Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking Pills = how do you do it?

I know we have to crush pills. BUT - when you are on the liquid diet, how do you take bitter crushed pills? Are capsules okay? I take Metaform or whatever that stupid name is and it is HUGE. Also, my blood pressure pill is huge. And how do you crush them? My Pharmacy compounds and will make things for me, but will insurance cover? I guess I am just freaking out again.

Do they taste nasty??? I know - what a big baby.

I remember when my Mother In Law had a stroke we crushed her pills and put them in applesause. No can do on the liquid phase. Now I wish I took less pills.< /p>

Metformin comes in a liquid form. It's nasty though. And yes you can mix them with watered down applesauce (at least my dr's allow it).

teri

Thank you, I checked out chewable Vitamins today. They have adult, when I asked about kids, they told me you would have to take three or four. Guess that is a bad deal.

I don't like liquid meds so I am going to have to crush. But my goal is to get smaller and smaller dosages down the road. Already my Blood Pressure is down. It is around 100/60 consistantly so I may have to cut one pill in half as it is. Who would have thought 10 to 15 pounds would make a difference. Good Grief!

They're talking about taking my diabetes meds off me completely just loosing the 27 pounds I've lost. I'm consistantly running low.

Teri

I crush mine...and they taste GROSS! But I am off of my anti-depressants since they are time released capsule. Anyone know how to take those? I can't open them up and add them in with the other gross pills due to the time release. I am a bit worried about being off of my happy pills so early in the game.

They're talking about taking my diabetes meds off me completely just loosing the 27 pounds I've lost. I'm consistantly running low.

Teri

Teri, CONGRADULATIONS - THAT IS FANTASTIC! You have made ENORMOUS progress! Keep up the excellent work. You Deserve more than just one thumbs up! :laugh::thumbs_up::cool2::thumbs_up::w00t:

:thumbup:

I crush mine...and they taste GROSS! But I am off of my anti-depressants since they are time released capsule. Anyone know how to take those? I can't open them up and add them in with the other gross pills due to the time release. I am a bit worried about being off of my happy pills so early in the game.

I spoke to my Pharmacist. I am also going to ask the Dr. Maybe the little balls will just slip on down with Water, but I was told NOT to crush those pills.

But you should speak to your Doctor for sure

I spoke to my Pharmacist. I am also going to ask the Dr. Maybe the little balls will just slip on down with Water, but I was told NOT to crush those pills.

But you should speak to your Doctor for sure

I have had 4 different consults on this. Two said just split it apart and sprinkle it and 2 have said under no conditions take it apart. I take Cymbalta which is relatively new. I am somewhat worried about being off of my anti-depressants right now...But not sure what else to do. I am too chicken just to try one of the 30s (which are the smaller capsules) to see if it will go down. :thumbup:

If you hear anything new, let me know!

Thanks,

Chris

I know we have to crush pills. BUT - when you are on the liquid diet, how do you take bitter crushed pills? Are capsules okay? I take Metaform or whatever that stupid name is and it is HUGE. Also, my blood pressure pill is huge. And how do you crush them? My Pharmacy compounds and will make things for me, but will insurance cover? I guess I am just freaking out again.

When my son was an infant (a preemie) he was on a few meds that had to be compounded and our insurance covered all but one of them.

Speak to your pharmacist about which pills are safe to crush and buy a pull crusher (available in the pharmacy dept of most large stores).

Metformin comes in an extended release and regular, so you need to verify which you have before crushing them!

If you mix your crushed pills with a warm liquid (broth, tea) they will dissolve more quickly...

Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, I checked out chewable Vitamins today. They have adult, when I asked about kids, they told me you would have to take three or four. Guess that is a bad deal.

I don't like liquid meds so I am going to have to crush. .... I may have to cut one pill in half as it is. Who would have thought 10 to 15 pounds would make a difference. Good Grief!

Hi Debbie, I worked with my PcP and my pharmacist and they found pills that were small enough for me to take, and also found a couple of pills that could be crushed or dissolved in Water. It took them a few days to find pills that I could get down.

....But you should speak to your Doctor for sure

I agree TALK with your Dr. They will help you find something that works for you.

You are one of the lucky ones.....I have lost about 40 lbs. (ticker doesn't match actual weight loss) and I still deal with high blood pressure and bunches of pills. I guess it is mostly heredity and no so much my diet after all--RATS!

Keep the lines of communication open with your surgeon and Primary Care Provider.--They will find what you need!