Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days later - Still sharp pain at port site

Si this normal? I was bended on the 28th and have had no complications. Its just when I move a certain way I feel a shrp pinch near the port. Like a stab - is this normal?

K

I have felt that also, but for some reason they say you can feel your port but i can't, but i do get this sharp pain while bending

My port is in the middle of my abdomen but if I hit it (like leaning up against the kitchen counter) it hurts like the dickens. And I am still tight when I breathe deeply. I was banded early AM 8/29 so I'm not far behind you. I'd say yes it's normal. Try to not pinch it and let it heal, if possible (I know it's hard! we move our torsos!)

I'm not sure...my husband says he thinks my biggest one is the one the doc used to get the band "inside". The nurse in recovery told me my port was smack in the middle of my abdomen (odd spot; I'll confirm with my surgeon LOL) and it isn't as long or wide as the one on my left side (the one my DH thinks is the port of entry for the band). I'm just trying to remember to stretch and breathe deeply to help keep me from getting adhesions...things will heal better that way.

yea i thought my larger incision was the band but guess i will have to wait n see. are you eating any mushies or solids yet?

NO! and I'm hungry! My surgeon is very conservative I guess. 1st week we get ONLY Water, broth, and Jello (sugar free). That's IT. 2nd week we get to add in Protein Shakes. (eee haw) Week 3 is mushies like pudding, yogurt, refried beans...then week 5 we start solids (soft solids). I think during the mushie phase I can grind stuff up to babyfood consistency and eat it....

I'll know more for sure after my 1st post op appt weds. That is going to be a day of getting info for me!

I know we're supposed to just have liquids to let our stomachs and bands heal, but I want to be more clear on what I can have when.

Hi There!

The large incision is right around where your port is, and no, it's not unusal for you to still feel "pinching" at the site. Since it's only been 5 days since your surgery, you're still healing.

Congratulations and good luck!

well I have 2 large incisions so I will just have to ask my doc where my port is, and why they are both so big!

I was banded a little over two weeks ago and as of two days ago I'm finally not sore around my port incision (the long incision).

Si this normal? I was bended on the 28th and have had no complications. Its just when I move a certain way I feel a shrp pinch near the port. Like a stab - is this normal?

K

Yeah, I still have that pain sometimes. But last week, I lifted something heavy and it took a whole week for me to start feeling better. I have one big hole, but my doc says my port is a little lower and to the side of the hole. The hole also got hard on top and many people had the same thing...scar tissue, I guess.

I know I just keep reminding myself that the port and stitches were sewn into our abdominal muscles and those muscles run horizontally, so it's natural for us to feel those pains in that area. And why it's so important to not lift and bend certain ways.

I'm right at 4 weeks post op and I still feel pain if I bend in a funny way. I think this is normal. With it being sutured into the abdominal muscle it's expected to take longer to be completely pain free.

Guest Leslie2Lose

You need to call your doctor and get them to check you out. I was banded in April (4/10) - I had a lot of port site pain myself. Not knowing what to expect I let it go believing it was normal recovery pain. I went for my first fill at the end of May and found out my port had flipped. My pain was from the stitches being ripped and the port moving around. I wish I would have called when I suspected something was wrong - which was week one. I was late on my fills because of revision surgery. It delayed my progress - but everything has been corrected. You'd rather be safe than sorry.

I don't have ANY port pain (banded 8/25) but I have pain below the port incision. I figure there are some stitches there and they keep pulling. Got worse this AM when my 2 year old started to fall and I tried to keep her from it! Didn't work, she still fell and I got hurt in the process too!!! Now it's burning a little. Need to take some pain meds and I'll feel better soon. Next week I see my surgeon for my post-op appt and I'll ask him about it then but if it does get worse, then I'll call before-hand.

I have 5 incisions. One on my breastbone and four along the front of my abdomen. The one above and the two to the outside are all small and the two to the inside are larger, the one to the left being the largest.

Oh! Forgot to add that I can feel exactly where my port is. It's above the largest incision and you can even tell about here he might be sticking the needle for a fill! Kinda cool, kinda weird! Big man, firefighting, EMT, DH won't touch it! LOL!! I keep feeling it, it's really just so strange!!

(Yes, I'm weird and I do know that!)