Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric band problems?

Hi all, just a quick one for you , i had my gatric band fitted in october last year and since only had one fill.

Since Saturday i have had alot of problem getting any sort of food or liquid downs.

Although it eventually goes down it seem to feel like its getting caught near my chest bone.

I would like to say for the past four months i've had quite a lot of emotional trauma and i'm wondering if it may be psychological and not actually my band.

Any idea's or advice welcome

Thanks

:smile:

I would call the surgeons office, for advice.

Totally agree.

They are the best people to give you information, advice and reassurance. I wouldn't deny the part emotional issues can play, they are very important. At the very least, see your GP.

Hi Sillybro,

The other posters are right, you do need to see your GP or surgeon. I'm in a similar predicament. I've been trying to ignore the fact I am probably needing an unfill. Although I am also distraught that I can eat Haggen Daaz (admittedly pre band I could probably eat so much more!) easy peasy but the healthy food I cook, I can only manage a few mouthfuls and lord help me if I drink something to early!

It's weird I seem to go through peaks and troughs, but I think my sweet spot isn't as sweet as it should be. I think emotional issues do have an impact, also the visiting of aunty flo (nice way of saying monthlies:blink:) does have an impact.

I have made the decision now to go and see the surgeon tomorrow. Last time I had a slight unfill, I did lose more weight, I hope that will happen again. Weird, Iknow.

I hope things get sorted for you.

Suzy

Hi, thanks for the replies, saw GP as can't afford to go private, the problem i have now is my appointment isn't til the 10th october, i have now not eaten solid food for two weeks only managing cuppa Soups and quavers.. i am losing about 5 pound a week and not feeling great.

Any ideas please:confused:

Silika

Silika, I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering so badly! One thing you need to do, is try to get some supplemental Vitamins into you. You can get liquid vits, they would be well worth investing in.

The one drink I have found that has been benefitial to me, is a cup of hot bovril with some grated cheeses thrown in. I used it a lot when I had my first fill, I couldn't eat enough to get all the nutrients I needed. This at least addressed the balance.

I know liquids are frustrating and the yearning for something you can chew and feel different textures. But there will be a time when you will have that. It is horrid that you have to wait so long! What PCT are you under?

Suzy

PCT= Primary Care Trust. Your local NHS.

Who did you have fit your lapband?

You can't live on what you are, for any length of time! No wonder you're feeling so awful. I think it might be worth going back to your GP and ask if there is any chance to have an emergency appointment. Point out that you are not getting the right nutrients and the amount of weight you are losing every week. Even with the band you should only lose 1-2lbs a week.

I hope you will be able to get this sorted

Suzy

I had my op at Dolan Park, i have spoke to staff there but really can't afford the £125 they require. I'm booked in to Kings Mill hospital In Mansfield Notts.

I'm going to ring the GP tomorrow and try and get in. I know what i am eating is not enough to keep me going, i have a very physical job as a lorry driver and feel totally drained. Usaually manage 2 cuppa Soups a day and the odd sip of fresh orange juice.

Thanks so much for taking time out to post me advice.

Silika :sad:

Hi Everyone, well i have been in hospital 6 days and what a farce, its amazing how unhelpful consultants can be when you have paid privately.

After 6 days in hospital they have now decided to discharge me after being rehydrated and i have an appointment at Derby city hospital next Wednesday.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Well i'm back lol.

Still haven't eaten since August Bank holiday. Had a barium meal at Derby and my band is fine, they think that my stomach has swollwn due to stress. I have nothing in my band and still can not eat.

I'm now on a week of build up drinks until the consultants make a decision.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks

Silika:thumbdown:

hi steve my name is martin from bilsthorpe i have a planned opperation in prauga in august 09 , i would love to have a chat if posible about the opp and anything you may think of which would assist me ,please take my email address as i have a bussiness at blidworth thanks .martin.smith@mgsplanthirelimited.co.uk or telephone 07966554915

Hi, I too have a very tight band at the moment and have spoken to a nurse this morning - she advised that I try sucking Ice, ice pops and have cold drinks as they reduce the swelling inside. Don't drink anything for about 1/2 hr after getting up in the morning and don't drink much or after 7pm at night (I have been having issues at night where gloopy Fluid builds up at the back of my throat). I have to say I think the ice is better than trying to drink Hot Drinks - it goes down easier. Hope this helps a little.