Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well. The weather has been pretty rough here. We have 11,000 people here from new orleans so are schools are closed as they are being used for shelters. I couldn't get ANY sleep last night from debrie falling loudly on my roof and a freaked out lab barking at the wind and rain in my room and trying to sneak on the bed.

But all is still great. When I get off work I'm going to go through my house and gather wash cloths, towels, and clothes to bring to the shelters.

I feel so sorry for the people back in the shelters again. I am wishing a speedy recovery to poor New Orleans. Thank God people were better prepared this time.

Some people are angry that we have evacs here. They are complaining about a possible crime rise, the length of lines at McDonald's, and saying that God is trying to wipe New Orleans off the map. Stupid people.

My heart goes out to all in New Orleans, what is wrong with these people saying things like that :tt2: good on you for doing something positive. Hope the storm goes quickly, i can't even imagine what it would be like being from NZ, we do get the occaisonal end of a cyclone but NOTHING compared, hope your roof stays intact :thumbup:

I too cannot relate at all to the situation, but my heart does go out to those who are displaced. I'm sure your generosity will be appreciated; thank heavens there are people who think like you, and not everyone is an ignoramus!

Honestly I can see both sides of the situation here.. regarding the crime rate aspect. Being in Texas and helping out at a church after the Katrina incident I was disgusted to see what a lot of the victims said and did.

We got a few busloads of folks in and we had Jason's deli for them. When they got off the bus and got their food several started bitching about how "this wasn't good enough for them and this is what you feed us after what we've been through".. a lot of them, even with job offers didn't want to work and blew their money that the government gave them on booze, tiddy bars, designer purses... and yes, our crime rate did go up in Dallas and Houston BIG TIME, especially after their government money ran out.

So, there is some truth in what those people say. Now, the whole "god punishing" thing, very stupid and the lines at mcdonald's.. who cares... nobody should be eating there anyway... lol. But, I can understand about the other part.

A lot of the victims wanted to play victims for way too long and are STILL playing victims... not wanting to work and griping about what they were given for free.. and that really put a bad taste in my mouth with the whole thing. Of course, there were many who were appreciative and did get back on with their lives. I'm definitely not saying they all did that. This is just my opinion, sorry if it offends but it's how I feel seeing it first hand

I think it's a shame that Gustav has hit and displaced so many of the folks who were wanting to go back and get on with their lives and support thier beloved city of New Orleans. It's very sad.

I agree Cool Crystal, I think that tragedies like this can bring out either the best or the worst in people. I hope that if something like that happens to me I'm not the one complaining about the food and bitching that the pillows aren't fluffy enough.

Then again, our crime increase was mostly isolated to the shelters. It was people attacking the people in the shelter they were sharing. I find that so sad, I mean your there just trying to survive and their is noone to protect you, you don't know where your family is and you are sharing shelters with dangerous people. When they did a check in one shelter they found that over 30 in 100 had outstanding warrants. (I'm talking about Katrina)

Gustav they were better prepared, but still they didn't have everything they needed and when people are forced from their home or when bad things happend to them they become "Oh woe is me" sometimes. I get like that everytime I have a fill and can't eat for three days.

Now a year after Katrina we still had people living rent free in FEMA trailers, and that is ridiculous. They were pretty nice too, but the thing is I'm willing to help, but not support someone. I see what your saying totally. Me and My GF actually argued about this yesterday. When is it time to say, Alright we've helped enough move along? At some point it stops becoming help and becomes enabling...but where is that point?