Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Husband overweight and jealous

Has anyone had any problem with their marriage since losing weight? My husband likes the new me, but is so overly jealous and protective. He has even accused me of things that aren't happening. It has been very painful and is hurting our marriage. Any words of wisdom?

Has anyone had any problem with their marriage since losing weight? My husband likes the new me, but is so overly jealous and protective. He has even accused me of things that aren't happening. It has been very painful and is hurting our marriage. Any words of wisdom?

It might be time to see a counselor. If he won't go with you, go alone. This might help to address why he is feeling insecure in your marriage. I have read on this and other forums about the changes in a marriage after one spouse loses weight.

I am going through something similar. My hubby has been moody lately and is making comments about him feeling/being fat. He is very much apple shaped, where he has lean arms and legs and carries his weight in his belly. He is trying to lose weight, but not in a healthy way. He will eat only one meal a day sometimes, or spend a few hours a day in the gym. I keep trying to explain that he cant go about it that way, but he doesnt want to hear it. I have talked to my mom about it and she thinks he is just insecure. I asked him if hes up to going to counceling but he says no. So really, I dont have any good advice for you since I am in the same boat with no solutions, but I wanted to share so you know you are not alone. Good Luck!

Maybe you should do some fun activities together. Walking, rollerblading, window shopping, golf.:) This will help him and you lose some weight and hopefully will make him feel that your really the same person that loves him even though your becoming a different person. Build up his confidence. Tell him you want him to be as healthy as your going to be and if the two of you work as a team you'll have the rest of your lives together.

My DH is somewhat overweight, but has been benefitting from my banding. Although I have never commented on his weight (or he, mine) he has commented that maybe he too could stand to lose a few pounds. So, although he has little interest in increasing his physical activity, he has started to eat smaller portions, and his nighttime snacking is certainly reduced. Perhaps over time he will also want to do more things, but I don't advise/suggest he do anything (in relation to food or exercise). He is an adult. If he wants to join me in a morning swim at the Y, or a brisk walk at night, or anything else, he can, but I only ask once and I never comment one way or another.

It is somewhat disturbing to read the number of threads about troubled relationships, jealousy etc. as bandsters take charge of their health and change lifestyles. So far, DH and I have not encountered these issues...I hope this is not our experience!

Edited by tapshoes
Another blasted typo - I really must proof-read!