish and will be honest in saying I am not familiar with the Muslim traditions. In the Jewish faith, even the most orthodox, are allowed to bend rules for health reasons. If it will detrimental to ones health to fast, then you are allowed to break the fast as minimally as possible so as not to harm oneself. If for health reasons, one is allowed to eat forbidden foods. Does the Muslim faith have any such exceptions?

I am Jewish and will be honest in saying I am not familiar with the Muslim traditions. In the Jewish faith, even the most orthodox, are allowed to bend rules for health reasons. If it will detrimental to ones health to fast, then you are allowed to break the fast as minimally as possible so as not to harm oneself. If for health reasons, one is allowed to eat forbidden foods. Does the Muslim faith have any such exceptions?

It is the same for us. If we are sick, vomitting, pregnant, etc. we do not have to fast. If I find that I am really sick, I will break the fast. I am trying to break through discomfort or lightheadedness and getting used to fasting again.

I really want to make a strong go of this but I do have it in the back of my mind that if it becomes too difficult physically I can discontinue. I also want to make sure that I am not giving in too quickly or using my band as an excuse because the first days of fasting are difficult for everyone.

I won't risk my health for it, and I am not sure if I can last the 25+ days remaining without breaking fast . . . but I will try my best.

I applaud you for your efforts and wish you much success.

I am not sure I would be able to get all my food and or Proteins in during this time. However, I know that were suppose to rely on meats and such for Protein... but during this time if I was you I would rely more on the liquid Protein even the Protein Shots to make sure I was staying healthy.

Well, three days down with fasting and I was able to follow-through perfectly without feeling too bad. However, today I needed to break my fast. :0(

Last night I had dinner. I started with 1 cup of Water, 1 date (traditional food to break the fast), red lentil Soup (which is my favorite post banding food by the way) which took me about 40 minutes to finish a small bowl of Soup. Then I took a break and decided to eat a little of the main course. I made eggplant mussakka which is band friendly in that it contains eggplant, groundbeef, onions, peppers, garlic in a Tomato based sauce which is soft and easy to eat. This is easy and filling banding food for me . . . usually . . . but not last night. I ate about 1/4th cup and then pb'd everything back up, including some of the soup that still had not gone down from more than an hour before.

So a while later I had a cup of milk, which I have if I know I am not getting enough in. I later went to bed. I had a couple of coughing fits in the night, with a little reflux. Around 3:30 in the morning, I sat bolt upright and ran to the bathroom where I vomitted (not pb'd). It was one of those instantaneous things where if I had to go 5 steps further, I never would have made it in time.

I went back to bed, got up at 4:15 to prepare Breakfast for my family which we ate at about 4:45. I had a cup of tea and a thin Protein shake . . . which I pb'd about 5 minutes after I got it down (trying to will myself not to pb if you know what I mean). What was more concerning is that there was more to that pb then just tea and shake, so obviously I had a blockage and not everything was going down.

I could not even get Water down in the morning which gave me about 1 cup for all of yesterday. Also I have gone up 1 pound, which makes me crazy since I can not ingest hardly anything for days and the scale seems to be mocking my efforts at trying to get in some nutrients and hydration.

So, I am very sad but I know that today is a loss. I can not fast today because I could not get in much yesterday. Today I am getting in plenty of liquid nutrition to offset a none-to-enjoyable evening.

I also do not know if I can keep fasting in coming days, but I will try. Fasting is a very important part of my life and something to look forward to, but I think I need to accept that my body is changed after surgery. I think my lesson learned is that I need to consider an unfill once a year for about a month.

I am not sure why I got so sick. I am also noticing that each night is getting a little more difficult to ingest anything. Could it be the date I ate??? Is my band just a lot tighter from having not used it throughout the day??? Could reduced hydration affect my stomach???

You might be on to something Heather with the not using it part.

I think the combo of lack of hydration and not eating throughout the day is keeping the band and your stomach tight. I wish I had a suggestion for you.. I just drink something hot in the morning that seems to loosen me up and then wait a bit and eat my Breakfast.< /p>

Can you start with something liquidy and hot?

Hi Heather

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. I love dates and figs and eat them quite regularly. I know everyone's band experience is different.

You seem like a very sensible person, and whatever is best for YOU is between you and Allah (sp?) I am sure you will be guided to the right answer.

I hope you are feeling well soon.

Heather and NewImage,

You two are to be commended to trying so hard to adhere to the fast. As you've mentioned, the beginning of the fast is difficult for everyone and it is this self-sacrifice that supports your purification. Remember the blessings that you have received in this year, including your banding and your health. Although it is appropriate for you to practice restraint, and it is pleasing to know that both of you will try very hard first, be willing to accept it if you must make exception. Hopefully this year you can discover some good strategies for helping you next year!

I applaud you for living your faith. Most of us make excuses for the "hard stuff" (myself included). I am not Muslim so I do not know your fasting rule but couldn't you at least have some Water during the day? Maybe cut back from the norm to honor your beliefs but have a few glasses during the day to stay hydrated. With the band I just think it might be safer.

God is merciful and blesses your intentions. Such mercies include feeding the hungry instead and making up those days missed. Good luck on your fast.

I am still fasting from food when I can but it is irregular. When I break my fast, it is usually only with Water and not food.

Most days now, I am not fasting because it was taking too much of a toll on my body. I can not go without the Water during the day for more than one day . . . because I feel weak and dizzy and zombie-like and sometimes if I stand up to quickly the world seems to gray out around the edges and I feel like I am going to pass out.

I think I am getting dehydrated because I just can't get enough in. It can take me a good 30 minutes plus to get in one glass of water because it is trickling down soo slow. I have been adding in Protein shakes, but they go down slow as molasses as well. I can not dedicate 3+ hours in the middle of the night just to drinking something hot, eating plus the additional hour of wait time to make sure it clears the pouch before I sleep.

I think my band is almost closed at night, even though I can eat during the day. To be honest, I am not surprised by this because I was like many others, I could never eat Breakfast, I could only drink it and had to wait until mid morning to do so.

I had rare and occasional reflux before (couple of times a month) . . . now I have it nightly if I eat anything at night. It doesnt taste acidy but I am waking up coughing and I have to spit out whatever is in my mouth or it will happen again. It is like my stomach contents are just sitting idly in my pouch . . . all dressed up with nowhere to go.

2 nights ago, I actually had a reflux dream. I was driving an airplane and trying to get away from bad people (I can't remember the specifics). I remember I kept having to spit throughout the dream and would go to the dream restrooms, take care of business and then felt the same desire to spit almost constantly. So I am driving this airplane and having difficulty keeping it level since I am always over/under compensating with the stick. I felt my mouth was full. I couldn't leave the cockpit so I opened the window (only in a dream) and spit out on the street below. I immediately woke up with a wet pillow. I spit in my dream but I had a slimy, wet pillow to show it was real. I have never done this before in my life, that I can remember anyway. I guess I need to attribute it to too many days of disturbed sleep patterns minimizing the veil between waking and nonwaking consciousness.

My husband is sad and dismayed that I have been so uncomfortable lately. He is becoming concerned about my health and wants me unfilled as soon as possible. He says he is beginning to think that being banded is a mistake, even though I have lost the weight. He said nothing is worth risking my health.

I have scheduled a partial unfill for September 23rd. If it is an emergency, I can go in sooner but that also involves a 4 hour drive. At this point, I will be eating during the day and will drink nothing other than an occasional sip of water at night.

I feel good about the unfill because I need to nip this reflux before it damages my band. I am also at 150 now which is only 10 pounds from goal and I have been losing steadily. I am sure I can make it to goal even with a slight unfill because my lifestyle accomodates weight loss now, even if it takes a little longer to get there.

I am also going to Turkey for three weeks in mid-October and I don't want to be sick while I am there. I also know that I could potentially gain a little in Turkey because Turkish cuisine is very band friendly if you forgo the bread and the sweets. Most main dishes have the meat chopped finely and is usually simmered in vegetables and sauces with olive oil. There is usually yogurt near which helps everything go down well and is good for you. Soups are very healthy and filling and the salads are usually light without having lettuce as the primary component sprinkled with a little lemon, olive oil and salt. Whole meats and vegetables are the basis of the diet and not much of what you eat is processed at all. We eat almost entirely Turkish cuisine at home and my entire family loves it.

I am willing to risk a slight, sensible gain during vacation. I am also looking forward to the uninterrupted, untroubled sleep of a non-reflux sufferer. In the future, I will definitely be getting an unfill every year before Ramadan.

This year is a bit of a loss . . . and I think even as a write this that I will not be fasting anymore this year. The only way to get back on track is to either make up the fasting days missed or feed an appropriate amount of hungry people. I don't want to extend the fast because I will likely continue to suffer from the same problems, so I will make some financial contributions to help feed the hungry which will help offset my inability to fast.